Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Best Audio Brands?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MP5

Good system blonde! BTW the Morels with the Al Hex tweet is orgasmic! The reason I love them so much is the midrange warmth, But man those old hex sound like a rock concert! The new ones arent bad but the old ones are choice. Im still up in the air about a sub but If I really need it I think Im going to try a Lanzar Neo 10" under the passengers seat. Its only like 3" in depth and very light for a sub. Lanzar isnt the best but its solid and Ive listened to an Eric Holdaway comp car with 4 10" mounted under the dash and if he uses them then he liked more than just the ease of install
thanks bro. the morels are great speakers but they are expensive as hell. as far as sub goes, i am going to ditch my w6v2 and try to mount a 6.5 w0 in the rear deck. if that doesn't work, i am going subless. i listen to punk most of the time so sub is really not a big deal. also, for cheap *** speakers, i was really suprized with the kicker resolution.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS BEST AUDIO BRANDS!

DO NOT GIVE HIM A LIST OF BEST BUY BRANDS THE MAN ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT.

I am very serious about sound and have a serious home stereo+ home theater compleate with 3 subs, guitar tube amp, pre amp, 1080i HDTV widescreen, custom built towers.

Good audiophile brands are the following:

1. Mc Intosh, http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/
2. X-tant
3. NAD (home systems)
4. Speakercity.com
1. agree, amazing headunits although expensive as hell.
2. don't like the new stuff...
3. can't really fit in the doors of the evo
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by blonde

1. agree, amazing headunits although expensive as hell.
2. don't like the new stuff...
3. can't really fit in the doors of the evo
I see you are a reservoir dogs fan!
I like the movie even though theres a lot of black jokes..

Did you take a look at speaker city? If you are serious about sound like you are your car check it out. They have the same parts used in 20,000 $ speakers. Kevlar, and titanium cones and drivers. They have an awesome focal tower setup that cost about 1000$ that sounds as good as 3000+ speakers. http://www.speakercity.com/kits.shtml I have heard all of the equipment they have in there warehouse in Burbank CA.

I highly reccomend ALL of the parts they offer. Even the cheap stuff destroys what Best buy and al and eds has!!!!
Old Dec 20, 2003, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

yeah bro, i love that movie.

as for the speakercity thing, i will have to pass. i am still broke from buying that B&O system for my house.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by blonde
yeah bro, i love that movie.

as for the speakercity thing, i will have to pass. i am still broke from buying that B&O system for my house.
B&O is good stuff. The only difference is you can get something at speaker city as good for cheaper. If you break a driver make sure you at least check the prices of speaker city. They have cost 10-900$ a tweeter!
Old Dec 20, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

i will check it out. thanks bro
Old Dec 20, 2003, 09:31 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS BEST AUDIO BRANDS!

DO NOT GIVE HIM A LIST OF BEST BUY BRANDS THE MAN ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT.

I am very serious about sound and have a serious home stereo+ home theater compleate with 3 subs, guitar tube amp, pre amp, 1080i HDTV widescreen, custom built towers.

Good audiophile brands are the following:

1. Mc Intosh, http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/
2. X-tant
3. NAD (home systems)
4. Speakercity.com I get my parts here for my custom work. You gotta love a store that makes there own 24 inch electromagnetic Sub!!!!
Mc car audio(save amps little flexability though) is overrated the burr brown clarion sound better, the 300 Nak is on par
2. Crap old stuff 5X better
3. Entry level OK stuff
4. HT is fine for HT for music a 2 channel setup is King

Believe me I know my audio
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MP5

Believe me I know my audio
What do you think of Seigfried Linkwitz' home speakers?
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Alpine/pioneer/Eclipse headunits are great.
JL/Kicker are great subs
Infinity/kicker/alpine type r/JL are great interiors
Had great experiances with Rockford amps and JL amps and of course the V12 by Alpine
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:10 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by mikec

What do you think of Seigfried Linkwitz' home speakers?
He is a legendary crossover wizard and his speakers just the same I havent got any seat time with his new dipoles but I have heard his setups at length in the past. The only complaints are 1Price(I always say that in the land of 2K hose ) and the critical matching of the rest of the electronics and hose and room placement as to not interfere (In home audio there is super rarely a positive interference event)

But his stuff is wonderful what are you going to use them with?? Solid state? Its so tough to beat a pair of Maggies and a couple brystons to glue you to a chair!!

