Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

JDM parts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM parts

Hello everyone! Im new to posting on forums, so be gentle. Im going on vacation to Japan at the end of March. Does anyone know (from experience hopefully) what the guidelines are for items you can bring back on the returning flight? Im going to try and bring back JDM Evo 9 headlights and tail lights. Anyone with any info please post!! Thanks for info in advance!

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You realize how big those items actually are, right?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:37 PM

Imho Fed-ex or ups would be you best be
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:44 AM

What part of Japan, You can actually go to a Japanese post office and EMS the stuff back it would be cheaper than FedEx or UPS.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:17 AM

Guys, I was hoping I could just load up my stuff on the plane and just get charged what ever baggage fees are. I only planned on taking 2 changes of clothes and a laptop. I was planning to load up no more than 100 pounds worth of stuff. Now, I realize Im getting ahead of myself since i dont have any idea where im going to find the parts I want but ill cross that bridge when i get there. I just want to know if ill get any trouble for having 4 sets of Headlights in my luggage. So any info you guys may have as far as where i can buy these parts would help a lot too! I was assuming that maybe there is a junk yard I can take parts from.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by silviasichigo
What part of Japan, You can actually go to a Japanese post office and EMS the stuff back it would be cheaper than FedEx or UPS.
Im not 100% sure yet, but we will be buying a train pass and will have access to transportation all over the country to hunt down parts or sight seeing!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how you're planing on protecting those lights in the bag. You seen how they handle baggage at the airports. Like post above said your best bet is to ship them back via EMS.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:57 AM

yea that is definitely a concern, maybe I can ship them. Any one have any idea how I can find JDM evo parts?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by bphx123
I'm not sure how you're planing on protecting those lights in the bag. You seen how they handle baggage at the airports. Like post above said your best bet is to ship them back via EMS.

Right! those bags get thrown and dropped and dragged. Not a great plan to put lights in a bag that is going to be handled several times by airport workers. GL
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:56 AM

I wonder if parts are actually cheaper in Japan or if its not worth shipping them to US. What should i bring back? Im too excited for the possibilities! Has anyone been to Japan and brought back parts for their Evo!?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You best chance is to ship them thought Fedex or Ups.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:30 AM

Yea I think I will go that route instead, besides headlights and tailights, what else would be a good idea to bring back for my Evo 9?!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:49 PM

lurker here. for the most part, as long as you claim your purchases customs shouldn't really care what parts you return with (especially head and tail lights). i'm sure you'll be under the $10k limit and if they ask, just be honest and tell them its for your car.

where in japan will you be going?

i travel to tokyo every year and can tell you that the rail pass is not your best bet if you don't plan on using the bullet train (shinkansen). a suica rechargeable rail card might be an economical alternate.

that aside, i strongly suggest you google the shops you want to go to. unlike america, japan does not have an address system that will give you a definite location. not to mention you'll be in a foreign country looking for something most people have no knowledge of. google shops like up garage and super autobacs to find the nearest location to your hotel.

with the current exchange rate you're losing about .12 to the dollar so factor that into your buying as well.

i hope this doesn't bum your trip. i'm just trying to share the experiences i've had. there's a lot to be found, but honestly you might save yourself some headaches by purchasing online from the comfort of you home. =P trust me, there's nothing like lugging a strut bar through a crowded train station in tokyo. good times!

if this is your first time in tokyo, check out a show i produced last year that was broadcast in hawaii called travelotaku. https://vimeo.com/planetfunction/videos
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

The best parts to be had in japan are usually purchased on Yahoo auctions Japan. There are a few used part stores, upgarage and parts off, but prices is usually high.
You can go to upgarage's website and search their entire stock for what you want using your body code. Once in Japan you can go to a local store and tell them the part you want and they can have it shipped from another upgarage location.
Arline baggage usually has a weight limit of 70lbs and something like 300$ if you are over. I would not suggest doing that, as they will near likely arrive broken. Customs will not be a problem, however.
I think the easiest way to get these items are using a importer. There are companies here in Japan that their only business is exporting car parts. I can tell you, if most of your trip to come here is to buy car parts, you will be horribly disappointed. You will find it extremely hard to navigate here, and as said about the pass is not worth it unless you plan to travel far. If you are flying into Narita and don't plan to go to Nagano, Kyoto, ect, just get a Suica card.

I think all in all, many Americans have the wrong perception of Japan. There is no junkyard full of Hondas and Evos where you go load up on parts. I don't know where this myth started, but parts are so much cheaper like so much of America thinks. There is no $1 part store where we buy our parts and rip the rest of the world off. There is likely nothing over here worth buying, weather to make a profit or use on your car, 90% of these parts are in America, are comparable prices.

As far as Fedex and UPS, you will spend more shipping headlights then your round trip ticket costed to come here.

Last edited by SaulHudson; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:18 PM

hmm very good points, originally the reason for visiting was simply to explore the country, and visit Tokyo city. The idea of bringing back parts came up in a conversation about JDM parts. I will put forth as much effort into bringing back fragile headlights but i definitely will bring back things like some shift knobs and stickers,and lots of mangas. I appreciate the help on bringing jdm parts and any further comments on how to enjoy/navigate Japan are also welcome! Thanks fellas!

Quick Reply: JDM parts