Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wang4u
Welcome back..

So Ive been quite stumped why Im having odd boost fluctuations till I took it all apart. If I havent mentioned it before, Ive been dealing with a weird boost swing that happens at max boost. Once it hits 20psi, it drops 1-2psi and swings back in forth. Odd with the Grimmspeed ebcs controlling boost it was much worse, swinging as much as 5psi (from 20 to 15psi). The Hallman mbc swings about 1-2psi, so Im sticking with it for the time being.

Thinking it was possible ignition problem, I replaced the Iridium plugs with copper, and built a COP system.

After the COP install it did run better, but didnt fix the fluctuation problem. This past weekend, I was ready to tackle the turbo swap to the FP Black. Once I got his "so-called" Evo 9 turbo assembly off, there was tons of problems I seen. First off, the turbo itself is a E8 lol, the J pipe is E8, the coolant lines are E8. Geezus. Thats the beginning. The twin scroll gasket nonexistent, oil return has no gaskets, stock O2 housing to a stock downpipe, has no gasket lol. Manifold nuts loose, turbo bolts loose, O2 housing missing a bolt and nut. Now Im starting to see why I was having boost fluctuations. I swore I checked all the bolts but could have been the lack of gaskets working the bolts/nuts loose.

Before the Black was going on, I ordered a Grimmspeed twin scroll gasket, O2 gasket, and manifold gasket. Also picked up a MAP Rev 2 coated O2 housing. But since Im missing some hardware, and the bolts on the current assembly are frozen solid, Im waiting for bunch more parts before finishing the install. Hope to get it all back together this next week and get to tuning.

So very soon it all be installed correctly. Hopefully the lack of some parts will fix the boost issue. Would seem like the intercooler and the piping is working fine. Did find some minor boost leaks but fixed those with new couplers. After the Black install Ill need to relocate the battery to the back so next time I post Ill have pics of it all installed.

Hope all is well fellas, Rich
came out really nice compared to mine lmao. good shizz rich
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Johnny . You still need help fixin yours?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That COP setup came out great Rich! Can't wait to see the updates with the FP black. Can't say I'm surprised to learn that Kenny left out all gasket hahaha. Some people shouldn't touch cars, period.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Johnny . You still need help fixin yours?
Im going to buy the pigtails new this time around and rewire everything. What do you have your plugs gap'd at? And sure we can kick tires and drink beer while problem solving.

Last edited by johnnydemz4G63; Oct 17, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Sean! Ya that tool surely did this car no justice. Cant believe such morons. He needs to go back to Hondas or something lol

Johnny grab the connectors and pins from Spoolinup. $7 a piece. I have plenty of wire and shrink tube. Also have a foot and a half of their fireproof sheathing left. Might as well grab some more from them too. Plugs are gapped at 0.7mm (.0275") using BPR7ES plugs.

I bet its your male connector to car. The 2 wires that fit into the connector is super tight. I used a special ECU pin tool to insert them. Still took some muscle.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Hi there again..

Been busy as a ****, and waiting for parts came in before posting again. I wanted to post before Thanksgiving but went out of town for a week to see my family.

Anywho, heres where were at so far:

Name:  20131101_131004.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  54.8 KB
Only shot I got of where a major exhaust leak was coming from. I shoulda took a shot between the turbo and manifold, as it was missing the twin scroll gasket.. Polished her up before turbo install.

Name:  20131102_122217.jpg
Size:  101.6 KB
Name:  20131101_010557.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB
Front engine mount looked like poo, replaced it before installing the turbo. Blox roll stopper

Name:  20131123_120734.jpg
Size:  89.3 KB
The original fan was a joke. 10" POS (no offense Sean) that wasnt mounted (zip tied). Not that I had any cooling issues up till now, I wanted to replace it with a bigger, stronger fan and install it correctly. One can only assume the Black will generate tons more heat. Spal 12" 1200cfm.

Name:  20131028_204249.jpg
Size:  80.9 KB
Name:  20131029_142643.jpg
Size:  67.9 KB
Here we are, getting ready to assemble the turbo. Bought all new everything.. water lines, gaskets, bolts, nuts, everything. Friend of mine wanted the E8 turbo that came out so I pulled it off the manifold and sold everything. Besides, all the hardware was rusted as shiet. I also opted to have FP port the hotside, looks good inside. Nice and smooth

Name:  2013-10-31194624.png
Size:  760.4 KB
Turbo assembly ready to go back in.

Name:  20130918_105311.jpg
Size:  79.7 KB
This is how the UICP was before. The location of the Tial was starting to rub badly against the bov itself and the upper coolant neck. I just had to replace it.. (in Seans defense, the Tial had to go there as the factory bov hole was there already. Muse stock route UICP).

Name:  20131108_123503.jpg
Size:  74.7 KB
Name:  20131123_120817.jpg
Size:  49.5 KB
Name:  20131203_0905011-1.jpg
Size:  83.1 KB
So I contaced ETS to have them work their magic. I took measurements of where I wanted it exactly, as no manufacturer offers different BOV flanges on a stock route UICP (guess they fig you will go with a short route piping and ultimately why Sean had to mount the Tial the way he did). Quality and finish is excellent! When everything was re-assembled, also threw in Mishimoto radiator hoses.

