Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Long overdue update. About 2 weeks worth actually.

Ralliart shift knob arrived a couple weeks ago. Took 2 weeks to come in.

Name:  9-17-12Evo.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  9-17-12Evo1.jpg
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  9-17-12Evo2.jpg
Size:  40.2 KB

Custom AC line made by Peco using half of the Mirage AC line and half of an Evo 8 AC line. I've done without AC a few times but with a baby on the way, it was necessary.

Name:  9-17-12Evo3.jpg
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  9-17-12Evo4.jpg
Size:  35.2 KB

Rigged up a homemade clutch fork stop.

Name:  9-17-12Evo5.jpg
Size:  40.4 KB

Updates for the past few days. I installed the UICP and LICP and still need to install the Tial 50mm bov and GM IAT sensor to the intercooler piping. Got all the fluids in and the car running.

Had an issue getting it started. The fuel pump wasn't getting power. After checking both fuel pump relays and the body harness, they both had power. Apparently the fuel tank harness for the Evo5 shares the same connector as the Mirage body harness, but the fuel pump power wire is ran seperately and isn't pinned to the correct connector. Couple hours later and the car fired right up.

The exhaust rattles against the driveshaft bracket so I need to weld up another hanger. Only drove down the street since it was driving me crazy.

Name:  9-17-12Evo7.jpg
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  9-17-12Evo8.jpg
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  9-17-12Evo11.jpg
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  9-17-12Evo10.jpg
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  9-17-12Evo9.jpg
Size:  16.0 KB

While backing the car into the driveway, the endtank on the radiator exploded in spectacular fashion. The problem points to either a stuck t-stat, bad radiator cap, or clogged radiator. Head gasket shouldn't be an issue. I'll more than likely by a Civic half size dual-core radiator tomorrow to free up some room in the engine bay.

Soooo here she sits back in the garage. Still need to buy a catch can this week and do the rear arches. After that I'll start putting some miles on it.

Name:  9-17-12Evo12.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:  9-17-12Evo13.jpg
Size:  25.8 KB
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
wow....great update!!! sucks about the radiator.. i hate setbacks... awesome to hear the engine fired up with relatively minor issues.. she is looking fantastic!

oh, btw.... i sold the subie :/ i have a 98 Lexus GS400 now..lol... sssooooooooo nice as a daily driver (but ive modded her a bit already )
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome job....keep it up. Evo 5 having massive fenders whats the largest tire you can mount to those BBS?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! Watchin this one on mpf too. What kind of radiator are you using? As in brand?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by vipers
wow....great update!!! sucks about the radiator.. i hate setbacks... awesome to hear the engine fired up with relatively minor issues.. she is looking fantastic!

oh, btw.... i sold the subie :/ i have a 98 Lexus GS400 now..lol... sssooooooooo nice as a daily driver (but ive modded her a bit already )
Thanks man! It's been a long 11 months so I'm glad it fired up without many issues.

Sorry to hear about you selling the Subie. I saw it for sale a few weeks back and knew it would go quick. There was wayyy too much time and money in your car for it to not sell quickly at the price you were asking for it.

Toyota and Lexus makes the best daily drivers. My wife has had an IS300 and 2 4runners. I've owned a Lexus ES300 and my current daily is a 04 RX330 seen in the pics lol.

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
Awesome job....keep it up. Evo 5 having massive fenders whats the largest tire you can mount to those BBS?
I'm not too sure what size tire I can successfully run without rubbing. I might have to experiment with that when the time comes.

