Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's an ETS FMIC for an Evo8. The bolt holes don't line up at all so you'll have to drill new holes through the radiator support or make brackets. I drilled holes and used riv-nuts to create threads in the support. I did this for the stock Evo 5 fmic as well. Took a few times of measuring, test fitting, and tweaking the FMIC brackets to get it to fit centered and flush. You also have to make sure the intercooler piping will clear the foglight brackets in the back.

Since you've checked the struts I'm not sure what the clunking on left turns could be. It never had that issue with me. Check over all of the suspension. Mainly where the struts bolt to the spindle, the control arm bolts, and swaybar endlinks. Is the correct Mitsu tcase fluid in there? Since it has the factory LSD the Diaqueen should work just fine.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETS intercooler for evo8 got it. Yeah i have no problem dealing with custom brackets to fit it. Just afraid it wont clear the foglight brackets in the back was my main concern. Are u using stock IC piping also? or its just the ETS FMIC?
I was looking up on an IC with the sz 600mmx300mmx76mm

Last edited by EvoHuy; Jul 19, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:51 PM

Met up and snapped some shots of the beast!

Last edited by GENEVO; Jul 19, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:30 AM

Haha nice little meet. That black one looks just like mines!
except i have brembos, jdm window visors, evo5 spoiler and my car is white.
But i'm totally jealous of the intercooler lol.
Oh hey do you think you can ask that evo4 what intercooler he using?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Weird, I posted from my phone but guess closed explorer before it posted.

Anyways, over the weekend, we put the car on stands and ran the car. Its definitely the driveshaft. Its the 2nd section, front knuckle. Either its a bad carrier bushing or the yolk itself, Today a friend of mine that deals a lot with DSMs says its definitely the carrier bushing and noticed also the mount bushings were not tight up against the floor. We tried to tighten it some more but it didnt budge any. Knowing Im going for high hp and as a result, high tq, I plan to just replace driveshaft with a carbon 2pc. Not that I cant just take apart the driveshaft and fix it, Id rather upgrade to stay ahead of probs down the road.

Oh in other news, the FP Black finally came in! Woot! But before it can even go in, I want to upgrade: oil cooler and lines (one now leaks), downpipe (freakin stocker on there), and ported/coated o2 housing. I may just hold off till the motor gets built. Im planning on dropping off the motor late Nov (maybe Dec) to Jacks. But if weather stays good through Aug, Ill def throw the turbo on and have some fun till then. Colorado weather is always a strange one, sometimes we'll get near 90 degree heat in late Dec.

Huy - GENEVO owns the black 4 lol. Im sure he'll chime in sometime.

Sean - At first I thought it was the susp too. I had a DA Teg with coilovers that banged also. Turns out on that case, it was misinstallation of the upper strut mount. I took apart the pass side one just to see, as at first, it seemed like the noise was coming from the pass side well. Once on jackstands and put into gear, you could hear a slight clunk. I was underneath the car while it was running, kinda scary. But at least know I know exactly what the problem is. Its weird it didnt do it when you had her. Dip**** told me there was no such noise lol riiiight

GEN - Didnt mean to run up on you at the gas station LOL my buddy was pumped seeing your 4 sitting right there! I was like, I know that guy! We were headed to the meat shop around the corner, but it was closed... Took me by surprise too lol.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:26 AM

Unless Kenny switched it out with the one from his clip, the oil cooler was an HKS upgraded cooler
with a sheet metal shroud that was on there when I sold it to him.

As seen here.

Name:  1-8-12Evo1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  27.1 KB
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3bar_dc2
Unless Kenny switched it out with the one from his clip, the oil cooler was an HKS upgraded cooler
with a sheet metal shroud that was on there when I sold it to him.

As seen here.

Ya I remember seeing yours. That POS took it off and put a dinky one on. And took the shroud....

So ya will need a upgraded one and build a new shroud. Been looking at a Setrab 25 row kit
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
that guy kenny sounds like a real mcas*hole
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a really interesting build. I love all the hard work and labor you did to the 3.

