Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

New headunit/hvac set up!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
https://www.carjoying.com/joying-new...-multimed.html

I think I did modify the OEM stereo mounting tabs to get the angle right, and then the standard modifications you must make to get the 2din to the bottom.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone looking into Android Auto or Apple CarPlay headunits?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

unless you're referring to oem manufacturers that have it built in, android auto is just an app that can be run on 5.0 and up devices - which includes the new joying headunti
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonVIII
Anyone looking into Android Auto or Apple CarPlay headunits?

I was, but they are either over $1000, AND/OR the pioneer models I want have a protruding bar on the bottom that I wouldn't find stock looking.

Example:
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

ohh I see - smh forget that
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
CarPlay isn't worth getting at this point. I'm an Apple guy and I will likely be getting one of the Joying units and just tethering to my phone. I want Waze and whatever other apps I would normally use, just formatted for car/tablet. CarPlay tries to put their own interface spin on it and they support very few apps (no google maps, no waze, etc)

Android is the way to go for car stuff I think

I HATE how Joying navigates though. How do I know I'm looking at the latest and greatest head unit except by trying to find the most expensive one. It's so damn frustrating trying to navigate their website
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

yeah I feel you. it's a mess, their item descriptions are terrible, etc. you just gotta know that the specs are right (intel, 2g ram, 32g flash) and that will be the right one.

for what it's worth, this is the one I bought to replace my old one - amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M670UWI/

the part # is JY-UL135N2

unfortunately the sale they had ended, though I would at least give e-mailing them a try to see if they could extend it
Old Dec 1, 2016, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Another frustrating thing is that I am unable to find the ??W peak power x (?) channels info. From what they see, they only display the OS, specs, and screen resolution but nothing in terms of sound power they can support.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

trust me this is not the head unit for amazing sound, bass, anything like that. this is more or less purely to be able to run android in your head unit
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Why can't I have my cake and eat it as well lol
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
Why can't I have my cake and eat it as well lol
haha. in that sense one of those pioneer units with android auto may be better?

If the sound quality changes on this new version of the headunit I'll let you know but I doubt it, not really what they care about.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
haha. in that sense one of those pioneer units with android auto may be better?

If the sound quality changes on this new version of the headunit I'll let you know but I doubt it, not really what they care about.
Indeed, but the only real problem is I am unable to find a pioneer with android auto that would look decent in my double din slot. I currently have Pioneer App Radio 4, and while it somewhat works with ARunchained, the sound quality is under-powered compared to some of my single-din radios found on my GSX.

Keep us updated on the new head unit as that will be the factor on me purchasing it!
'
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

kyoo, do you have an android phone or apple? i'd be curious on some every-day things on the head unit like the music interface for when you're streaming bluetooth and controlling it from the head unit. none of the basic every-day operations seem to be covered by the reviews (edit: when you get it and can actually use it)
Old Dec 5, 2016, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

I've got an android phone. good question, i'll be sure to test all that stuff out. I actually just throw an SD card/USB on the headunit and let it play music that way or listen to the radio.

For Bluetooth calling, it will work, but I've never tested/routed the mic that comes with it. I tried to call just using the mic on the actual physical headunit and it picks up too much other noise. Not sure if an external routed mic (that it comes with) will be the same or not.

So I guess literally all I use this for is my own music, or google maps lol. or just to have something that looks better than factory. this guy's light too - I'd say about 5lbs or so, maybe a bit more with the extra wiring. not a bad penalty in relation to the stock radio.

::

also, android for life! I started with that Droid 2, the one that snapped out a physical keyboard. Then I got the Droid Pro (blackberry-esque with Android - loved that phone. was very into physical keyboards) before switching the Galaxy S4 Google Play edition. From then it's been Nexus5, OnePlus One, Nexus 6P, and just ordered a Oneplus 3T. I love android!

Last edited by kyoo; Dec 5, 2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, the main thing I'd use it for is music and radio and maps. Longer drives the lady might want to watch a movie or something off an SD card but we will see...

I'd want a headunit that I can either tether to my phone (iPhone) and use Pandora or Spotify or whatever right off the head unit, or stream bluetooth from my phone to the head unit and have basic controls at the very least (play/pause, skip). Ideally I'd love to be able to browse the music library from just the head unit but that's not a requirement, just a really nice feature.

When you get this, please let me know how fitment is I may be ordering one shortly there-after if it installs well

Quick Reply: New headunit/hvac set up!