Name:  20131203_090431.jpg
Size:  42.7 KB
Where Im at right now. So I bought a TSComp 4" SD intake but sadly, looks as if the lower coolant neck is at a different angle than the E8/9, therefore the hose is right in the way to connect up the intake. I ordered up a couple 45 degree couplers and will end up making my own intake. Also ordered the same filter in the TSC intake kit (K&N 4"x9"). Thall happen this week or next.

Ive put in new oil and coolant and primed the engine/turbo. It starts and runs just fine. Im awaiting the intake parts and TSComp Tom to tune the car here soon. I since removed the Hallman and went back to the Grimmspeed ebc after discovering the turbo leaks.

As for the motor build, its going on slight hold. Ive been looking at houses with big garages (I have been for awhile, nothing has caught my eye). So I hope in the next few months will have a garage to build the rest. Planning on installing a 2 post lift so I can tackle the engine and drivetrain correctly/safely. As of right now, Ive been doing everything under my mom's carport lol. My hopes of racing this next season might also be put on hold. Im taking a vacation in June, possibly for 2 months, and going back home to Vietnam. I may try and get a couple events in before and after the trip but the likeliness of being able to race competitively for season points might not happen.

Besides, its been over 10 years since I track/autox raced. I will suck a$$ and prob roast the brakes super fast . Till next time gang
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:07 PM

Absolutely love your build man. I did the exact thing earlier this year and maan did i enjoy it. I didn't read your thread all the way through, but the only thing I did differently was that I had the car seam welded and installed a roll cage (mine was a track car).

Old Dec 6, 2013, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhatracing
Absolutely love your build man. I did the exact thing earlier this year and maan did i enjoy it. I didn't read your thread all the way through, but the only thing I did differently was that I had the car seam welded and installed a roll cage (mine was a track car).

Ya you definitely didnt read through. Starts about page 19 when I picked her up. There is no difference here, this is my dedicated track car. A rear 6pt roll cage is next on the list. The floor was spot and stitch welded and sealed. After I secure a house with a big garage, the real magic will happen. I plan to spot weld most of the main joints around the engine bay and will extensively weld on the bottom including undercarriage sealing (on a rotisserie). The rear cage will be a start, as I will be driving to and from events, so a full cage is not wise. No towing here lol

So the next step is finding a house. Looking at 2 right now. Not most ideal but may have to work with what is available. Im hoping in the next month or so, others will pop up. Since real estate right now is slow, its possible to make a better deal on a not so ideal house. Still, any house I buy will have room for a lift.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

So I ordered a 3" to 4" 45degree reducing coupler and 45 4" stainless pipe to fashion my own intake. Im excited it all fit pretty well, with the exception of the lower radiator hose resting against the intake. Which before it wouldnt even fit regardless how I moved the hose. I plan to exhaust wrap the hose so they dont rub into each other. Fortunately, the hose clears the clutch cylinder, my main concern as with the TScomp intake, it would force the hose onto the clutch fork. I was also worried the longer pipe and coupler wouldnt allow the large filter to fit, but its quite shoehorned in.

Name:  20131210_1104391.jpg
Size:  73.6 KB
Name:  20131210_1104571.jpg
Size:  71.1 KB

Next, the car is making its way to the exhaust shop. Need to convert an AMS 3 bolt flange downpipe to a 2 bolt. Then it can driven around and tuned. Hopefully no more snow for awhile!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

This is awesome!!!! Let me buy this from you!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IRISHEVOX
This is awesome!!!! Let me buy this from you!
Thanks for stopping by! And it is not for sale, nor will it ever be
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i did the exact same thing for the intake set up on my VIII lol kudos and well done sir.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by USCGSAM
i did the exact same thing for the intake set up on my VIII lol kudos and well done sir.
Thanks man! It works great, sounds excellent too! Got the car over to the exhaust shop today to weld up the downpipe and test pipe. Now just awaiting a tune! The sound of the Black so far is badass, esp with the 4" intake and no MAF. Its so loud it drowns out the 50mm Tial bov lol.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks man! It works great, sounds excellent too! Got the car over to the exhaust shop today to weld up the downpipe and test pipe. Now just awaiting a tune! The sound of the Black so far is badass, esp with the 4" intake and no MAF. Its so loud it drowns out the 50mm Tial bov lol.
enjoy the sound now... lol my 3582 sounded amazing to, then i made the choice to go open dump, for more power. and now i rarely here the turbo under real boost, spooling up/down i hear it but when the WG opens thats ALL I HEAR, i sware its like super retard VTECK lol sooo loud.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by USCGSAM
enjoy the sound now... lol my 3582 sounded amazing to, then i made the choice to go open dump, for more power. and now i rarely here the turbo under real boost, spooling up/down i hear it but when the WG opens thats ALL I HEAR, i sware its like super retard VTECK lol sooo loud.
Sure open dump would gain a little more hp, but I picked up a ported/coated O2 housing. So I wont be going open. Little too loud for my taste. On my old DSM, I had an open Turbonetics Deltagate wastegate. Holy **** was it loud lol. T4 turbo boostin 38psi

The whistle of the Black is pretty unique. Sounds identical to a friends Duramax when it spools up lol. My old T4 would almost make no sound till full boost then it was just screaming. But then again the wastegate was prob a touch louder and thats all I could hear lol.

Quick Reply: 99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion