Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

New headunit/hvac set up!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been thinking hard on what to replace the POS double din unit that came with my car when I bought it 2 years ago. The top two contenders right now are Kenwood DNN990HD and the Parrot Asteroid Smart. I do like the price point of the Parrot (Kenwood is 3X as much), but I like the Garmin maps that comes with the Kenwood.

Eric
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
Oop - yea I am, well def not considering anything else at least.Thanks for all the good info you're posting in this thread -

as far as after rooting and putting google navigation on it, how do you download data for maps? Do you somehow store the map, or do you tether from your phone etc?
That is the one thing I have not figured out. SO there is no map you have to download. I believe it uses a combo of your wifi connection and GPS. BUT. It appears google navigation doesn't work very well (or at all) without being tethered to your phone via bluetooth (At least that has been my experience). The crazy thing is my GPS is disabled on the phone, BUT, when connected via bluetooth it gives uber accurate GPS data. Almost like it doesn't know how to use the onbaord GPS hardware with the radio until it connects to the phone.

I've been meaning to dig into that more. Thank you for reminding me. I'll see what I can find regarding that.

I prefer to use Google Navigation then google maps. Looks more like a traditional Navigation unit. I wish there was a way to use the new google maps but I don't think its possible with version of Android the Parrot runs.

I'll keep you posted.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EricLee7481
I've been thinking hard on what to replace the POS double din unit that came with my car when I bought it 2 years ago. The top two contenders right now are Kenwood DNN990HD and the Parrot Asteroid Smart. I do like the price point of the Parrot (Kenwood is 3X as much), but I like the Garmin maps that comes with the Kenwood.

Eric
I have used Garmin (Standalone) and my wife has a Pioneer AVIC140BT. Google Navigation blows them both out of the water. Not only with the way it looks and operates (to me) but accuracy of the maps. This by far the BIGGEST reason I like using Google navigation. There is nothing more maddening then trying to find some place that has been around for a few years and your navigation doesn't have it listed.

DEFEATS
THE
PURPOSE
OF
HAVING
NAVIGATION.

I love my Parrot. I've only had a few issues related to using it in a way not intended by the manufac.

I'm anxiously awaiting evoscan's app for Android to be released. I plan to install it or use Dash Command to display real time OBDII info as well and be able to clear DTC codes on the fly.

Until someone comes up with a kit to use Android or IOS tablets in the car and makes it a easy install this is by far the best dbl din HU out in terms of being able to customize and make it more of a mobile information center.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Only way turn by turn works on google navigation is with tethering. Small limitation.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Only way turn by turn works on google navigation is with tethering. Small limitation.
What about just regular Google Maps? That's the only thing that keeps me from biting the bullet and get the Parrot. Say if I'm up in the mountain where there is no cell reception, does that mean that I won't have access to the Google Maps/Navigation at all?

Eric
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

You will....it just needs to be tethered to your phone.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
You will....it just needs to be tethered to your phone.
i think he means if the cell doesn't have reception/data, it can't download the maps, as opposed to another headunit that stores the map
Old Sep 13, 2013, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
i think he means if the cell doesn't have reception/data, it can't download the maps, as opposed to another headunit that stores the map
^this
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Then yes it will not work. And I was incorrect you can download maps offline. So I would do that as a alternative.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by qiksilver
Of course once I find this thread he has stopped making the lower hvac piece...is anyone still making these? I really dont want a crappy orbital one
Major buzz-kill... I'm getting another IX & was hoping for a clean, OEM-type solution.

Too late, I guess...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Major buzz-kill... I'm getting another IX & was hoping for a clean, OEM-type solution.

Too late, I guess...
Check the site...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cyanide
Check the site...
I did--was trying to avoid an attempt @ making one myself lol
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

It looks like that Eden Customs setup is the only turn-key solution right now...

I'm wondering what the difference is w/ the 2 kits--why would they be different. This will be going on an MR.

http://www.edencustoms.com/#/evo-9-d...ion/4554330040
Old Dec 19, 2013, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

I did--was trying to avoid an attempt @ making one myself lol
Both my How To's were deleted, so I have to make a new one from scratch, and that will take a while. I just need some free time on my hands.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

It looks like that Eden Customs setup is the only turn-key solution right now...

I'm wondering what the difference is w/ the 2 kits--why would they be different. This will be going on an MR.

http://www.edencustoms.com/#/evo-9-d...ion/4554330040
The "surround" part is additional, and its purpose is to give it the recessed look as if it was the actual hvac surround from the factory trim.

Quick Reply: New headunit/hvac set up!