Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was reading your thread to my wife. Now she wants me to do one too
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mofoSTI
Hahaha!!! That's awesome that your wife encourages your hobby. My wife looks at all my cars as junk until they're finished. She has a hard time picturing the end product until it's there

Also..... Updates!!! So with the help of my brother-in-law yesterday, we were able to get the passenger door hinge mounting fixed and lined up. Also mounted up the passenger fender, head lights and corner lights, wired up the sidemarkers and mocked up the bumper. The bumper will be coming off again shortly to install the fmic, ps oil cooler, evo hood latch, and the oem foglights (if they come in this week). I needed to clear up some garage space to pull the 4g63 so installing it helped lol. If time and weather permits, I'll be installing the side skirts tomorrow.
Mirage motor will hopefully be pulled in the next week and same with the evo motor.
Name:  11-27-11Evo.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  34.6 KB
Name:  11-27-11Evo2.jpg
Size:  34.3 KB
Name:  11-27-11Evo3.jpg
Size:  44.7 KB
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:20 PM

I don't feel that the side pics do the Evo 5 widebody fenders any justice, so here's a front pic lol.

Name:  11-27-11Evo4.jpg
Size:  31.7 KB
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
wow.... as mcdonads say "i'm Lovin It"
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mofoSTI
Thats a wife now. You got yourself a great one man

Edit: I love the car OP

Last edited by Singh0811; Nov 27, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3bar_dc2
The Evo 5 trunk is different than a Mirage trunk. I installed the Evo 5 tail lights, trunk with wing and trunk reflectors. I'm all for the wingless look (pictures of my Evo 8 are at the top of this page) but the Evo 4-6 (aka Mirage) can't pull it off too well. The idea is to make a legit Evo 5 out of this Mirage. Once I get it running, I'll start putting together a turbo setup shortly after. Most likely a 6262.

I have never felt more insulted.

Evo 4-6 =/= Mirage.

-Disgruntled Evolution 6 driver
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jush

Evo 4-6 =/= Mirage.

Who said they are the same? Read the title dude, it says CONVERSION, means that OP got a Mirage, and will convert it to an evo, mainly because there are no evo 6 in the US, and also because he can and wants to
OP, good job, keep going, I like your project.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Who said they are the same? Read the title dude, it says CONVERSION, means that OP got a Mirage, and will convert it to an evo, mainly because there are no evo 6 in the US, and also because he can and wants to
Telling me to read without reading

I understand he is doing a conversion. I was pointing at the fact he said the evo 4-6 was a mirage.

Better luck next time.

Awesome build OP, around these parts we see more GSR -> evo 3 conversions. You can always tell because the GSR has visibly less supporting welding/bracing (whichever it is) around the suspension/strut. Any possible problem like that with this build or are they alot more similar then the 'old school' ones were.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:30 AM

Evo 4-6 =/= Mirage.

What I meant in that post is that here in the U.S., the 97+ Mirage shares the same platform as the Evo 4-6 and neither can pull of the wingless look IMO.

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Thanks!

Telling me to read without reading

I understand he is doing a conversion. I was pointing at the fact he said the evo 4-6 was a mirage.

Better luck next time.

Awesome build OP, around these parts we see more GSR -> evo 3 conversions. You can always tell because the GSR has visibly less supporting welding/bracing (whichever it is) around the suspension/strut. Any possible problem like that with this build or are they alot more similar then the 'old school' ones were.
I think they're a lot more similar, but I do believe that the Evo has more bracing.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 01:44 PM

I picked up some side skirt clips from my brother last night so hopefully I'll get to mount them up this weekend. As long as it doesn't snow like it did last Sunday/Monday, I'll get the motor ready to pull and possible the interior stripped this weekend as well.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

nice! more pictures please.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
how much of the 5 rear chassis did you get ????
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by nffox
nice! more pictures please.
Sure thing. My digital camera took a crap while I was taking pictures of gauges I was trying to sell. I have my phone camera but uploading on it is a pain.

Originally Posted by todd6027
how much of the 5 rear chassis did you get ????
It's a cut of the rear floor pan from the back of the car all the way to under the rear seats. I have to trim up/drill spot welds from the excess sheet metal so I can install it on the car.

Thanks again for all the help on MLR regarding the ecu swap.

-As an update though, I went to the local upull and pulled a black dash and all the power window harnesses/switches. The car was originally manual windows and locks. The evo doors on there now are power but the RHD harnesses/switches are different so I had to scavenge some from a Mirage. Also found out that the motor that came in my clip is from an Evo 7. I spotted hollow cams which raised my suspicion and after checking the ID number on the block it came back as being a 7 engine so that's a bonus! Also realized my oil cooler isn't stock. It appears stock and says "Toyo Rad" on it but has HUGE AN lines going to it and has 15 rows which stock ones do not. Has a nice sheet metal duct running to the bumper as well
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
cool m8 no probs , 7 eng thats a result .

your fitting the full evo rear suspension yes , where the top rear alloy arms bolt to the body with two bolts, its different on a mirage the bolt holes dont line up with the evo arms . You gotta swap em out for evo ones . they are not to much hassle to change lots of spot welds to drill
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by todd6027
cool m8 no probs , 7 eng thats a result .

your fitting the full evo rear suspension yes , where the top rear alloy arms bolt to the body with two bolts, its different on a mirage the bolt holes dont line up with the evo arms . You gotta swap em out for evo ones . they are not to much hassle to change lots of spot welds to drill
The rear cut comes with the suspension cups so the bolt holes will be for the evo

Quick Reply: 99 Mirage -----> Evo 5 AWD conversion