Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

New headunit/hvac set up!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
i dropped mine hard and it cracked a little (it's been uninstalled for a while) - still happy with mine (cyanide's)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that new 2015 headunit looks super slick!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the bump - haven't posted in a while, but I love my set up!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your head unit work for Android Only? #AppleGuy
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I know this thread is a few years old, but its great and I have a question for it. Based on this video, this guy said he needed to do some trimming to get the full range of motion on the HVAC, but so far it seems like he's the only one who says this needs to be done. Is this true? I havent seen it mentioned anywhere else

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2016, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo.matt
I know this thread is a few years old, but its great and I have a question for it. Based on this video, this guy said he needed to do some trimming to get the full range of motion on the HVAC, but so far it seems like he's the only one who says this needs to be done. Is this true? I havent seen it mentioned anywhere else https://youtu.be/mxYSjphwYSs?t=2m47s

Thanks
Yes. Some people trim it, others bend it in place while playing around with fitment. That part was molded from the ones I used to build, but it is a bit different in terms on how far in the controls fall in place. Once you have the part in your hands and see how it fits, you'll see exactly what needs to be bent or trimmed in order for the controls to move freely.
The following users liked this post:
evo.matt (Aug 29, 2016)
Old Aug 29, 2016, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
Is your head unit work for Android Only? #AppleGuy
yea, but you can get something that's apple compatible. any double din head unit will fit

Originally Posted by evo.matt
I know this thread is a few years old, but its great and I have a question for it. Based on this video, this guy said he needed to do some trimming to get the full range of motion on the HVAC, but so far it seems like he's the only one who says this needs to be done. Is this true? I havent seen it mentioned anywhere else https://youtu.be/mxYSjphwYSs?t=2m47s

Thanks
I did have to cut away the metal on the right side, it was rubbing against the temperature line. as soon as I cut it away, smooth turning of the knobs! Setup is perfect, I'm really happy with mine.

Originally Posted by cyanide
Yes. Some people trim it, others bend it in place while playing around with fitment. That part was molded from the ones I used to build, but it is a bit different in terms on how far in the controls fall in place. Once you have the part in your hands and see how it fits, you'll see exactly what needs to be bent or trimmed in order for the controls to move freely.
thanks again for all your work on this front - don't think we would have gotten to where we are now without you!
The following users liked this post:
evo.matt (Aug 29, 2016)
Old Aug 29, 2016, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on doing a setup similar to this. Have an Orbital kit on the way, and plan on relocating my gauges to the top of my dash with a Rexpeed piece.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks for the clarification! I finally sourced all or most of the parts, now I'm just doing some research before I attempt the actual installation so I don't get any surprises and waste any time
Old Nov 29, 2016, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

just wanted to bump this thread with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AA5DG9OALOPXX

gone are the days of crappy, slow, windows 95-looking OS's that cost $700-$1,000. I have the predecessor to this unit, which addresses many of things I was looking for - mainly more on-board memory & a little quicker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AA5DG9OALOPXX

Will replace my headunit with this one soon.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
So the head unit says "supports google play store"; does that mean i could tether to my phone and run Waze on the head unit for my nav if I wanted to?

that's pretty *****in.

semms it doesn't support ios10 sadly so i can't mirror the phone to the screen, but retain the other functionality that bluetooth streaming would bring? as long as i can stream bluetooth and control skipping to next song and pausing and browsing music library on the head unit i'll be happy
Old Nov 30, 2016, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

I've never tried Bluetooth for streaming music but I've used it for calls - unfortunately the evo is too loud and I didn't set up a mic attachment.

I used google maps. keep in mind it needs data though, so usually I'm setting up a hotspot with my phone.

^ this guy recently installed what i'll be installing shortly. mine is 1gig ram and 16gig flash, which is crippling. the new version is 2gig ram, 32gig flash.

FYI, if you buy it from the website, you will get free shipping as well, and with "carjoying" code, 15% off for cyber Monday* sales right now.

https://www.carjoying.com/

*I THINK, it worked last night, don't know what time it is in China right now.

https://www.carjoying.com/new-androi...r-gps-rad.html

**Confirmed that code is still working at the moment, not sure how long it will go for.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I actually REALLY looked into getting those radios, particularly the "JOYING" brand. But from everything I read, these "double din" radios would not fit into our US-Spec Double Din slots.

A couple friends of mine in different cars had to hack away at certain things to make them fit.

As of right now, I'm using App Radio 4, with ARUnchained, but would much prefer a stand alone Android head unit. However, can't find one that would fit. =/

Originally Posted by Kyoo
I've never tried Bluetooth for streaming music but I've used it for calls - unfortunately the evo is too loud and I didn't set up a mic attachment.

I used google maps. keep in mind it needs data though, so usually I'm setting up a hotspot with my phone.

You Tube

^ this guy recently installed what i'll be installing shortly. mine is 1gig ram and 16gig flash, which is crippling. the new version is 2gig ram, 32gig flash.

FYI, if you buy it from the website, you will get free shipping as well, and with "carjoying" code, 15% off for cyber Monday* sales right now.
If you end up installing this, could you document the installation? Would love to find one that fits, or what needs to be done to make it fit.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

look at the pics in the OP - I should have updated with the joying headunit. I have the 4.4.4 one, upgrading to the 5.0 version. it fits fine, you can adjust/modify your oem stero mounting tabs if you need to to adjust fitment, which I believe I did.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
That looks perfect! Looks very OEM/Flush! Did you have to modify anything at all to make it fit?? I'll be watching this closely as I really want to upgrade to this.

Got a link to the 5.0 version you are upgrading to?

Quick Reply: New headunit/hvac set up!