Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

"Rising like a Phoenix" rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No way in Hell I was giving up on this car!!! I love it too much. Plus it would be a shame to let an EB go.. They are so rare up here.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:02 PM

I Like the flexfuel badge!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Just a small update. All the body panels were shipped to the auto body shop so I don't have any pics of those yet. Here's a couple of random stuff that showed up.

Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear swaybar and 3" downpipe for the HKS carbon TI exhaust.

ARP headstuds, solid radiator pipe (for the Mishimoto radiator), Aerocatch hood pins

The JDM rear, front bumper and hood were delivered. The shop is in the process of prepping them this week. The fenders should be here by mid week and once they are in the shop will start fitting all the front end pieces together.
The rear fenders have been rolled and widened by 10mm and the trunk lid has been refinished. The rest of the body panels have been smoothed out and prepped for paint. I'm sticking with the EB and doing 4 coats of clear.
Hopefully I can get some updated pics this week. I can't wait to get it back.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice man, good luck!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Well, got my second set of c-speed fenders and apparently these ones weren't' broken but they don't fit right.. The auto body shop said that they can't open the doors without cracking the fenders. I need to go up tonight and see what they are talking about.
I can't find a stock drivers fender anywhere for a decent price.. It's been almost 2 months.. I want my car back!!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Small update adn a little venting... I ordered a set of Chargespeed fenders which showed up completely destroyed. The vendor I bought them from told me "oh well".. SO I put a stop payment on the credit card. Then I ordered another set of Chargespeed fenders from another vendor. They showed up fine but the fitment and quality was so horrible that my auto shop refused to put them on the car. We couldnt' get them to come close to lining up without them crakcing adn doing about 12 hours of work to re-shape them. This time the vendor tried to open a case with Chargespeed and had me send pics of the fitment (which I did). Chargespeed came back and said that I wasn't mounting them straight and that they were fine and not defective. Basically if we tried to bend them to fit they would have cracked in half.
So in short - Chargespeed makes pretty much the worst fitting, low quality product I have ever seen... STAY AWAY!!!
In the end I had to fork out another couple hundred for a stock fender and put them back on... Now I have 2 sets of chargespeed fenders sitting in my garage.. I could have just bought a set of carbon fiber fenders for the amount I wasted on these crap fenders..
On a high note, all the parts are in and the car should be ready in about a week! Pics to follow..
Old Jan 8, 2012, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck man can't wait to see pics once it's done
Old Jan 8, 2012, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck, everyone has some troubles down the road...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Quick update, test fitting the front end.

Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:13 PM

Looking good! Keep us updated, Seen her rolling around town a few times before the accident.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Paint is done. Now they can re-assemble and get it next door to fit the exhaust and prime the ACD.

enjoy

Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking good man! Did you request the whole car to be painted? Or did they just clear the whole car(besides roof etc)? Most shops try to cheap out and blend the color, hell even try and blend the clear, which I have yet to see successfully done lol.

Edit: just saw that you had the rear fenders rolled/flared. Car will look great. Nothing like fresh paint!

Last edited by tsidrift1; Jan 17, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Looks great man, any reason you didn't go to one of the more well known shops in Colorado? If they want more Evo business I need a clutch done soon if they want to hook me up on a price for labor.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks!! I did not request a full re-paint but they said it would be better than trying to blend the Electric blue. They are very thorough. The also -re-cleared the whole thing (including the CF hood). These guys are awesome if you need body/paint done!!
jdlewh, I'm having the body and paint done at a actual auto body shop, but Track Star performance is right next door and they are doing the Exhaust and ACD work. Those guys are pretty well known here in Colorado. Give Jon a call over there, he can give you a quote on a new clutch.

Quick Reply: "Rising like a Phoenix" rebuild