Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

New headunit/hvac set up!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
as i responded, yes, you do have to cut a part of the bracket
Or you can remove the bracket with only a couple 10mm bolts. No cutting needed. I did it this way with both my evos and both my hvac projects. Way easier.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O really? Looks like I'm installing it tonight then lol
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

So I took out the bracket on the left and just bent it up and out of the way. I got smart on the right side and just undid a couple of the bolts and then just bent it up. Hardest part was figuring out how to run the hvac lines to the box. Got it done though and it took me like 2 hrs to figure it out. Thanks so much guys and it was so easy but looks so amazing now!!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
i've been stalking their web page and anything regarding a release date. Wonder why it slipped so bad. The test unit they have seemed like it worked good.

I still haven't gotten my car back so I still haven't installed the Piorneed 140BT yet. If this came out I would install the pioneer in the wifes car (Stock nav sucks) and get this for my car.
I actually e-mailed them, and they just responded this morning:

Good morning Sam,

Thank you for your interest in Parrot.

The ASTEROID Smart will start shipping next Monday. It should hit the US stores in a couple of weeks.

The list of available apps will be posted on our website by launch.

Regards,
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

i will watch their site feverishly. Are you getting one for sure. I need someone with real world experience to give me the all clear. lol.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
i will watch their site feverishly. Are you getting one for sure. I need someone with real world experience to give me the all clear. lol.
i've been waiting for like crutchfield, amazon... i'm definitely getting it

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fNtVPO0...display=Parrot

Amazon Amazon

when it's on amazon you know it's coming for real!

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 4, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

FYI it's available now, for sure, I'm half waiting for reviews half weighing pros and cons of getting this vs rigging an android tablet.. the PITA of rigging the nexus vs running this thing. nexus is obviously way better in every way, but will require a data plan etc, and no idea how to rig something like that vs the plug n play parrot
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Waiting on your feedback as well, kyoo, on the Parrot ASTEROID Smart. I've been wanting to get rid of the POS head unit I've had since I bought my SE. It's not bad, but the poor resolution and the unresponsiveness during the colder temperature is driving me crazy!

Eric
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EricLee7481
Waiting on your feedback as well, kyoo, on the Parrot ASTEROID Smart. I've been wanting to get rid of the POS head unit I've had since I bought my SE. It's not bad, but the poor resolution and the unresponsiveness during the colder temperature is driving me crazy!

Eric
i'm still kiiiiiiiinda considering the custom w nexus7 but logistically will prob go w/ this. seems like it runs fast enough etc., it'll have everything i need i suppose. the only thing that i'm hesitant about is that it doesn't do turn by turn with google maps... no idea why. however, being android, i bet it can be rooted quickly and able to run whatever
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

i'm still kiiiiiiiinda considering the custom w nexus7 but logistically will prob go w/ this. seems like it runs fast enough etc., it'll have everything i need i suppose. the only thing that i'm hesitant about is that it doesn't do turn by turn with google maps... no idea why. however, being android, i bet it can be rooted quickly and able to run whatever
That was one thing I was wondering, would the user be able to download only the apps in the ASTEROID store? The selections are kinda crappy and doesn't have anything really useful. Does it have google maps built in? It doesn't seem like it...

Eric
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EricLee7481
That was one thing I was wondering, would the user be able to download only the apps in the ASTEROID store? The selections are kinda crappy and doesn't have anything really useful. Does it have google maps built in? It doesn't seem like it...

Eric
im pretty sure they have google maps, but it doesnt do turn by turn with it... must be something proprietary
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah my wife needs a new GPS double din so I'm contemplating biting the bullet and getting this and give her the Pioneer I've been sitting on since beginning of this year.

I'll be scouring the internet for reviews. Let me know what you decide kyoo. Now that its a reality I will to think long and heard. A nexus tablet while no doubt more functional seems like to too much of a PITA to be used in a car ATM.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

< decent run through

one thing I'm kinda looking forward to is either A, rooting this guy, and/or B, this guy getting updated easily/frequently

so, oddly enough it doesn't run google maps for navigation, but there are already work arounds to do so:

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 3, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Did they fail the Google testing to be allowed to use native Google API's?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:29 PM

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this:

Updated set up with factory style grain thanks to cjramos, perfect fit and finish!

YOU CAN GET THE SAME SETUP HERE:

http://www.prtc.net/~cjramos54/index.html for $155! way better than orbital!!!!

JDM Factory Bezel: http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_d...UMBER=00022810

+ your own double din head unit!

NEW SET UP:

hey how did you get your avic to sit that low? mine sits high for some reason and hits top of bezel and big gap on bottem.

Quick Reply: New headunit/hvac set up!