Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Griot's Garage Orbital Polisher / Products Review - GG Evo IX Shine

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Griot's Garage Orbital Polisher / Products Review - GG Evo IX Shine

I have wanted a good orbital polisher for a long time now and I finally ordered one a couple weeks ago.

After looking at the Porter Cable, Flex, and Griot's, I decided on the Griot's Garage orbital based on reviews, power, and, honestly just getting everything I needed in one place.

I ordered the ultimate polish/wax kit as well as a clay pad and some glass polish/pads. I also got an extra wax pad and paint sealant.

I got the Evo a few weeks ago and wanted to get a good protectant layer of sealer/wax on it for winter. The Talon will be next, but it still has a good coat of wax on it.

I just spent the last couple days using the Griot's products and I am happy with the results.

The car was first washed with Dawn to strip any old wax off. I then used 3M masking tape to cover all the trim to keep wax/polish off the plastic. It was then cleaned with Griot's clay and speedshine.

First, the polishes are very mild. The #3 polish takes a lot of work even to remove some minor swirl marks. The #2 polish works a little faster but still doesn't cut very fast. I would probably use a Meguiars professional polish to get the job done faster.

The Evo does not have much swirl marks but had some light scratches around the door handles. The #2 polish followed by #3 did a good job of removing these light scratches.

Removal isn't difficult, but I plan to order some removal bonnets to make the process go faster in the future.

I applied sealant after the polish, which did a good job of filling most of the remaining swirl marks. It goes on very easy and comes off easy.

After the sealant sat overnight I applied the Best of Show Wax in a very thin layer. Once hazed up it came off pretty easy but got a bit hazy and left some streaks in a few places. It just took a little more buffing to get the streaky spots, but the final finish looks fantastic. The Best of Show Wax did a great job of filling in the remaining swirl marks and gave it a deep gloss.

I also cleaned the trim and applied 303 Products Protectant, which does a great job of cleaning the trim and restoring its black, while adding UV protection. I would recommend the 303 for any trim work.

I managed to take some pictures in diffused lighting as it was partly cloudy. It has been raining today and it is supposed to rain all week. So, unfortunately the car will be very dirty within a few days of commuting. Hopefully the combination of sealant and wax provides good protection for the rest of winter.

Overall I think the Griot's products work well, and the orbital is great. I would definitely recommend the 25' cord as it was nice to not have to drag around an extension cord.

What do you think?

Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
You did a great job and it looks gorgeous! Why did you leave the sealant on overnight though? I usually use Meguiars and Adam's products.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Looks great! Better than new. Nice review!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Griots does good stuff all around. I have used a lot of their products, always with good results.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About how much did the entire kit cost including the polisher?

Looks great.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks guys. I was just happy to have a break in the rain to take a couple pictures. It is going to be kind of depressing to have it instantly dirty.

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
You did a great job and it looks gorgeous! Why did you leave the sealant on overnight though? I usually use Meguiars and Adam's products.
I applied the sealant and then buffed it before letting it sit overnight. Sealants usually have a cure time so I didn't want to apply wax over the top of it right after putting it on. That, and it was late.

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
About how much did the entire kit cost including the polisher?

Looks great.
This is the kit I got:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

With the extra pad, sealant, clay pad, glass polish, glass clay, and glass polish discs it was about $400 total. It is going to get a lot of use and the polish/wax should last a while. I would order a bigger bottle of speed shine if I were to do it again. The little one the kit came with was good for one clay bar use. The bag is pretty nice and their micro fiber cloths are definitely nicer than the cases of micro fiber cleaning cloths I usually buy.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great!! My evo is gonna get a good buffing this winter. I use a product called Presta. Its a 3 stage polishing kit with 3 different wheels for 3 different polishes. I use it mainly when I wetsand and buff a car after paint. Its pretty nice stuff.

What you got def. seems to do the job though!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Those are the only products I use on my evo Looking good
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice. I would love to get my car polished up somewhere. I just don't trust anyone. I only own a High speed buffer =\
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Soooo clean
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

I bet the car really shines in some good light. But even in the dim light it looks great.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice. I got their orbital recently but have not used it yet
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:21 PM

Very nice.. Im more of a PoorBoy product fanboy, but you did a great job..

Join the forums over at autogeek.net, ive learned TONS about paint care over there..
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:15 PM

Thanks guys. One week commuting in the rain and it is very dirty. Kind of depressing to look at, but it's going to be rainy here for the next 5 months. ;s

I will check out the autogeek.net site, thank's for the suggestion.

Happy New Year