Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Gilbert's 612 WHP, E-85 FP Black, Rush Group Detailing photoshoot/First Pull Video

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evokid03
Gill you need a Exhaust Manifold, Hit up Collin @Toxicfab and tell him i sent you.. He will get you a Very nice manifold made, ill be using a custom FF Manifold from him on my new build
^^^what he said...Toxicfab ftw!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem bud!

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
Thanks Cisco for the compliment, I have to give much respect to Justin at Rush Group Detailing for his handy modification skills. I've you've ever seen his own car you'll immediately recognized he loves working on one of a kind customized mods.

I also appreciate your help in putting this car together in the beginning stages of my re-construction. Thanks again.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice! Congrats on the power and look of your evo =)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tim85851
p.s. you need to bring back the: i smoke sti's tshirt!
Funny you should say this.. wink wink.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
^ Awesome Job man, car is clean as hell and is a well put together setup! I think on the stock appearing class, you can have a aftermarket exhaust manifold but need to retain a stock appearing intake manifold. That what i remember from last year but i could be wrong. I would check it out.
Thank you for the compliments, after seeing your Stock appearing run, Holy cow.. I'm kind of glad you moved on to 8's to give us little guys a shot of winning that class.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the compliments, after seeing your Stock appearing run, Holy cow.. I'm kind of glad you moved on to 8's to give us little guys a shot of winning that class.
Np Bud, but now since you said that, I might have to go throw another black on the car this year Jk man, I had a fun season last with the Fp Black. That turbo is so impressive and is a ton of fun to drive on the street. You are going to love it. G/L with the car this season and hope to see you at meets and the track this year.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

solid car my friend.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:50 PM

It looks sick man. Don't suppose you have a thread laying around for that in-dash pc mod do you?

-Adam
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats Gil!! Im so happy for you. Thats impressive!!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sk82712
It looks sick man. Don't suppose you have a thread laying around for that in-dash pc mod do you?

-Adam
Well, What exactly did you want to know.. How to build a PC, or how to mod the center HVAC Controls.. It's basically the original parts just a HVAC Control cleanly cut and molded into the original Cubby Hole.

The double din is the original JDM double din, I simply molded it and made a custom frame for my screen to fit into. That's about it.

The PC build.. well that's something I couldn't just explain.. I'm a computer tech for a living and that's a very long conversation. If there is anything else you'd like to know send me a pm.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, What exactly did you want to know.. How to build a PC, or how to mod the center HVAC Controls.. It's basically the original parts just a HVAC Control cleanly cut and molded into the original Cubby Hole.

The double din is the original JDM double din, I simply molded it and made a custom frame for my screen to fit into. That's about it.

The PC build.. well that's something I couldn't just explain.. I'm a computer tech for a living and that's a very long conversation. If there is anything else you'd like to know send me a pm.
i didnt even realize that was a computer.. what processor did you use? memory? mobo etc?

the only thing i see that i feel should be mandatory is a mold for a usb stick to go in there.. could of been easily ran .. then again you dont tune your own car tho.. and most likely have all music on the hd etc.. id def do it if i made one for my car so i could copy the logs over then transport them from stick to pc in house etc..

im a pc person myself.. my personal computer has 8gb mem, q9550 12mb cache, x48-ds5 mobo etc..

i dont even bother keeping up with the technology.. what i got now is plenty fast enough so im just sticking with it.. video card is bios flashed to unlock more pixel pipelines etc.. i dont even game tho anymore.

did you measure how much load the computer put on the battery when you turned it off and on? if i get bored thats something i might do.. id love to do that to my car.. ill def go to you for the mold .. your mold looks very professional.

i imagine you have it setup for wireless internet in car also? so you can browse internet via car etc when hit hotspots? since i know they make pci/usb wireless nic's.

is it using win7? also.. i never tried it so im gonna ask.. when its a touch screen can you drag your finger across the screen to move the mouse cursor etc?

and no overheating issues with the processor or mobo etc? i imagine in summer the computer would get hot as **** just sitting in the car.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Gill,

You've been such a patient guy in the last huge swing of downtime during your monster rebuild. You deserve to enjoy this for a long time. Now lets dial this thing in and get you ready for shootout!

