Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Underbody pics..

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michigan guy here, my car was driven in the winters I'm sure and it looks like total crap under it. So much rust.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

this morning i experimented and went to a parts store and the guy recomended duplicolor rust fix for the underbody, you apply straight to the rust and it turns it to black primer withing a couple coats. if the rust is flaking you can wire brush it down to the surface here are some results i think it looks pretty damn good for the price check my driveshaft in the original pics on the first post and compare them to these not bad...dont know if i should do a top coat at this point it looks decent and i dont really think i need it i mainly did it for protection. i need to finish the second half of the driveshaft still..

before rear
Name:  bdca0b3c.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  236.3 KB
after rear
Name:  bb0a708a.jpg
Size:  265.2 KB
the rest are all after pics compare to originals driveshaft looks cleaner and has a more polished look
Name:  b73ecf18.jpg
Size:  258.6 KB
Name:  30e5d3ac.jpg
Size:  347.0 KB
Name:  5ec65aea.jpg
Size:  314.6 KB
Name:  89106cf5.jpg
Size:  259.0 KB
Name:  75f5d1c6.jpg
Size:  266.7 KB
Name:  e422fd32.jpg
Size:  323.3 KB

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; May 26, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by khmerguyx
Dont cars usually come with some kind of coating from factory? I was reading that if a dealer offers you to do an under coat it is just a waste of money since it already comes from factory
yes but the coat eventually gets worn there are many options out there to protect your underbody if your worryed, i dident have a choice bc i bought my car used so i need to work with what i have, if i had the car from the get go it would look probably look better thats why im trying to restore it a little.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
yes but the coat eventually gets worn there are many options out there to protect your underbody if your worryed, i dident have a choice bc i bought my car used so i need to work with what i have, if i had the car from the get go it would look probably look better thats why im trying to restore it a little.
I see. Yea I live in MN so winter sucks!
Old May 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
deadstockkpomp

Just a suggestion. That exhaust & the rear alum beams is what is killing the look IMO

Get a nice SST exhaust & keep it clean using a Scotch Brite pad & some Simple Green
Use the Scotch Brite pad on the rear & front alum beams using Simple Green & a lot of water.

Great to see that you have an under carriage detail interest. Most dont

Although I live in the South (So Cal) my beams were not always that clean
Old May 26, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
deadstockkpomp

Just a suggestion. That exhaust & the rear alum beams is what is killing the look IMO

Get a nice SST exhaust & keep it clean using a Scotch Brite pad & some Simple Green
Use the Scotch Brite pad on the rear & front alum beams using Simple Green & a lot of water.

Great to see that you have an under carriage detail interest. Most dont

Although I live in the South (So Cal) my beams were not always that clean
is it possible to clean that exhaust its not really rusty id say more on the dirty side? i have some volcanic green cleaning stuff if thats what your saying, also im confused on what beams your speaking of.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
is it possible to clean that exhaust its not really rusty id say more on the dirty side? i have some volcanic green cleaning stuff if thats what your saying, also im confused on what beams your speaking of.
If your exhaust is SST, I say go for it. Looks like rusty steel pipe to me. There are so many cleaning agents, I just happen use a lot of Simple Green when cleaning the under carriage. Your call for sure. Don the blue glove & w/ EVO on the ramps w/ garden hose in hand. (Scrub those alum suspension pieces).

Old May 27, 2012, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sliqdaddy91
LOL apples to oranges comparing SoCal underbodies to those of us from MI, NY etc...4 seasons FTL i'm too embarrassed to post mine
Exactly, Illinois is in the category too. If its driven in the winter, you can expect a not so new looking underbody.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Back in 2010 i bought a 03 Evo from Michigan o man not good.
That car had so much rust under it and in the engine bay had only
69k on it lets just say i sold it after a year of having it and bought one from california so much cleaner.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rhd-jon
Back in 2010 i bought a 03 Evo from Michigan o man not good.
That car had so much rust under it and in the engine bay had only
69k on it lets just say i sold it after a year of having it and bought one from california so much cleaner.
This is my bay 71,xxx miles and i dont think my underbodies that bad i think it can be better though
Name:  bb614819.jpg
Size:  366.3 KB
This is before i cleaned it
Name:  36e23c16.jpg
Size:  314.2 KB

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; May 27, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

pretty good
Old May 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Well, there's one good thing about living in California.

XD
Old May 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

There are plenty of special washes and solvents you can use to clean the underbody. I usually get something like simplegreen and spray things down underneath once a year. Some light scrubbing and hose it off. I spray my exhaust with some chrome wheel cleaner, then rinse it off and it shines like new.

Just have to keep up on the cleaning so it doesn't get out of hand. If you drive the car daily, especially in the northern states of the U.S., things will rust, but you can attempt to prevent it with some sprays and paints. You just have to pay a bit more attention to the udnerbody than the southern states.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

looking at all these pix tomorrow i ma make it a day to clean the under of my car y not
Old May 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't cleaned up the rear suspension yet but I got all that ******* messy undercoating off! Used a catalyzed sealer instead, no more mess now when I'm working around stuff under the car.

Lots of degreaser, scotchbrite pads, blue shop towels and elbow grease. Haven't taken any pics of it after re-coating yet though.

Quick Reply: Underbody pics..