Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent build thread! I just spent the last 15-20 minutes reading from start to almost finish. Cant wait to see the finished car!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The interior is probably about 95% done. Got the front seats bolted down, door panels on, and will put the shifter console and door switch assembly on soon. Also picked up a bunch of misc. parts I needed. Hopefully I can get around to making up the down pipe and exhaust in the next week. I have a couple bolts ordered at Mitsubishi that's keeping me from bolting the front suspension up so I should have that wrapped up by Monday as well.

Name:  8-16-12Evo.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  8-16-12Evo2.jpg
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  8-16-12Evo1.jpg
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  8-16-12Evo3.jpg
Size:  42.1 KB
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:22 PM

Parts have been slowly showing up. Got the oil feed/return line for the turbo installed. Installed the airbag, shifter console and center console. Got the ECU wired up in the factory location and the rest of the interior trim pieces put in. The all black interior is a huge improvement from the factory gray interior and dashboard.

Name:  8-28-12Evo.jpg
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  8-28-12Evo1.jpg
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  8-28-12Evo2.jpg
Size:  26.0 KB

Got my front suspension all put back together. I painted the front Brembos last week and picked up my caliper pins from Mitsubishi today so I was able to get my other caliper installed and both front wheels put on. I bought a Tial BOV today so the only parts I'm lacking are intercooler piping and a fuel pump.

Here's a couple pics of the front Brembos and Evo 8 MR BBS wheel fitment (a lot better than the stock 13" wheels with the wide Evo 5 fenders )

Name:  8-28-12Evo4.jpg
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  8-28-12Evo3.jpg
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  8-28-12Evo5.jpg
Size:  28.2 KB

And pretty much the way she'll sit until I make the exhaust and pull it out of the garage.

Name:  8-28-12Evo6.jpg
Size:  36.3 KB
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mornin' 3bar,
I have been reading yours and BC's threads because i may be moving to the states and want to keep my evo iv,
I'll cut my car up to ship it to America so i should have all the parts i need exept a lhd steering rack,do you think the rack and pinion(high ratio)from my rhd rack would fit into a lhd rack?
also,will my pedal box transfer to a lhd bulkhead?
I'm a commercial vehicle body builder by trade so i don't have any problems swapping/making brackets etc.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by mick9ornothing
Mornin' 3bar,
I have been reading yours and BC's threads because i may be moving to the states and want to keep my evo iv,
I'll cut my car up to ship it to America so i should have all the parts i need exept a lhd steering rack,do you think the rack and pinion(high ratio)from my rhd rack would fit into a lhd rack?
also,will my pedal box transfer to a lhd bulkhead?
I'm a commercial vehicle body builder by trade so i don't have any problems swapping/making brackets etc.
The steering rack may or may not work, I'm not too sure. I haven't attempted to see if the internals are interchangeable if they're flipped. You'll need a Mirage subframe and LHD mirage pedals. The bends on the pedals are different from RHD and LHD. I attempted to install RHD pedals and they won't work (steering linkage clearance for the brake pedal, kick panel clearance for the clutch pedal).
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheers 3bar,
i'm just trying to work out what to keep and what to scrap.
Car looks awesome by the way,i didn't realise you couldn't import an early evo until recently
have a look for a thread i wrote titled "7,8,9 parts on early evo's",some info in there about what parts from the late models will fit evo 4,5,6(or a mirage conversion)
keep up the good work mate,will it be the only v in your area?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

what did you have to do to get the brembos to fit?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by NorCal Lancer
what did you have to do to get the brembos to fit?
the whole front suspension (control arms, hubs, spindles, coilovers, etc) are all from an evo so the brembos were bolt on just like it would've been from the factory.

The only thing that's still a mirage on my car is the front subframe and the bare shell, minus the trunk pan.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Beautiful work, and done right!

The Evo V was the car that made me attracted to Evos when I was in Jamaica... I purchased my Evo IX when I realized it was the last chance to get a "real Evo"
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3bar_dc2
the whole front suspension (control arms, hubs, spindles, coilovers, etc) are all from an evo so the brembos were bolt on just like it would've been from the factory.

The only thing that's still a mirage on my car is the front subframe and the bare shell, minus the trunk pan.
dam, that's cool. Thanks for the info
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Fantastic build! You've done a great job so far and should be awesome by the time you're done!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 3bar_dc2
I haven't sourced a Evo LHD rack yet. From what I'm told, they're about $2k used and I'll have to buy one from one of the Rally teams or possibly Dave @ Ears. I'll probably keep the Mirage rack until I can come up with the cash for a rack. $2k is a little hard to stomach considering that the RHD racks can be had for $100-$150 all day long.

The second option is a steering quickener, but I've never used one and don't know if it's a decent option or not.
my evo 1 and evo 4 dont have the quick steer racks and I prefer them that way. I have driven plenty of evo 8 and 9s to know what I am talking about.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
^^ i have to disagree, and ive driven MANY different kinds of cars.. and the EVO's quick ratios have been far better then any other steering ive felt.. especially on the track, where i can make precise changes to the wheel, and have zero play or slop.. even now that i have an "STI"...the steering still isnt as great as the evos is.

slow ratio racks are plenty fine for normal driving and spirited driving, and there really isnt anything wrong with them, but the quick ratio rack is worlds above it for agressive driving and track racing. it all just depends on what your buying/building your car for i suppose

Last edited by vipers; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by vipers
^^ i have to disagree, and ive driven MANY different kinds of cars.. and the EVO's quick ratios have been far better then any other steering ive felt.. especially on the track, where i can make precise changes to the wheel, and have zero play or slop.. even now that i have an "STI"...the steering still isnt as great as the evos is.

slow ratio racks are plenty fine for normal driving and spirited driving, and there really isnt anything wrong with them, but the quick ratio rack is worlds above it for agressive driving and track racing. it all just depends on what your buying/building your car for i suppose

I'll have to agree with this. I haven't driven my car with the Mirage rack yet, but I liked the steering ratio on my Evo 8. I've owned and driven a bunch of cars and the Evo 8 was the most resonsive to steering input. Being that my car has a 6262, I probably won't be tracking my car so hopefully I can skate by with the Mirage rack for a little while.

Last edited by 3bar_dc2; Aug 31, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion