Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

iPod Hack for stock HU?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2003, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Hack for stock HU?

tried searching, but found NOTHING.

Has anyone found a way to hack a iPod connection into the 6 disk changer wiring? PLEASE! i want to get an iPod, but dont want to get one unless its going to work in my car WIRED!

I dont really want to get the iTrip, because it is not really a solution.

THANKS
Old Dec 29, 2003, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

The only thing I've seen so far has been people wiring up their iPods via an aux input. You could check on sourceforge.net and see if anyone has any projects for reverse engineering the iPods (besides the Linux on iPod project) and doing some kind of remote control.

Another place to look is ipodlounge.com since that seems to be the source for all info iPod.

My guess is that trying to reverse engineer the iPod might be seen as a DMCA violation, which Apple loves to exploit when it suits their purpose. Protecting the iPod would suit their purpose, since it is a cash cow for them.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jansolo
The only thing I've seen so far has been people wiring up their iPods via an aux input. You could check on sourceforge.net and see if anyone has any projects for reverse engineering the iPods (besides the Linux on iPod project) and doing some kind of remote control.

Another place to look is ipodlounge.com since that seems to be the source for all info iPod.

My guess is that trying to reverse engineer the iPod might be seen as a DMCA violation, which Apple loves to exploit when it suits their purpose. Protecting the iPod would suit their purpose, since it is a cash cow for them.
no no no,
im trying to get my iPod connected to my stock HU with the proper wiring. Just wondering if anyone has sucessfully done this.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 08:29 PM
i45
Evolving Member

Im not sure how to do it, though get a Dell Dj, Less Price For More Storage + More features!

I work @ A Best Buy In the Comp. Dpt and I always pass by the iPod, I kept sayin imma buy one of these, though then one of my friends got a Dell Dj 20gb and I was like damn thats some hype stff rite therrrrrr!!, he said he got it online, taxes/shipping etc. for only 390$ CDN!!!!!

Imma get one of those next week! U should do the same! (If you want to, that is )
Old Dec 29, 2003, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

ipods are 299
Old Dec 29, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

And if you're a student iPods are 269/369/469 for 10/20/40

Dell DJ is a rip. Not only do I use my iPod a ****load (_especially_ the dock which is tight if you have a stereo system you want to hook it up to (or your car)) iTunes music store is pretty cool (and off the record I never used to pay for stuff )
Old Dec 29, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and if someone digs up the electrical specifications (pinout + signal type) I'll tell you whether or not a iPod to changer hookup is doable.

-S ...
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jstockdale
Oh and if someone digs up the electrical specifications (pinout + signal type) I'll tell you whether or not a iPod to changer hookup is doable.

-S ...
Don't various head units have their own specific and proprietary bus protocol? I remember going to CES one year and talking to the Phatnoise guys who were telling me how they were having issues basically reverse engineering all the bus protocols from each of the different vendors decks, so they decided that vendor participation was obviously easier and more cost effective.

Last edited by jansolo; Dec 29, 2003 at 11:44 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by i45
Im not sure how to do it, though get a Dell Dj, Less Price For More Storage + More features!
Dell DJ = Creative Zen.

Creative Zen has it's own list of issues. If you plan on getting an alternative to the iPod (which I own and love), I would recommend the Rio Karma for a huge amount of reasons.

1. Acts as an smb share on a network so you can upload music over ethernet, rather than 1394 or usb 1.1/2.0.
2. Supports more codecs (flac and vorbis).
3. Nice and small!
4. You can play music from your PC through your Karma without having to actually have the music on the device itself.
5. OS indepenent, which is perfect for the small percentage of the world who don't happen to run Windows (I'm talking to you hippies running Macs and uber l33t h4xx0rs running Linux and BSD).

Did I mention it glows blue while it is in it's cradle? I like pretty lights..

Can you tell that I want a Rio Karma??
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:45 PM
Account Disabled

check out this thread

http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?showtopic=2256

Forget the PC weenie clone device.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

I use my iPod all the time and it is the best MP3 player that I have had. I hav ethe 40gb and with all the music I have it is still only 20% full. I also use iTrip and it sucks. In a large city, there is interference and the signal is staticy. I was planning on buying an aftermarket HU with AUX input and use an analog cable to connect the iPod to the HU, but I would love to be able to keep the stock HU instead. I would think that you could a female adapter from Radio Shack and wire in to the CD changer input. then you cold just plug the iPod in to that.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

is the iTrip the thing that lets ya broadcast from ipod thru a station via transmitter???? aka no wires.....?
Old Dec 30, 2003, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by twan
is the iTrip the thing that lets ya broadcast from ipod thru a station via transmitter???? aka no wires.....?
Yes.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

You will have a ***** of a time gettin the I-pod to work with the cd-changer inputs. Only thing i can think is pull out the stock HU, but leave it hooked up, then run a tone generator (used with an impedence meter to find wires, can be bought at radio shack) or any other low level audio signal to 2 leads, then touch all the pins with these 2 leads in diff combinations until you hear the sound coming from the car's speakers. note those 3 or 4 pins, those are the audio input pins. then just run the line out from the ipod headphone or line out jack (dont know what ipod has) and hook it up to these 3 or 4 pins. that will give you sound, but I doubt there will be a practical way to send commands such as play, pause, and stop via the HU buttons. You'll have to mount the ipod somewhere near the HU and push it's buttons separately. Now this may not even work b/c many factory radios need to sense the factory cd-changer through another pair of pins to even accept the audio signal coming in through the cd-changer pins. I doubt you will be able to reproduce this signal easily. To reproduce and translate the command and connected siglans, you'll probably have to program a microcontroller, and thta goes beyond what i am capable of explaining, and in the end, its not worth it.

a much easier method is to buy an FM modulator ($30-$70), run your ipod audio to it, and hook it up between the antenna and the radio. You just unplug the antenna wire, plug it inot the modulator, then plug the modulator into the radios antenna jack. this will broadcast the ipods signal onto a radio frequency that you can keep as a preset, but since it's hard wired in, theres no real signal loss or degradation.

...or you could just get a real and better head unit with aux inputs... the stock kinda sucks and is not worth spending any time or $$ on.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I don't mind using the iPod buttons. I didn't expect to use the HU to control the iPod. The mudulator is a decent option as long as there is no signal degredation. i will have to look in to those.

Thanks

Quick Reply: iPod Hack for stock HU?