Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Zaino vs Meguiars

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino vs Meguiars

Mother Nature decided to give us a 2 day break in winter and with temps in the 50's I decided to do a little Meguiars versus Zaino comparison. I received both (top of the line--full detail packages) for Xmas so the timing was perfect. I did both to each individual company's recommendations right down to the applicators.

Zaino is on the left (passenger side)
Meguiars is on the right (driver side)

Before you tell me how hard it is to see in the photos or how lame my camera is I'll settle it up front. You really can't tell. I can't see any difference and both look great in person in any light (I moved the car around from sun to shade.) With rain in the forecast I'll let you know how they survive in the long run but from a pure shine perspective there is no difference at all.

The Zaino was a little harder to apply and took longer to apply and is certainly more expensive.

While I was at it I thought you'd like a photo of how the wheels look after some Wheel Wax.

I'm not sure this settles anything for anyone and I'm sure the Zaino camp will stick to Zaino and the Meguires camp will stick to Meguiars. Personally I'll use both until I run out and unless there is some amazing longevity in one or the other I'll probably pick the easiest and most affordable.
Attached Thumbnails Zaino vs Meguiars-evodec2003a.jpg  
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

From the other side...
Attached Thumbnails Zaino vs Meguiars-evodec2003b.jpg  
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Up close...
Attached Thumbnails Zaino vs Meguiars-evodec2003c.jpg  
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Closer...
Attached Thumbnails Zaino vs Meguiars-evodec2003e.jpg  
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

At a distance...
Attached Thumbnails Zaino vs Meguiars-evodec2003f.jpg  
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

And the Wheel Wax (thanks Tire Rack)...
yes they are my winter tires...
Attached Thumbnails Zaino vs Meguiars-evodec2003d.jpg  
Old Dec 27, 2003, 02:28 PM
In Timeout

When I had my NSX the NSX club did about 20 different waxes and what they came up with is that Zaino is the best. And I used to use wax that was $300.00 and you put it on with your hands, Zaino lasted the longest and looked the best.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I guess only time will tell. Perhaps winter isn't the best time to test or maybe it is the best time to test. I'm sure in a few days it will be the salt-mobile again.

I'll follow up in a few weeks or after the weather trashes it a few times.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 04:27 PM

How many coats did you put on of each?
Old Dec 27, 2003, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't tried Zaino, but I've used Meguiars before and I dropped it for S100. S100 is by far the best wax I've ever used. It won't last as long as something like Zaino though.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

My family has always used Meguiars, seems to work well for us.

And umm...yeah, black cars definitely look the best when clean, however often that may or may not be.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

snarl...I followed the factory detail specs....with 2 coats fof each I figured that was fair from clay bar on up.

rebel...we'll see how each lasts...not that this was anything but Zaino v Meguiras

Been Waitin...So far if you include price and ignor longevity Meguiars wins. Black ALWAYS look better clean. You can debate that silver stays cleaner longer but nothing beats Black when it is clean. You do have to get used to washing or dusting your car every day...but nothing beats it wher it is clean.

Last edited by wmcorcor; Dec 27, 2003 at 08:02 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:52 PM

This is a test I have been waiting for. I have recently tried Zaino and have applied to date about 4 coats of the stuff Z2 and Z5. Yes the car looked great after the application, but I was always left wondering how much better it was than say Meguirs. Well, even after multiple coats of Zaino, the swirls still show up and can be seen at may angles. Now I am thinking there is nothing that can cure black paint woes, is there?
Old Dec 28, 2003, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

I switched to Zaino this summer. I've found that it lasts much better than anything else I've tried. And it's not more expensive than the regular stuff per application if you just buy Z-1 and Z-2, which is all you really need IMO for a car in good shape.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

kimeltrim...I've had 5 black cars in a row and I still think nothing looks better WHEN it is really clean. Yes I have to maintain it several times a week but in the end nothing looks better, especially with most accessories being black. As far as swirl there are certain lights that are impossible. For example in direct sun especially afternoon sun every swirl and imperfection shows up. I think other colors do the same in that light just not as bad as black. In shade black looks great. Just a fact of life with black I guess.

RichJ...time will tell. I will report back later after some rain, snow and salt get on there. Even at that level you can argue that Meguiars only needs polish and gold class which is even cheaper not to mention easier and quicker. I DO want longevity so monely and how quick it goes on are not the only criteria.

As an update I took it out last night in dusty conditions and both sides still seem equal. We have 50-degrees again today so I'll check it out closer.

Quick Reply: Zaino vs Meguiars