Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Carbon Fiber trunk with oem spoiler question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbon Fiber trunk with oem spoiler question

So I'm looking to get a carbon fiber trunk then reinstall the oem spoiler onto my evo ix. I've been looking into it and the only links I can find are for Hondas and such so my question is if I have the cf trunk (vis or seibon) is it strong enough to handle the spoiler's forces, or does it need to be braced. I know it can be done because I've seen plenty like that but just no info on how.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:54 AM

My current setup is a Seibon CF trunk (Non Dry) with a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX wing on it. Drilled the holes and mounted it myself. Went 130MPH +/- 5MPH a handfull of times with this combination with no problems at all. Wind speeds were unknown. Hope this helps
Old Aug 26, 2013, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CN9Adaiski
My current setup is a Seibon CF trunk (Non Dry) with a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX wing on it. Drilled the holes and mounted it myself. Went 130MPH +/- 5MPH a handfull of times with this combination with no problems at all. Wind speeds were unknown. Hope this helps
Yeah actually exactly what I'm looking for. Couple questions if you don't mind answering. First how long have you had the current setup? 2 and noticeable cracks or oddball deformations in trunk? N 3rd anything special u did when mounting such as oversized washers? I'd imagine it would work cuz the car has a stock spoiler but I just wanna make sure from other people's experience before I drop a good chunk of change only to have it destroyed.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by jason42003
Yeah actually exactly what I'm looking for. Couple questions if you don't mind answering. First how long have you had the current setup? 2 and noticeable cracks or oddball deformations in trunk? N 3rd anything special u did when mounting such as oversized washers? I'd imagine it would work cuz the car has a stock spoiler but I just wanna make sure from other people's experience before I drop a good chunk of change only to have it destroyed.
Ive had this setup for three years now

I have no cracks or deformations in my trunk for the entire time Ive owned it.
The clearcoat is going and thats the only problem I have with this trunk at the moment. Other than the fact that is has no keyhole..... You need to drill very slowly cause the CF will crack once you start drilling. Drill too fast and youll have a huge spiderweb crack on your trunk.

I made a custom template based off my wing to help me decide where to drill the mounting holes. Ive used larger washers just cause it was in my garage and I wanted to use washers. Also bought a gasket maker kit from Napa that sits between the wing and the trunk to keep water out. Used silicone caulking around the holes for an even better watertight seal. Turned out great. And the caulking can be peeled off if needed so thats why I used it.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Alright thanks a lot, that's basically everything I needed to know. And I'm not too worried about the clearcoat, gonna have the trunk painted tb to match. I'd like to keep it clean just have the benefit of lighter carbon fiber.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by jason42003
Alright thanks a lot, that's basically everything I needed to know. And I'm not too worried about the clearcoat, gonna have the trunk painted tb to match. I'd like to keep it clean just have the benefit of lighter carbon fiber.
No prob and good luck. Good decision as Im getting mine color matched as well instead recleared.