The system Im really digging are the Ruark (the whole line is voiced matched scanspeak/morel. I prefer the MTM with the 6.5s and the over achieving ah toeb CD with a pair of VTL tubes
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

nak is out of biz there site is still up and you can still get parts to repair but i havnt seen anyone auctually have new stuff. diamond and focal are my fav for subs + speakers eclipse and kenwood are my fav decks (excelon for kw) btw im a lil bit fav those brainds mainly cuse we sell em www.magnoliaav.com
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Linkwitz is certainly one of audio's true living legends. I personally think his speaker designs represent SOTA and will outperform most other commercial designs that cost several times their price. (They crush the insanely expensive Wisdoms IMO). I recently finished building a set of his Orions. They are amazing speakers. They're setup in my dedicated listening room which is acoustically treated. The speakers are triamplified by design and I'm using AudioRefinement amps to power them. At times I miss my old Magneplanar 1.6QR's which were powered by a MusicRef RM200 tube amp, but not too often. The Orions put them to shame in most respects.

The Ah Toeb is a nice unit, especially the new one. If you want similar or better sound on the cheap you might pickup a NEC 6x computer drive off ebay for $9 and mate it with an Art DI/O. Killer sound that will definitely surprise you.

Originally posted by MP5

He is a legendary crossover wizard and his speakers just the same I havent got any seat time with his new dipoles but I have heard his setups at length in the past. The only complaints are 1Price(I always say that in the land of 2K hose ) and the critical matching of the rest of the electronics and hose and room placement as to not interfere (In home audio there is super rarely a positive interference event)

But his stuff is wonderful what are you going to use them with?? Solid state? Its so tough to beat a pair of Maggies and a couple brystons to glue you to a chair!!

The system Im really digging are the Ruark (the whole line is voiced matched scanspeak/morel. I prefer the MTM with the 6.5s and the over achieving ah toeb CD with a pair of VTL tubes
Old Dec 23, 2003, 07:02 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by mikec
Linkwitz is certainly one of audio's true living legends. I personally think his speaker designs represent SOTA and will outperform most other commercial designs that cost several times their price. (They crush the insanely expensive Wisdoms IMO). I recently finished building a set of his Orions. They are amazing speakers. They're setup in my dedicated listening room which is acoustically treated. The speakers are triamplified by design and I'm using AudioRefinement amps to power them. At times I miss my old Magneplanar 1.6QR's which were powered by a MusicRef RM200 tube amp, but not too often. The Orions put them to shame in most respects.

The Ah Toeb is a nice unit, especially the new one. If you want similar or better sound on the cheap you might pickup a NEC 6x computer drive off ebay for $9 and mate it with an Art DI/O. Killer sound that will definitely surprise you.

Lovely lovely setup! Those xovers belong in a museum! Thanks for the CD tip I am real dumb when it comes to computers Also why did you tube the Maggies? How complete was the link speakers? just plans or what
Old Dec 23, 2003, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MP5

Lovely lovely setup! Those xovers belong in a museum! Thanks for the CD tip I am real dumb when it comes to computers Also why did you tube the Maggies? How complete was the link speakers? just plans or what
RM200 was the best of five amps I used with them and was a perfect match. Stax DA-80 (highly modified) was excellent sounding but underpowered; Muse 160 was too dry and 2-dimensional sounding; PS Audio CX-200 was just wrong in so many ways; ARC D-60 was too strident; etc.

You can buy the Orions in various various degrees of completeness from just plans to circuit boards to fully built and ready to play. His construction plans are excellent and leave nothing to the imagination. Building the XO is the most difficult part but even that wasn't too bad. Check out his photo page.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

I have the MB Quart Q-series and those are the best component speakers you can get! they sound amaizing, as for head unit im using the Alpine CDA-7995 until christmas to get the Alpine DVA-I900 DVD player. As far as amps im using the Alpine MRV-F540 and the Alpine MRV-M500, the M500 is for my Kicker 12" L7 and the system sounds great

Quick Reply: Best Audio Brands?