Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

New Pictures. Learning photography

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Pictures. Learning photography

A few of my friends has been telling me that I should do photography to earn extra cash since they tell me I take good pictures as a hobby or when we are in car meets and such. Keep in mind that I only have a small point and shoot camera. But even then, my friends are still impressed by my shots.

Every time I visit my sister in LA, I always drive the mountain pass called Little Tujunga Canyon.

One day, I was about to leave and drive to the mountain with the GoPro, my Bro-in-law told me to grab his camera on the living room table with all the lenses scattered on the table. I said, "Nah, its ok. I'm just planning to run the mountain quick and no plans to stop." He said, "I suggest you take it and just give it a try." So I took it.

By the time I got up the mountain, I looked at the camera and told myself, "Hey, why not give this thing a try?" This Camera made my 10 megapixel point and shoot camera look like SH!7!

Here's the result
Attachment 331834

It usually take me about 15 min to edit a shot from my camera, but my bro-inlaw's camera, a minute and a half.

He then told me, "Go ahead and borrow it until you get tired of it." I went home to Vegas and now, I'm addicted
New Pictures. Learning photography-c8yslog.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-v3ylabm.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-rlf28iy.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-ysu86tz.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-spidvon.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-szg6iwh.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-ejja8vl.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-gutelgl.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-qciv4ps.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-rrfpotv.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-udpzdjj.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-iekoanw.jpg

New Pictures. Learning photography-knv1gl5.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm still trying to learn the camera. I know there's so much more I can do and learn about the DSLR cameras. But so far, I think I'm doing ok.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Nice shots OP! Man, do I miss Vegas- it's been so long since I last visited.

I wish the one with the Las Vegas sign in the background had the headlights on or parking lights, or something...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
Nice shots OP! Man, do I miss Vegas- it's been so long since I last visited.

I wish the one with the Las Vegas sign in the background had the headlights on or parking lights, or something...
The closest light is at the end of the parking area where if I park there, the Las Vegas Sign will be too far for it to be visible
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen trees in Vegas. By my house at least. LOL
Looks good bro!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

i like that last one on top of the parking garage, that skyline and traiffic in motion sets it off, nice pics
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

first shot is amazing!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by J!n K@z@mA
The closest light is at the end of the parking area where if I park there, the Las Vegas Sign will be too far for it to be visible
Parking lights on, on the car is what I meant... I was talking about the parking lights emitting from the car.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:20 PM

very nice shots, that first shot is my favorite one
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every ones probably going to think Im a dick lol, but focus less on putting your own name/logo on the photos like a professional and focus on learning first.

Read a lot, anywhere you can on technique. Learn to look beyond the subject and watch your background always. A terrible background can ruin a photo. Example, a sign on the road appearing to stick out of the roof or hood of a car. Avoid distractions as much as possible. Keep it clean and simple. Example, I cropped one of your photos just as an example to show you that clean and simple is better than wide and cluttered.

This is a much more focused shot. I personally probably would have kept the light as uninvolved as possible, but it is a cool effect and not totally distracting. So it can be useful for dramatic effect. But, see how much more simple this shot is now cropped without any of the unnecessary stuff on the side?
Attached Thumbnails New Pictures. Learning photography-udpzdjj.jpg  
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Every ones probably going to think Im a dick lol, but focus less on putting your own name/logo on the photos like a professional and focus on learning first.

Read a lot, anywhere you can on technique. Learn to look beyond the subject and watch your background always. A terrible background can ruin a photo. Example, a sign on the road appearing to stick out of the roof or hood of a car. Avoid distractions as much as possible. Keep it clean and simple. Example, I cropped one of your photos just as an example to show you that clean and simple is better than wide and cluttered.

This is a much more focused shot. I personally probably would have kept the light as uninvolved as possible, but it is a cool effect and not totally distracting. So it can be useful for dramatic effect. But, see how much more simple this shot is now cropped without any of the unnecessary stuff on the side?
I agree and will keep this in mind.

Looking at the cropped picture, to me, it focuses too much on the car than the overall picture. I was actually trying to include the aircraft to understand where is the location not looking at a "soda straw."
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Great shots, I actually got started in high school taking pictures of my first car, fast forward 10+ years and now I own a photography company. Glad you found a passion! Keep with it!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by J!n K@z@mA
I agree and will keep this in mind.

Looking at the cropped picture, to me, it focuses too much on the car than the overall picture. I was actually trying to include the aircraft to understand where is the location not looking at a "soda straw."

I gotcha. Im gonna be honest here, I see it now, but, I had NO idea that was the tail section of a plane. I looked at it like 10 times too trying to see what it was, but it just didnt click. Its too obscure and not enough of the plane for it to be "part" of the photo. Kinda looks like it was there by accident since its just the back end of it and really a lot of it is obscured by the gates. If you want the plane to be a focal point along the car, try to work it in a little better. Plenty of good shots. Just work on your focal points and angles and youll be on your way to some solid stuff.