Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

STM Ricer 2011 Rebuild Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011 | 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

So it is some kind of proto type vaguely disguised as a 6765 then?
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
So it is some kind of proto type vaguely disguised as a 6765 then?

Honestly, I am not able to say what it is until all testing is done. It may or may not work.

-Em
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

subscribed!! look forward to seeing this thing in the 8s!!
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
Honestly, I am not able to say what it is until all testing is done. It may or may not work.

-Em
Can you say Sneaky?
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

great job guys...keep it up...
Old Apr 4, 2011 | 01:45 PM

In for results with new turbo
Old Apr 4, 2011 | 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

ride looks good. Good luck.
Old Apr 13, 2011 | 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

any updates emery
Old Apr 13, 2011 | 07:06 PM

Gorgeous!
Old Apr 13, 2011 | 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdowd
any updates emery

None yet. We have been slammed trying to get customer cars done.

-Em
Old Apr 13, 2011 | 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like the sticker wasnt originally for that turbine hehe. Does it really end in an ocho?
Old Apr 14, 2011 | 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
None yet. We have been slammed trying to get customer cars done.

-Em
that's good man sure you guys are swamped. Good to see you guys are busy and producing fast evos.
Old Apr 15, 2011 | 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

You guys make a kit out of your forward facing mani? All I see on your site is the header w/ turbo. None of the other accessories such as downpipe, dump tube, oil/coolant lines.
Old Apr 15, 2011 | 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Guerillah
You guys make a kit out of your forward facing mani? All I see on your site is the header w/ turbo. None of the other accessories such as downpipe, dump tube, oil/coolant lines.

We do. We build them to order right on a car here so it is sure to come out perfect every time. Just give us a call and we can get you setup.

thanks
-Em
Old Apr 16, 2011 | 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
sounds great Em. We measure blowby with a flow meter... which can be moved to different areas to attempt to measure contribution from particular components. This is done over the course of a 2000hr test between rated power and torque... its very indicative of problem areas related to blowby. I suppose you've never had any turbo on your car for more than 20 minutes at rated torque or power, so the durability validation of your particular setups only makes it through the infant mortality stage at best. Not trying to be antagonistic, just responding to the irony of your comment about if the turbo's hold together.

You have to look at the facilities that Borg Warner has compared to Precision... not to mention their test practices and manufacturing capabilities. Garrett technology is at least 15 years old and their new advent of the GTX wheel has been underwhelming at best... even by their own measure (compressor maps) Precisions billet wheels still lack significant aero development evident by their lack of a modern R&D facility necessary to produce such parts. Precision did very well selling large (70+mm) turbos with the garrett CHRA (big shaft) against the best wishes of Honeywell. Thus the falling out. I worked very closely with Precision during my time at HPF and they were the more affordable option for large frame BB turbochargers, which had been previously a niche market for garrett. GT42,45, 47, 50, and 55 IIRC. Being such a large retailer of PTE turbo's I was also privy to seeing a glimse into their failure rates.

That being said, I hope to test the new EFR turbo's very soon here and some other improved stock appearing options. From an engineer's perspective... the EFR series will outperform your Precision turbo in every effect... especially if you're still shifting gears. Not to mention monitoring turbo speed is a great indicator of having a boost leak! A simple check of the logs after a run will put your fears to rest. I'm sure you can meet or exceed your goals using the PTE turbos, as it has been done before and can most likely be repeated. However the new EFR turbocharger WILL outperform your precision turbocharger mm for mm in every aspect. I find it very difficult to understand that there could be ANY reason why you would use PTE turbo's over the BW units, unless of course its due to a relationship you've developed with PTE, which does not exist with BorgWarner. In that case it would look bad for you to be testing BW turbo's while representing Precision turbochargers.

I can only assume that is your perogative. I understand it from a business sense, but not from an engineering standpoint. If that is the case it will be interesting to see when or IF PTE is capable of producing lightweight titanium aluminide turbine wheels.... better bearing packages in their CHRAs... and furthermore the ability to make turbine housings that customers want *cough* twin scroll... not to mention using relatively advanced materials to do so. And the most overlooked aspect of the new BW turbochargers (IMO) is the efficiency of their turbochargers and flow per mm of compressor wheel. The turbocharger industry is changing and IMO changing faster than companies who simply re-lable and mix and match wheels, can keep up with. Especially companies who do not have the facilities to develope, not simply copy, NEW technology.

I'd like to think that I'm wrong when it comes to PTE's abilities to compete with the new BW units, but Newton's laws still applie to turbochargers leaving PTE, Garrett, etc far behind. I wish you the best of luck in 2011. Your #1 goal for weight reduction is spot on... and if that means leaving what is on the car AND works alone, then that's great. I can understand that and mark it up to good project management, rather than putting the blinders on to new technology. Either way I hope that you recognize the benefits and utilize them to your benefit.

-Eric
Exactly

Quick Reply: STM Ricer 2011 Rebuild Picture Thread