Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My ultimate custom gauge pod by Tfresh (ash tray pod) prepped sanded+painted by me

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ultimate custom gauge pod by Tfresh (ash tray pod) prepped sanded+painted by me

Well last season I decided to make myself a custom gauge pod since I'm not a fan of the triple setup people run where the radio gets relocated so I contacted Tim, the creator of the ash tray pod about making me a setup.

First off, Tim is a GREAT guy! He is SUPER friendly and was nice enough to drive to my work to see what I was dealing with and what I wanted. Then he put quite a few hours into designing and printing the piece. He refuses payment for his time but I will surely be throwing him some money soon!

Last season I used a piece of wood and bondo and it got the job done but from the summer heat, then winter cold the edges started cracking which caused the paint to chip and crack, plus it wasn't nearly good enough for my liking. Here's the progress at the very start

Yes, everyone in my house told me I'm crazy

The rest of the dash remains the same except the new gauge pod/switch pannel.

I wanna give a HUGE thanks to Tfresh, Tom, he does excellent work and is very knowledgeable and incredibly easy to work with. Without him this wouldn't have happened for me and I couldn't possibly be happier with the outcome.

Before pics I want to say this is a 1 piece unit, made out of pure ABS plastic.

This is how I received it from Tim...

After a lot of sanding because it has to be 100% perfect for me to like it.

Final pictures not installed, I primed it with Duplicolor sandable, then painted it in Harley-Davidson texture flat black

This is simply a mock-up, once I re-arrange the gauges in my car I'll fully install it and I'll be adding pictures of my all blacked out interior.

The only other thing I need to do is paint the vents themselves gloss black just to make both colors pop and make some kind of border for around the hazard switch so there's no gap at all. I'll be adding final pictures once my interior is together

If this was for sale, would you buy it or would people prefer a smaller aftermarket clock where I have my switches instead? Oem clock won't fit. Feel free to leave comments

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Apr 1, 2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks awesome Pat!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks really good
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

How much? Does he make anymore? What's the switches for? Could it just be flat or maybe three clock there?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to be making another one when I have time where the switch pannel will pay down slightly more with the edges rounded off a bit more and I want one done that utilizes a clock where the switches are.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tdt1805
How much? Does he make anymore? What's the switches for? Could it just be flat or maybe three clock there?
One switch controls extra HID spot lights I've added. These little super spots work damn well for country cruising. The other controls my gauges from white to amber, again it makes a world of difference if I'm out in the country, the white is blinding.

Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

I will test out the clock one for ya or ill be the first one to buy one man. Definitely would love to put them there and they would look awesome. Just a thought maybe take out the driver side vent and leave the passenger side one? Let me know cause I defwant. lol
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tdt1805
I will test out the clock one for ya or ill be the first one to buy one man. Definitely would love to put them there and they would look awesome. Just a thought maybe take out the driver side vent and leave the passenger side one? Let me know cause I defwant. lol
That's possible as well, it won't take much to switch sides but I figure the passenger has one vent and I blocked off the side vent under the dash that isn't being used so the passenger will be warm or cold either way. As for a clock version, I'll have to find the right clock that I approve of and see how it looks. You can have anything you want if the price is right. There aren't too many cool gauge option for us Evo owners.

Preferably I'd like stick to this setup to get the ball rolling, then anything's possible. To have these mass produced my a high quality USA company, having the cast alone will run me about $2500 up front so I'd have to sell 100 of these fairly quickly unless it's one here and there, then we could make them to order..

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Apr 1, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:37 AM

Dang Mr. TFresh another great gauge pod Thanks for the ashtray one I love it great job
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RichieVegasIX
Dang Mr. TFresh another great gauge pod Thanks for the ashtray one I love it great job
Good guy you speak of very talented, I'm taking one of those myself, problem is it takes him a while sitting at the printer while working full time and a lady to treat. I'm hoping we can have both mass produced if there's enough interest in both.

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Apr 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:31 AM

Thats tight
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

props for the ambition!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

I just talked to Tim, he tweaked his printer to make the hazard switch fit more flush with no gap, he's printing me another piece either Wednesday or Thursday. I'm going to install this in my car soon and take pictures of it all together

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Apr 1, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
would look a lot cleaner i think if the gauges were set back so the top was near flush with the curve and the bottom of the gauge was inset an inch or two (or however much)
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

^That's tough to do since there isn't much room to work with behind the center of the vent.

Quick Reply: My ultimate custom gauge pod by Tfresh (ash tray pod) prepped sanded+painted by me