Originally Posted by armeddoc
Cool! Watchin this one on mpf too. What kind of radiator are you using? As in brand?
The radiator is a OEM Evo5 right now. The plastic upper endtank swelled up on the passenger side and seperated from the core. I want to get a metal (non aluminum) honda civic dual core radiator. The 6262 is pretty big and I don't think there's enough room if I get a thicker core.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Niiiicee build! I always wanted to build myself a evo 6.

but about tire size i think with right suspension you should be able to fit 18x9.5 and 255 tires easy!

jun evo 5 track car here
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange, I never had a problem with the fuel pump getting power. Maybe the 97/98 and 99-01 had different interior harnesses.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by BCspeed34
Strange, I never had a problem with the fuel pump getting power. Maybe the 97/98 and 99-01 had different interior harnesses.
Really? That's weird! My interior harness is from a 2000 Mirage. The connector from the Evo fuel tank harness plugged into the Mirage harness but the Black/blue wire from the fuel pump wasn't connected to anything. The Black/orange wire from the Mirage harness was the fuel pump power so I spliced them together.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BCspeed34
Welp... figured out what the problem was. It's an Evo6 fuel tank.

From Lancerregister.

"It turns out that the wiring for the Evo 5 is slightly different for the Evo 6 :

on the Evo 6 under the carpet behind the drivers seat ( closer to the rear bench ) there are 2 white plugs, one with many wires to it and one with 1 wire to it.
The one with 1 wire to it (thick blue/black wire) is the feed to the fuel pump (12v).

On the Evo 5 there is only one plug with many wires, in this plug is the thick blue/black wire to feed the fuel pump (12v)."
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:38 PM

This is one bad *** build. I've been thinking about starting something like this. Think there would be too many complications in converting a mirage to RHD by drilling out the spotwelds and replacing the firewall?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SE#202
This is one bad *** build. I've been thinking about starting something like this. Think there would be too many complications in converting a mirage to RHD by drilling out the spotwelds and replacing the firewall?

Not at all. It's been done a couple times that I know of. I considered doing it on my build, but I wasn't sure if I'd like driving on the right side every time. I thought it might lose its novelty after a while.

It actually would've been cheaper for me to do the RHD conversion. By staying LHD, I had to buy a black dash, a new dash harness for power windows/locks, LHD door/window switches, LHD pedal set, clutch hard line, custom AC lines, new carpet, etc. I had all the parts to do the RHD conversion with digital climate control plus I would've had a Evo quick ratio rack.

Here's a couple of RHD builds using the firewall swap method that may inspire you.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...6-project.html

http://www.mirageforums.net/viewtopi...438&start=1080
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evening 3bar,
if you want a quick ratio steering rack in lhd it may be relatively easy to make one,when i was a young lad(quite a while ago)i used to do a bit of club rallying in England,we had a company called quikrack that sold high ratio steering racks for motorsport use.
they also sold just the rack and pinion for you to convert your own rack,i wonder if you could strip it and take the rack and pinion to an engineering shop to see if they can make a new one in a higher ratio?
might be worth asking the right person before you strip it though
how difficult is it to find a black lhd dash in the USA i will need one if i bring my evo iv over.
cheers,
Mick.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by mick9ornothing
Evening 3bar,
if you want a quick ratio steering rack in lhd it may be relatively easy to make one,when i was a young lad(quite a while ago)i used to do a bit of club rallying in England,we had a company called quikrack that sold high ratio steering racks for motorsport use.
they also sold just the rack and pinion for you to convert your own rack,i wonder if you could strip it and take the rack and pinion to an engineering shop to see if they can make a new one in a higher ratio?
might be worth asking the right person before you strip it though
how difficult is it to find a black lhd dash in the USA i will need one if i bring my evo iv over.
cheers,
Mick.

Thanks Mick! Ill have a look into the quick rack. Do you have a web link for the company?

As far as the black dash goes, they're easy to find. All of the mirage coupes came with them and the sedans that came with tan interior also had black dashes.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:53 PM

Sorry I'm a little behind on this thread, I literally just registered here. Where did you find your trunk pan? I"ve been doing some research and the EVO 8 pan will work (rumored) so I"m debating with that.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:11 PM

Trunk pan was purchased from japperformanceparts.co.uk

Quick Reply: 99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion