Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Gilbert's 612 WHP, E-85 FP Black, Rush Group Detailing photoshoot/First Pull Video

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like overkill to me, unless your gaming, editing video, and downloading movies at the same time.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Sounds like overkill to me, unless your gaming, editing video, and downloading movies at the same time.
You are correct, it is overkill.. But then again it's my business to sell monster gaming computers and my own personal computer is more of a working display model for my clients to see how far things can go.

But I must admit.. It is so flipping sweeet... for gaming. I won't need to update for a few years for sure.

Ok back on topic..

Thank you everyone for your support and appreciation of my car. I must admit if it wasn't for the EvoM community I wouldn't have met nor be where my car is today. Thanks again everyone.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
Don't get my started on my Gaming Monster of a computer. I'll give you a quick summary Intel 980X Six Core Processor overclocked to 4.1Ghz, 12GB of Ram, Dual 240GB SSD Drives in Raid 0 for performance. 2TB Backup Drive. Crossfire 2X Radeon HD5970 4GB combined video memory. 1,200 Powersupply, Liquid Cooling. Creative XFI 5.1 Sound card. 27inch 3D monitor that runs at 120hz. Logitech G15 Keyboard and MX700 Gaming mouse. Oh and Logitech 5.1 Surround System. Yea I know. I have a technology Disease
very nice.. i just use my 360 for gaming.. but haven't really used it for quite some time now. and ps3 just collects dust as well.. i used to game on computer but i like consoles better.

I didn't even know they had 3d pc monitors. i used to do the overclocking thing.. i got heavily into it with vapor phase change units etc.. i had a VAPOLI V2000 custom made for me.. used to idle processor in the negative c's and overclock them insanely.

do you try to stay up to date with technology? that cost almost as much as a car to do if you try to follow the new releases every month.

my setup is mega outdated..

Q9550 45nm, 8gb g.skill pc2-6400, x48 chipset etc

i did have this thing at 4ghz almost with a custom ultra 120 extreme with upgraded fans.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
car is nasty and pulls hard
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

I actually posted specs in my interior mods section, in case you missed it here it is.

Car Computer Installed (2Ghz, 1GB Ram, 30GB SSD Drive) integrated under my car seat.

I'm using a Intel Atom motherboard, It's taken a bit of trial an error to finally get the car computer where it is today.

Initially I had the car pc nicely tucked in my glove box, It looked clean and cool, but it was a pain in the *** trying to pull it out everytime my hard drive failed or a connector came loose. (because of the vibrations in the car, it was mostly hard drive failures). Not to mention it was overheating and even worse causing condensation on the unit when I ran my Air Conditioning to the vents.

Of course this wasn't going to fly so I made a few changes. 1. Installed a SSD Drive to prevent any future hard drive failures, 2. Moved the Car pc under the driver seat.. This gave it far better cooling and also made it easier to work on. I simply attached Velcro all along the bottom of the mini Case to let it stick to the carpet. This works a bit too good.. I need a spatula just to pull the thing off .

In response to the power supply. It's all integrated in my small pc case, (About the size of a Biology Book) the Car computer automatically turns on 5 seconds after ignition of the car, this will ensure that the crank voltage won't damage my computer. There is a relay built into this customized power supply to perform this action. The same process happens when I shut down the pc. When I turn the key off, the ignition wire sends a signal to the powersupply of my carpc to start the shutdown process. It's nothing fancy just using windows built in shutdown command when the powerbutton is pressed. The powersupply has a wire that connects directly into the power button of the motherboard to communicate the startup and shutdown process.

In reference to the Screen, it would be a pain in the *** to keep dragging your finger to move the mouse cursor.. Gladly this isn't the way the system works. You literally touch where you want it to be and the mouse cursor will disappear and re-appear wherever you touch. I even enabled single touch Icons so I don't have to double tap to open programs. Double Tapping is much harder than you think on a moving car. Try tapping in the exact same point with your computer mouse while someone is moving your wrist. It's the same effect, gladly single tap solves this.

I'm running Windows XP to maximize performance, Windows 7 would have just dragged down the speed of the unit. And I actually use a different interface program called Centrafuse. It's literally an overlay-ed application that does everything you need on a car computer as it was specifically built for this purpose.
Windows XP/7 are not built for car environments. You need big buttons and easier navigation menus. Centrafuse is perfect, I even configured to automatically launch when the computer starts.

In terms of wireless, I simply connect to my Evo 4G via Bluetooth or usb connection and I used it's Wimax 4G tethered connection. I always have a life connection the moment I get into the car. I've also used this connection to make phone calls while in my car through the Bluetooth adapter. Same as most luxury cars.. I just had to install a hidden microphone in the car to talk back to it. I hear people talking to me through the speakers.

