Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Wheel Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2003, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Cleaning

Not sure whether this should go here (Tires & Wheels) or under Show & Shine, but just thought I'd pass this along for what it's worth. I hit 10K miles last week, the interval for an oil change and tire rotation. I like to rotate my own tires to insure: 1) Proper lug nut torque; 2) Proper tightening pattern; 3) Proper COLD inflation pressure. Since I have the tire/wheel assembly off the car, I like to take this opportunity to clean the wheels inside and out.

Since it's relatively cold, here in the NE, and I'm doing this in my garage, the spray-on, hose-off products are out of the question. Don't really like them anyway, since they all seem to be caustic to some degree. I needed a simple spray-on, wipe-off product that would remove the brake dust and other road safarkus, without leaving a residue. I have found that Maguires Quick Detailer really does a great job. Figure on using several terry cloth towels (small ones - dishtowel size) per wheel, in varying degrees of filth. Initial spray and wipe-down can be done with a really dirty cloth to get the bulk of the dirt off. Then a cleaner rag and a final wipe-down with a clean one. The Detailer stays moist so this can all be accomplished with one or two spray coatings. Also leaves some protection behind. Found this even loosened the brake dust build-up in the innermost groove of the wheel. This is the second time I've used this and I'm really pleased with the results. Took me about an hour per side (two hours total) to clean, rotate and adjust pressure. The rest of the car may be dirty, but the wheels are clean as a whistle.

Adios,

Fusoguy
Old Dec 15, 2003, 08:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Show and shine. ...and probably for the Evo too for that matter.

Absolutely correct about the vast majority of wheel cleaners. They tend to be damaging to painted, coated and clearcoated wheels.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Here's what I do, and I've done this for years on clearcoated wheels with zero ill effects. Note that my previous car, a 330i, dusted worse than the evo! I had to do this once a week minimum, that's a lot of wheel cleanings.

Get yourself the Oxo wheel brush (it's soft and lathers up really well) and a bottle of Eagle One A2Z all-wheel cleaner. It's safe for clearcoats and won't discolor plastic/chrome/etc. I like it because you can spray it on your tires and it will clean off the brake dust as well, without rotting the crap out of the rubber like some of the more harsh chemicals will in other wheel cleaners.

Expect the wheel brush to last a year or two, depending on how often you use it. They can be had for cheap at Bed Bath & Beyond and other stores, no need to pay $20 for it.

Go to a DIY car wash place. It's like $2 to start the machine up. Make sure your wheels are at least slightly cool to the touch. Spray the fronts down with the cleaner, then start the machine on high-pressure rinse. Wet the brush (or dip it in the DIY place's brush water holder if there's one available; it's got soap in it) and scrub away. Rinse each wheel as you clean it. Then apply the cleaner to the two rear wheels and repeat.

Total process takes about 5-7 minutes depending on your efficiency, so plan on dropping a whole $3-$4 per wash incident.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

we have a " do-it-yourself " car wash near us , for a dollar i get one of those power sprayer things and spray down my wheels and there you go .