Thanks for the acknowledgment, we love the details.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet stuff!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
i didnt even realize that was a computer.. what processor did you use? memory? mobo etc?

the only thing i see that i feel should be mandatory is a mold for a usb stick to go in there.. could of been easily ran .. then again you dont tune your own car tho.. and most likely have all music on the hd etc.. id def do it if i made one for my car so i could copy the logs over then transport them from stick to pc in house etc..

im a pc person myself.. my personal computer has 8gb mem, q9550 12mb cache, x48-ds5 mobo etc..

i dont even bother keeping up with the technology.. what i got now is plenty fast enough so im just sticking with it.. video card is bios flashed to unlock more pixel pipelines etc.. i dont even game tho anymore.

did you measure how much load the computer put on the battery when you turned it off and on? if i get bored thats something i might do.. id love to do that to my car.. ill def go to you for the mold .. your mold looks very professional.

i imagine you have it setup for wireless internet in car also? so you can browse internet via car etc when hit hotspots? since i know they make pci/usb wireless nic's.

is it using win7? also.. i never tried it so im gonna ask.. when its a touch screen can you drag your finger across the screen to move the mouse cursor etc?

and no overheating issues with the processor or mobo etc? i imagine in summer the computer would get hot as **** just sitting in the car.
I actually posted specs in my interior mods section, in case you missed it here it is.

Car Computer Installed (2Ghz, 1GB Ram, 30GB SSD Drive) integrated under my car seat.

I'm using a Intel Atom motherboard, It's taken a bit of trial an error to finally get the car computer where it is today.

Initially I had the car pc nicely tucked in my glove box, It looked clean and cool, but it was a pain in the *** trying to pull it out everytime my hard drive failed or a connector came loose. (because of the vibrations in the car, it was mostly hard drive failures). Not to mention it was overheating and even worse causing condensation on the unit when I ran my Air Conditioning to the vents.

Of course this wasn't going to fly so I made a few changes. 1. Installed a SSD Drive to prevent any future hard drive failures, 2. Moved the Car pc under the driver seat.. This gave it far better cooling and also made it easier to work on. I simply attached Velcro all along the bottom of the mini Case to let it stick to the carpet. This works a bit too good.. I need a spatula just to pull the thing off .

In response to the power supply. It's all integrated in my small pc case, (About the size of a Biology Book) the Car computer automatically turns on 5 seconds after ignition of the car, this will ensure that the crank voltage won't damage my computer. There is a relay built into this customized power supply to perform this action. The same process happens when I shut down the pc. When I turn the key off, the ignition wire sends a signal to the powersupply of my carpc to start the shutdown process. It's nothing fancy just using windows built in shutdown command when the powerbutton is pressed. The powersupply has a wire that connects directly into the power button of the motherboard to communicate the startup and shutdown process.

In reference to the Screen, it would be a pain in the *** to keep dragging your finger to move the mouse cursor.. Gladly this isn't the way the system works. You literally touch where you want it to be and the mouse cursor will disappear and re-appear wherever you touch. I even enabled single touch Icons so I don't have to double tap to open programs. Double Tapping is much harder than you think on a moving car. Try tapping in the exact same point with your computer mouse while someone is moving your wrist. It's the same effect, gladly single tap solves this.

I'm running Windows XP to maximize performance, Windows 7 would have just dragged down the speed of the unit. And I actually use a different interface program called Centrafuse. It's literally an overlay-ed application that does everything you need on a car computer as it was specifically built for this purpose.
Windows XP/7 are not built for car environments. You need big buttons and easier navigation menus. Centrafuse is perfect, I even configured to automatically launch when the computer starts.

In terms of wireless, I simply connect to my Evo 4G via Bluetooth or usb connection and I used it's Wimax 4G tethered connection. I always have a life connection the moment I get into the car. I've also used this connection to make phone calls while in my car through the Bluetooth adapter. Same as most luxury cars.. I just had to install a hidden microphone in the car to talk back to it. I hear people talking to me through the speakers.

The power drain to my Car PC is minimal, There is a little vampire drain but I've installed a master cutoff switch to resolve this issue if needed.

I could go on but I feel this post is long enough..

Last edited by Jedi_Gill; Mar 25, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Don't get my started on my Gaming Monster of a computer. I'll give you a quick summary Intel 980X Six Core Processor overclocked to 4.1Ghz, 12GB of Ram, Dual 240GB SSD Drives in Raid 0 for performance. 2TB Backup Drive. Crossfire 2X Radeon HD5970 4GB combined video memory. 1,200 Powersupply, Liquid Cooling. Creative XFI 5.1 Sound card. 27inch 3D monitor that runs at 120hz. Logitech G15 Keyboard and MX700 Gaming mouse. Oh and Logitech 5.1 Surround System. Yea I know. I have a technology Disease

Quick Reply: Gilbert's 612 WHP, E-85 FP Black, Rush Group Detailing photoshoot/First Pull Video