Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012 | 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

I think the stainless looks better than the anodized really.
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

love this thread. deff doing this over the next few weeks
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Sure thing!

This is my order I placed back in Sept. Copied and pasted here. Of course, you dont have to order as many, I just ordered a bunch cause I knew my buddies would want them once they saw mine haha!

Anything with a 10mm head, is the 6mmx1.0mm thread size. Anything with a 12mm head is the 8mmx1.25mm thread size. The finishing washers are measured in standard cause they arent available in actual metric sizes. I shopped around and found that these washers fit great with the metric bolts.

Quantity Description Unit Price Subtotal Status
20 pieces #6685 - Metric socket flat head, Stainless steel 18-8, 6mm x 1.0mm x 10mm $0.14 $2.80 Shipped
1 box of 100 #6689 - Metric socket flat head, Stainless steel 18-8, 6mm x 1.0mm x 25mm $12.45 $12.45 Shipped
10 pieces #6700 - Metric socket flat head, Stainless steel 18-8, 8mm x 1.25mm x 25mm $0.50 $5.00 Shipped
1 box of 100 #2941 - Finishing washers, Stainless steel 18-8, #14 (1/4) $6.32 $6.32 Shipped
10 pieces #5579 - Finishing washers, Stainless steel 18-8, 5/16" $0.19 $1.90 Shipped
Subtotal $28.47
Tax $0.00
Shipping $9.96
Total $38.43

but how do you know what bolts go where? espicially the ones that we put the colored washers on
Old Nov 15, 2012 | 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

IM VERY INTERESTED IN THIS but after reading this about aluminum and stainless steel being next to each other and being exposed to heat, friction and water (like rain or car wash) woulndt these damage the fenders or hood

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7875111_ca...-aluminum.html

or am I reading too deep into it?
Old Nov 15, 2012 | 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ant_BLR
but how do you know what bolts go where? espicially the ones that we put the colored washers on
What colored washers? All my sets are all stainless. I dont worry about lengths as all the bolts I replaced just have a nut on the back that the bolt can go through. There are only two sizes of bolts that I used when I did mine. Just the 6mm diam. and the 8mm diam. bolts.

The bolts I used are not an EXACT replacement. They are just the same thread and pitch. I just got them to replace the old bolts for a cleaner new look. The bolts for your valve cover do need to be a certain length. The longer 6mm bolts in my list work just fine as thats what I am using now.
Old Nov 15, 2012 | 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Without reading entire thread, do you have the sizes for all engine bay with schematics of what they would replace? I can help you in the end once you do that... might be a full umm replacement for Dress-up or any other company.. I'll be hitting PRI this year and would love to provide those measurements to some companies...
Old Nov 15, 2012 | 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ Step 1: do your research. this thread is not long
Old Nov 16, 2012 | 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
What colored washers? All my sets are all stainless. I dont worry about lengths as all the bolts I replaced just have a nut on the back that the bolt can go through. There are only two sizes of bolts that I used when I did mine. Just the 6mm diam. and the 8mm diam. bolts.

The bolts I used are not an EXACT replacement. They are just the same thread and pitch. I just got them to replace the old bolts for a cleaner new look. The bolts for your valve cover do need to be a certain length. The longer 6mm bolts in my list work just fine as thats what I am using now.

so 6mm go on valve cover and the 8mm go on everything else?
Old Feb 24, 2013 | 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

i finally got around to installing the bolts. so i ordered 20 of the button heads but unfortunately i ordered the wrong length. i wanted to used them on the valve cover but they were too short. so i decided to use them around the engine bay.

i changed out my battery for a Miata battery. so i modded the factory tray to fit the new battery and even used a button head bolt there

thank you for posting up what was needed. i think it changes the look quite a bit!
Old Mar 19, 2013 | 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
i finally got around to installing the bolts. so i ordered 20 of the button heads but unfortunately i ordered the wrong length. i wanted to used them on the valve cover but they were too short. so i decided to use them around the engine bay.

i changed out my battery for a Miata battery. so i modded the factory tray to fit the new battery and even used a button head bolt there

thank you for posting up what was needed. i think it changes the look quite a bit!
What battery tray is that?
Old Mar 19, 2013 | 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

It's the stock tray. I modified it for the new battery
Old Mar 21, 2013 | 05:43 PM

Looks great!