The power drain to my Car PC is minimal, There is a little vampire drain but I've installed a master cutoff switch to resolve this issue if needed.

I could go on but I feel this post is long enough..
so......... to kick on the power to the pc you have it setup via direct spliced into the jumper cables from the case to mobo? or you have it wired up so it completely bypasses the case? ive done something similar before.

i imagine a regular disc platter style hard drive would not last ya.. SSD ftw. Personally if i was building one id definitely run windows 7 on it, windows 7 runs faster then XP when its setup properly.. it has a more stable Kernel, and uses less resources when setup properly. remove as many services from it and startup registry entrys as possible. XP still does a good job though. any newer NT kernel is pretty stable. either that or unix based os and compile the kernel for minimum amount of processes to run and launch progs auto via crontab / startup script.

I want to try the car pc thing.. might have to give it a go when i get bored some time.. it would definitely be so much more convenient then hauling a laptop around all the time.. plus you can make it so the flasher cables are hooked into the pc 24/7 and evoscan is there ready to log etc..

I'll contact you when i need to get some things to get started. i was reading up on this stuff before earlier last year and theres quite a lot of information online about how to do it.. i really like your mold tho.. it looks very professional.

how do you right click? do you use one of those buttons you have on your display for that?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get my started on my Gaming Monster of a computer. I'll give you a quick summary Intel 980X Six Core Processor overclocked to 4.1Ghz, 12GB of Ram, Dual 240GB SSD Drives in Raid 0 for performance. 2TB Backup Drive. Crossfire 2X Radeon HD5970 4GB combined video memory. 1,200 Powersupply, Liquid Cooling. Creative XFI 5.1 Sound card. 27inch 3D monitor that runs at 120hz. Logitech G15 Keyboard and MX700 Gaming mouse. Oh and Logitech 5.1 Surround System. Yea I know. I have a technology Disease

My semi-oc'ed 3.52ghz i7 940 with a single 5970 black, raid 0 ssds and 12gb of ram is actually scared right now.

Only semi-oc'ed because i'm waaay too lazy to nail down my clocks and voltages. too much time on arma2 / fsx / dcs: a10 / homefront (WTF THEY BOTCHED THE RELEASE!!!) and now crysis 2.

Back OT: I'm going to have to get around to building a car-pc. You said you made the bezel? How hard was it to relocate AC/heat?

-Adam
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
so......... to kick on the power to the pc you have it setup via direct spliced into the jumper cables from the case to mobo? or you have it wired up so it completely bypasses the case? ive done something similar before.

i imagine a regular disc platter style hard drive would not last ya.. SSD ftw. Personally if i was building one id definitely run windows 7 on it, windows 7 runs faster then XP when its setup properly.. it has a more stable Kernel, and uses less resources when setup properly. remove as many services from it and startup registry entrys as possible. XP still does a good job though. any newer NT kernel is pretty stable. either that or unix based os and compile the kernel for minimum amount of processes to run and launch progs auto via crontab / startup script.

I want to try the car pc thing.. might have to give it a go when i get bored some time.. it would definitely be so much more convenient then hauling a laptop around all the time.. plus you can make it so the flasher cables are hooked into the pc 24/7 and evoscan is there ready to log etc..

I'll contact you when i need to get some things to get started. i was reading up on this stuff before earlier last year and theres quite a lot of information online about how to do it.. i really like your mold tho.. it looks very professional.

how do you right click? do you use one of those buttons you have on your display for that?
Windows 7 does definitely NOT use LESS resources than Windows XP SP3, no matter how you set it up. Might be more 'stable' but definitely uses more resources.

However, with that said, I do really like Windows 7, it's M$'s best OS yet.

-Bink
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by binky
Windows 7 does definitely NOT use LESS resources than Windows XP SP3, no matter how you set it up. Might be more 'stable' but definitely uses more resources.

-Bink
Ya i shouldn't of said it uses less resources because it doesn't.. it uses more memory and requires a bit of different hardware requirements to take advantage of its full features.

the huge difference from xp and 7 is 7 actually utilizes a lot of your hardware so its using more resources.. but to its advantage.. it will use a lot of memory etc so it can be more responsive and be quicker in general. its a overall smarter OS. it can use a good video cards resources so well that it will lower your cpu usage quite a bit. the new aero gui is very well made.

Ya its definitely more stable. I had it up for 7months and it didnt feel laggy or use excessive memory etc.

