Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

CF A Pillar defi bf oil temp and boost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless the temp sensor outright blocks off the side passage my take on this is that even if there is a very small hole the pressure sensor will function. I don't think that volume of flow is an issue, thus a small hole will only serve to smooth out potential pressure fluctuations.

I am strongly considering placing an order tonight for a set of the fittings. To be honest I'm only afraid of the shipping cost!

Originally posted by aray
Fittings look good. I guess it all depends on how big the T is inside whether the temp sensor would block things for the pressure sensor. I think I'll try to place an order for both and see what happens.

I'll also try to get some pics of how far down my oil filter is. Some people might not be concerned and choose to use the greddy block.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

I placed an order for the fittings.

Fittings look good. I guess it all depends on how big the T is inside whether the temp sensor would block things for the pressure sensor. I think I'll try to place an order for both and see what happens.

I'll also try to get some pics of how far down my oil filter is. Some people might not be concerned and choose to use the greddy block.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 06:26 PM

Did you get the shipping cost?

I think your right. As long as there is a small hole the pressure should be distributed propperly and the sensor work.

For routing the wires I chose to go around the under car shielding following the same path as the oil cooler hose. Then I put the wire up behind the oil cooler and used the AC lines to rout it to the hole in the fire wall. There are a couple of useful holes in the shielding under the car to zip tie the wire down.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

No - they owe me an email with shipping cost. Also I couldn't find a way to give them a credit card number in a secure means via their web site. I plan to fax the number to them when I get the total cost for the order. I ordered extra fittings just in case.

When I get a cost I will post it.

I did something similar for the existing Mitsubishi oil temperature sensor, but went through the inner fender rather than the firewall. Right now I have a hose run up to the dash. Thus I could mount the boost sensor inside and keep the hose in place or mount the sensor on the firewall. I haven't decided what to do with this one.

Did you get the shipping cost?

I think your right. As long as there is a small hole the pressure should be distributed propperly and the sensor work.

For routing the wires I chose to go around the under car shielding following the same path as the oil cooler hose. Then I put the wire up behind the oil cooler and used the AC lines to rout it to the hole in the fire wall. There are a couple of useful holes in the shielding under the car to zip tie the wire down.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the great job guys!

Keep us posted.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

To date Thorite UK has not acknowledged my order. I sent them mail today specifically requesting a response and received no response.

Given Thorite appears to refuse to deal with US orders, I requested another firm to consider importing the fittings. I will report on the results when they get back to me.

Originally posted by whiterexman

Keep us posted.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

When I'm wrong I admit it. So here goes.

Basically McMaster-Carr has two fittings which are of interest with respect to fitting Defi sensors to the Evo's oil filter block.

4860K692 - Brass Threaded Pipe
Fitting Nickl-Pltd, 3/8" Bspt Male X1/8" Bspp Female, Hex Bush

4860K461 - Brass Threaded Pipe
Fitting Nickel-Pltd, Bspt Male X Bspp Female, 1/8" Branch Tee

A question that remains to be answered is if the temperature sensor will fit down in the T fitting. I need the length and diameter for the sensor.

Originally posted by whiterexman

Keep us posted.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by strat

A question that remains to be answered is if the temperature sensor will fit down in the T fitting. I need the length and diameter for the sensor.
Can anyone with Defi gauge answer this question for us?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:52 AM

Unfortunately, mine is hooked up. But the length of the probe isn't more than an inch (maybe a half inch beyone the threads). The diamater is a little less than the 1/8 BSP threaded portion (maybe ~1 mm less).
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I had trouble determining the inside diameter of the fittings (my caliper is really too big for this job). The caliper said 0.22, but I was able to drop a 1/4 inch drill into the fitting with a few thousands to left over.

My guess right now is that the T fitting needs to be drilled out to permit the sensor to fit as the seat at the base of the threads is much larger than 1 mm. This shouldn't be a problem as there is sufficient wall thickness.

You can see in the picture I posted above the seat at the bottom of the reducing bushing. aray -> does it look like the sensor could go through the hole?

Alternatively one could add a nipple and coupling, assuming they don't have seats in them as well.

Unfortunately, mine is hooked up. But the length of the probe isn't more than an inch (maybe a half inch beyone the threads). The diamater is a little less than the 1/8 BSP threaded portion (maybe ~1 mm less).

Last edited by freedom; Jun 7, 2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

I thought I would post a recommendation for someone who wants to fit a single sensor via the oil filter block. The McMaster-Carr 860K692 bushing will directly permit fitting the Defi oil pressure sensor without modification. This occurs because the depth of the bushing is sufficient in that the Defi sensor doesn't bottom out on the bushing seat. See picture above.

When I have more news I will update this thread. I hope this helps someone out.

Last edited by freedom; Jun 7, 2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

looks good
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by strat
When I have more news I will update this thread. I hope this helps someone out.
Any updates? Keep up the good work
Old Mar 26, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

i ordered a PSI3 monitor from Quantum Racing some time ago. the unit uses these Defi sensors. Quantum it is fair to say dropped the ball. i am hoping in the next week or so to have a unit. At that point I will install the sensors.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 04:35 PM

I'm still using the greddy adaptor. I haven't had any problems with leaks and the guages are working great. Next time I change my oil I'm going to pop in the defi pressure sensor.

I'm looking into some of the front suspension pieces to see if they would drop down below the lower oil filter position to completely elimanate the chance of bottoming out. I think it is pretty unlikely that it would ever get hit but if it did it would suck!!! Maybe the works crux plate, cusco or rmr braces would help protect the slightly lower oil filter?

Quick Reply: CF A Pillar defi bf oil temp and boost