Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Rear quarter/fender issues...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear quarter/fender issues...

the paint started poppin' real bad on my rear pass. side and today I said enough and took the sanding disc to the paint to reveal what was underneath. I was quite shocked on how bad it really is..
There is evidence of previous work as this area had been re-sprayed. So now, My options.. I know the proper fix is to cut out the bad metal and weld in new. I figure since I have to do this, I might as well make room for some fat rubber..especially since I am due for new summer tires and will be getting new wheels to mount the new tires on. I remember seeing what looked like metal +10mm wide fender lips..Anyone know what I am talking about? What else can I do that will be stock looking if anything? What kind of rubber can I jam under the rear with fender mods on stock ride height? I am thinking 275? Will 275's fit on the front ? Have a look and let me know what you guys think?

Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, that's the exact same problem I have. I took it to the stealership about a year ago to see if they would cover it under the perforation warranty and they denied it because they said it wasn't all the way through. A few months later I tried to fix it myself and the rust did in fact go all the way through I tried Bondo but it's already bubbling up and starting to rust again. Curious to hear some other suggestions on how to fix it.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ian0611
Yep, that's the exact same problem I have. I took it to the stealership about a year ago to see if they would cover it under the perforation warranty and they denied it because they said it wasn't all the way through. A few months later I tried to fix it myself and the rust did in fact go all the way through I tried Bondo but it's already bubbling up and starting to rust again. Curious to hear some other suggestions on how to fix it.
Yea, I had mine at the stealer in the spring and had the manager take a look.. He looked at it and said this car was re-sprayed and that it's not under the warranty. I didn't push the issue knowing if they find any previous work, your done. A couple weeks after that, I met another Evo guy from the forum and indeed the car was resprayed. He pointed some things out as proof..

So now I'm at the point I have to get this taken care of before it gets worse.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Man yours is pretty bad. Only way to save it now is to honestly cut it out. Looking at an easy $1,000
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys can try POR15 rust treatment. It reverses or stops the corrosion process from taking place. I've tried it on my car and it seems to be ok so far, only has been on there for a month or so.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn that's brutal. I'm scared to look into mine.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
You guys can try POR15 rust treatment. It reverses or stops the corrosion process from taking place. I've tried it on my car and it seems to be ok so far, only has been on there for a month or so.
This is good for surface and minor rust issues. For something like this, the metal should be replaced. Honestly if it were me, I would try to find a totaled evo with an intact rear 1/4 and cut out the piece I needed, or just buy a whole new rear panel from the stealership. By the time the bodyshop charges you $85-$125 an hour to have some shlep finagle a piece of metal in there and make it look halfway straight, you will have paid for the panel anyways. Mine as well do it right.

Link to a new rear 1/4 panel And it turns out they're not even expensive. Cheap way to make sure it gets done right.

-James

Last edited by 05ah8james; Dec 28, 2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

you can also cut the area out and weld in a new section than apply a rust prevention spray and than body filler and than turn you rear quarters into this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2...0/IMG_6010.JPG
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same issue with my driver side rear fender. I already got it fixed and thought it was something that I might have caused (don't remember hitting anything).
But looks like its a problem from the manufacturer. Obviously I would be wasting my time speaking with the dealership.
I have a brother in law who is a class action suit attorney. I think I'm gonna check with him and see what he says.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prockish_03evo
you can also cut the area out and weld in a new section than apply a rust prevention spray and than body filler and than turn you rear quarters into this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2...0/IMG_6010.JPG
I did this to my car. I doubt any bodyshop would be willing to do this unless you threw a stack of cash on the counter.

Originally Posted by sti2evo9mr
I had the same issue with my driver side rear fender. I already got it fixed and thought it was something that I might have caused (don't remember hitting anything).
But looks like its a problem from the manufacturer. Obviously I would be wasting my time speaking with the dealership.
I have a brother in law who is a class action suit attorney. I think I'm gonna check with him and see what he says.
Its a common problem. The undercoating on the inside of the fenderwells in the rear is inferior, and the salt from the roads likes to sit on top of that lip and eat away at the metal.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Just had it at a shop to have a friend of a friend take a look at it. He told me 500 to fix both sides going the POR15 route to stop the rust and then filler and paint. Said it wont last forever but I will get some years out of it... which I know is prolly true.. hmmmm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

i have the same issue accept with the driver side.. maybe i should take a look at my passenger side as well...

pic of my issue