How'd you get the 4G63 painted on the valve cover?

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Ok Boys. Just received my SST bolts/lock nuts & washers. Cost approx $36.00

All in all, a modest, positive appearance change. Enjoyed the quick project

Old Mar 31, 2013 | 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

I finally got around to installing these today

Here are the bolts and counts for what I did:
"Small" Bolts:
Name:  5zfzBlGl.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  71.0 KB
If I did this again, I'd also order some 15mm and 20mm "small" bolts because these were too long for some things like the radiator hose bolts, etc., etc. They're cheap and I'm sure I'd find a use for them

"Large" Bolts:
Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit-3vcnmmal.jpg

Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit-3wnpjitl.jpg
Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit-psdrdjvl.jpg

Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit-2jtesb9l.jpg
Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit-xptasajl.jpg

Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit-yymncczl.jpg
Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit-qfmppdfl.jpg

And the counts:
-Fenders: 6 Small
-Headlights: 4 Small
-Fusebox: 2 Small
-Radiator Tank: 2 Small
-Bumper: 2 Small
-Valve Cover: 6 Small (I only did the front 3)
-Timing Cover: 2 Small (I only did the top 2)
-ACD: 2 Large
-Radiator: 2 Large
-A/C Line: 1 Large
-P/S Tank: 2 Large
-P/S Line: 1 Large
-Radiator Fan: 2 Large

There are many things I didn't replace and the bolts are so cheap I'd recommend ordering extras if you're going by my counts. I also have some 10mm "small" bolts but they're so damn short I forget why I ordered them and where they would be used

There are some places like the valve cover where a standard hex bolt head would look better with a normal flat washer under it as opposed to these "flush" washers and tapered head bolts, but I haven't been by Ace hardware to pick any of those up yet

Last edited by llDemonll; Mar 31, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2013 | 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
I finally got around to installing these today

Here are the bolts and counts for what I did:
"Small" Bolts:

If I did this again, I'd also order some 15mm and 20mm "small" bolts because these were too long for some things like the radiator hose bolts, etc., etc. They're cheap and I'm sure I'd find a use for them

"Large" Bolts:

And the counts:
-Fenders: 6 Small
-Headlights: 4 Small
-Fusebox: 2 Small
-Radiator Tank: 2 Small
-Bumper: 2 Small
-Valve Cover: 6 Small (I only did the front 3)
-Timing Cover: 2 Small (I only did the top 2)
-ACD: 2 Large
-Radiator: 2 Large
-A/C Line: 1 Large
-P/S Tank: 2 Large
-P/S Line: 1 Large
-Radiator Fan: 2 Large

There are many things I didn't replace and the bolts are so cheap I'd recommend ordering extras if you're going by my counts. I also have some 10mm "small" bolts but they're so damn short I forget why I ordered them and where they would be used

There are some places like the valve cover where a standard hex bolt head would look better with a normal flat washer under it as opposed to these "flush" washers and tapered head bolts, but I haven't been by Ace hardware to pick any of those up yet
Super, thanks for taking the effort to document this
Old Apr 1, 2013 | 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

I spent $26 at ACE hardware today...very limited bolt selection. I spent $5.27 (+$10 shipping) at bolt depot now re-ordering all the bolts I bought at ace and in the correct sizes + washers

they should be here next week and i'll get a good list of part numbers + quantities for bolts from bolt depot that need to be ordered and what all bolts can be changed on the engine bay

I ordered normal hex-head bolts for the spark plug cover + timing belt cover + valve cover + radiator hoses because IMO they look better for those application than the flush washers + tapered bolts. I'm still torn on which I like more for the valve cover so we'll see...

Quick Reply: Make Your Own Engine Dress Bolt Kit