Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Post All Your Custom Taillight Mods in Here! | [ALL THREADS MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2004, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i tried this on my silver evo but i warped the one tail a little in the heating up process so i aborted the mission, I will prolly give it another try tonight. It looks hot as hell. need to do the headlights too.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by asdf
another angle..
i like that a lot , for the first time you can reconize the brake light inside the window , looks very clean . very nice work man .

btw , ever think about giving the back lights a little tint?

o yeah another thing , you said taking out the shiny part was hard , what exactly did you have to do to get that out ? i dont understand was it like a sheet of plastic or something? sorry if i over-read this above if you explained it once

Last edited by Trail Slide; Jan 3, 2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Vanilla Sky
now that i think of it.. the stock tails on the silver look good. black housings on tarmac look good.. i wonder how color matching would look on the red, blue and yellows???
Pretty Impressive! And now we know that black housing tails on a black Evo looks really nice. I agree with Vanilla color matching isn't bad at all!
Old Jan 3, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

what kind of sealant did you use. i bought some headlights that were painted and they arent sealed right so no i need to go out and buy some but i dont know what kind to buy. adn need to know how much it was.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVO KING295

o yeah another thing , you said taking out the shiny part was hard , what exactly did you have to do to get that out ? i dont understand was it like a sheet of plastic or something? sorry if i over-read this above if you explained it once
It's not a sheet of plastic, it's the piece that you actually have to paint that is hard to get out. It is pressed into the tail light housing. The rim (outer edge) of the piece sits below the rim of the tail light housing and there is no way to grip it in the right place to pull it straight out. I started by pulling the outside (side towards quarter panel) apart and working towards the inside ( edge facing trunk)where it gets hard. As you work it out from the outside, it helps to take the press on the lenses and remove them, taking them out from between the housing and the shiny part you'll be painting. This gives you more flexibility to work (bend, pull, pry) the shiny part out. No need to remove the reverse lens. I used butter knives again here to pry the rim of the shiny part away and eventually out of the housing on the inside, top and bottom. I did my best to explain....not sure how clear it is.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Blue Oompa
what kind of sealant did you use. i bought some headlights that were painted and they arent sealed right so no i need to go out and buy some but i dont know what kind to buy. adn need to know how much it was.
I ended up using the silicon, but I left the bulbs out and vented from the back while it was drying...I figure the acetic acid vapor from the silicon might have fogged them without venting.
See the picture above, it was 3.49 from k-mart
Old Jan 3, 2004, 04:22 PM

Just finishing up the tail light / head light project. BUT, the tail lights were such a HUGE PITA! Hint for those of you who plan on doing this mod. Heat the blade! AND work slowly. I thought I was going pretty slow and still managed a few cracks.

The head lights were sooooo much easier. Even with all the plastic clips and the removal of the front clip and all the hid hardware.

Still need to do a bit of touching up. Hope to finish up by tomorrow.

Ronin
Old Jan 3, 2004, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, You really have to take your time with the tails. But it all worth it.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

That is the best tailight mod yet! Much better than the EVO VII conversion. Much better than just smoking the lens. I am so gonna do that to my tailights and my headlights. Awesome!!!
Old Jan 5, 2004, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Still like that clean mean look of the EVO VII tails on a Black EVO
This would be my second choice though
Old Jan 5, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
looks sweet.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Here's one on Yellow!
Attached Thumbnails Post All Your Custom Taillight Mods in Here! | [ALL THREADS MERGED]-p1010013.jpg  
Old Jan 6, 2004, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Question Tarmac Black or Matte Black

Those blacked-out taillamps look awesome!

I'm definitely going to do it myself. Question is: Tarmac Black or trim black?

I'm getting my front canards painted to match in a couple weeks. Would it be worth getting the headlamp and taillamp surrounds done by the paint shop as well? I'll take the lamps apart myself, of course, and just give them the chrome inserts. Is a matte finish preferable?

Old Jan 9, 2004, 08:00 PM

Kuniboy - Bell Mitsubishi huh? You are pretty close to me so maybe I can use your services
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Nice fellas.

Hey kuni, wanna do mine? LOL

Quick Reply: Post All Your Custom Taillight Mods in Here! | [ALL THREADS MERGED]