It uses more resources then XP but its not to far off.. you would be surprised.. coming from vista its a huge difference.. and the 7 kernel is built off vistas.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

congrats gill, shes definitely a sexy beast, im jealous!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Damn Gill that is some insane power! My goal after my build is what you are putting down but on a dynojet. Gives me more hope though. Btw whats up with those 4g63 engine image shirts we talked about at the Rush car show last year??
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

very nice.. i just use my 360 for gaming.. but haven't really used it for quite some time now. and ps3 just collects dust as well.. i used to game on computer but i like consoles better.

I didn't even know they had 3d pc monitors. i used to do the overclocking thing.. i got heavily into it with vapor phase change units etc.. i had a VAPOLI V2000 custom made for me.. used to idle processor in the negative c's and overclock them insanely.

do you try to stay up to date with technology? that cost almost as much as a car to do if you try to follow the new releases every month.

my setup is mega outdated..

Q9550 45nm, 8gb g.skill pc2-6400, x48 chipset etc

i did have this thing at 4ghz almost with a custom ultra 120 extreme with upgraded fans.
While I agree it is tough to keep up with it, my goal isn't always to stay up to day month after month.. That would be ridiculous. I would say I upgrade about once every year or 1 1/2 years. It was just that time and this past November I went bananas with it.

In terms of the reason.. well it's my business to keep up to date with technology.. as you already know it changes very quickly so forcing myself to upgrade is a good way to go with the times. My main motivation however is still just gaming.. I'm a heavy gamer.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

To answer your question about the powering the car pc.. it's all really simple.. The magic is all in the power supply. The rest is simply a mini-pc. There are 3 wires.. Ground, Power and Ignition. The power supply I bought was made specifically for this environment. I simply connect those 3 wires from Ground, Directly from the Battery for Power, and Ignition wire. That's it.. and I use a connector to make the power supply communicate with the on and off switch of the motherboard. The rest is left to the power supply.

And to right click it's easy.. simply hold down your finger and the right click option will open up. Just like on an android phone. For the keyboard.. I bought a Mini Dinovo

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/3848

It even has a built in mouse touch pad.. Very cool wireless device and tiny.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binky

-Bink
You are 100% Bink, Windows XP uses plenty of less resources especially in the memory department.

Ya i shouldn't of said it uses less resources because it doesn't.. it uses more memory and requires a bit of different hardware requirements to take advantage of its full features.

the huge difference from xp and 7 is 7 actually utilizes a lot of your hardware so its using more resources.. but to its advantage.. it will use a lot of memory etc so it can be more responsive and be quicker in general. its a overall smarter OS. it can use a good video cards resources so well that it will lower your cpu usage quite a bit. the new aero gui is very well made.

Ya its definitely more stable. I had it up for 7months and it didnt feel laggy or use excessive memory etc.

It uses more resources then XP but its not to far off.. you would be surprised.. coming from vista its a huge difference.. and the 7 kernel is built off vistas.
I think tscompusa you're missing the point however. XP is tweaked and cleaned up runs perfectly fine. My goal is not to find the prettiest and most feature filled operating system. My goal is to find a stable OS to run in the background and let Centrafuse my Front-end GUI work it's magic. When you have a car computer, you don't want to be messing with Windows Interface unless you're doing something specific. You also run into other issues when getting a more resource hungry O.S. Memory for example gets very hot if you use more than 2GB. It doesn't matter on a PC with proper cooling but in a car this is important. You also don't want to simply add fans as this draws more power and makes it nosier. You just want something cool and simple. Windows XP is perfect for this application or Linux as you mentioned. My problem with Linux is that it's not versatile enough and requires too much fiddling to get things to communicate and work with it. Get XP and Centrafuse and you're set.

Originally Posted by Jblade
congrats gill, shes definitely a sexy beast, im jealous!
Hey Jblade, it's taken me 7 years to get to this point.. It's only a matter of time before your hard work pays off too. Good luck on your own monster build in the future.

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Damn Gill that is some insane power! My goal after my build is what you are putting down but on a dynojet. Gives me more hope though. Btw whats up with those 4g63 engine image shirts we talked about at the Rush car show last year??
Yea, I would like to know what this makes on a dynojet.. i was told around 650-660whp. Which is plenty of power..

In reference to my motor shirts.. I am actually in the process of wrapping up a design for this.. You're going to love it. Stay tuned.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:25 AM

nicely done brotha
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wrecklezz1
nicely done brotha
Merci my brotha..

Quick Reply: Gilbert's 612 WHP, E-85 FP Black, Rush Group Detailing photoshoot/First Pull Video