After the rebuild trans, what are you're plans after that?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kada__85
that guy kenny sounds like a real mcas*hole
A straight POS. Theres been tons of little things I discovered that he originally wouldnt tell me about. I will NEVER buy a car without touching it next time. My motivation is what really subsided that. Fortunately, all the little things, I was gonna replace anyways. Overall Im grateful I dont have to deal with him anymore, and the original heart and soul of this build was done by 3bar.

Originally Posted by FLOW1
Sounds like a really interesting build. I love all the hard work and labor you did to the 3.

After the rebuild trans, what are you're plans after that?
Im going full 2.3l or 2.4LR build. Including trans, transfer case, and rear end upgrades. The ultimate goal is 600-700hp race car with some streetable abilities. Ive done similar builds before, but always found, if you upgrade one thing, you gotta upgrade another. This time around, Im gonna do it all and not risk a thing. I want this beast to last forever!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Def my motto bud. Do everything first and right rather later on, rushing into certain situations and replacing the part you just purchased.

Good luck on you're build man.

Originally Posted by wang4u
A straight POS. Theres been tons of little things I discovered that he originally wouldnt tell me about. I will NEVER buy a car without touching it next time. My motivation is what really subsided that. Fortunately, all the little things, I was gonna replace anyways. Overall Im grateful I dont have to deal with him anymore, and the original heart and soul of this build was done by 3bar.

Im going full 2.3l or 2.4LR build. Including trans, transfer case, and rear end upgrades. The ultimate goal is 600-700hp race car with some streetable abilities. Ive done similar builds before, but always found, if you upgrade one thing, you gotta upgrade another. This time around, Im gonna do it all and not risk a thing. I want this beast to last forever!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome back..

So Ive been quite stumped why Im having odd boost fluctuations till I took it all apart. If I havent mentioned it before, Ive been dealing with a weird boost swing that happens at max boost. Once it hits 20psi, it drops 1-2psi and swings back in forth. Odd with the Grimmspeed ebcs controlling boost it was much worse, swinging as much as 5psi (from 20 to 15psi). The Hallman mbc swings about 1-2psi, so Im sticking with it for the time being.

Thinking it was possible ignition problem, I replaced the Iridium plugs with copper, and built a COP system.

Name:  20130927_122753.jpg
Size:  69.1 KB
Name:  20130927_195141.jpg
Size:  50.5 KB

After the COP install it did run better, but didnt fix the fluctuation problem. This past weekend, I was ready to tackle the turbo swap to the FP Black. Once I got his "so-called" Evo 9 turbo assembly off, there was tons of problems I seen. First off, the turbo itself is a E8 lol, the J pipe is E8, the coolant lines are E8. Geezus. Thats the beginning. The twin scroll gasket nonexistent, oil return has no gaskets, stock O2 housing to a stock downpipe, has no gasket lol. Manifold nuts loose, turbo bolts loose, O2 housing missing a bolt and nut. Now Im starting to see why I was having boost fluctuations. I swore I checked all the bolts but could have been the lack of gaskets working the bolts/nuts loose.

Before the Black was going on, I ordered a Grimmspeed twin scroll gasket, O2 gasket, and manifold gasket. Also picked up a MAP Rev 2 coated O2 housing. But since Im missing some hardware, and the bolts on the current assembly are frozen solid, Im waiting for bunch more parts before finishing the install. Hope to get it all back together this next week and get to tuning.

So very soon it all be installed correctly. Hopefully the lack of some parts will fix the boost issue. Would seem like the intercooler and the piping is working fine. Did find some minor boost leaks but fixed those with new couplers. After the Black install Ill need to relocate the battery to the back so next time I post Ill have pics of it all installed.

Hope all is well fellas, Rich
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:04 PM

How much did it cost you to make that COP setup? It looks really good.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Hands down one of my favorite builds. You make me sad :-(
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIV_97
How much did it cost you to make that COP setup? It looks really good.
$90 for ebay used coils. They are Denso 2240, so it does fit under the cover.
$60 for parts from Spoolinup. The aluminum plate is from them too.
$10 for the stainless screws and nuts.

Thats all. I have all the wire, shrink tube and step bit. Let me know if you need help on how to build one. Very easy to do and quite a savings over the kits out there.

Quick Reply: 99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion