Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Custom Evo 8/9 Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013 | 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Count chocula
I've been waiting to do this mod for years. Yours looks great. More pics would be great and possibly with a ruler for reference to see the depth along the grill opening.

Disregard: I thought you only used an 8 front bumper.
Perhaps you would like to explain the subtle but important differences between what I did and an Evo 8 nose chop to the peanut gallery.

With the amount of people who say it looks like a nose chop, I am about this far away from buying a Faux-rrari and trying to sell it as the real thing on the forums. I am guessing more than a few won't be able to tell the difference
Old Sep 6, 2013 | 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

LOL, OK the difference is this.
Evo IX has a thinner center section fro the start if the front to the end if the back as where the Evo VIII has a larger center to accommodate the Large Pyramid where the diamonds sit. The Evo IX has a floating mitsu logo. He combined the IX for a cleaner look to use the Evo IX grill as where the 8 is larger and also has holes behind the large pyramid.
Old Sep 6, 2013 | 10:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BEISSEN
LOL, OK the difference is this.
Evo IX has a thinner center section fro the start if the front to the end if the back as where the Evo VIII has a larger center to accommodate the Large Pyramid where the diamonds sit. The Evo IX has a floating mitsu logo. He combined the IX for a cleaner look to use the Evo IX grill as where the 8 is larger and also has holes behind the large pyramid.
Thank you, thank you. I will not try and sell you a Fiero and pass it off as a Ferrari
Old Sep 7, 2013 | 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Except, the lip on the Evo 8 nose chop is about 1.5" too wide and can't fit the Evo 9 grill.
Not entirely true, I have a nose chop and the 9 grill

Looks good though.
Old Sep 7, 2013 | 06:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by XSilverJ
Not entirely true, I have a nose chop and the 9 grill

Looks good though.
How did you attach it? Because it wouldn't go on like an OEM piece.
Old Sep 7, 2013 | 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

still looks like a nose chop. say it however you want

i will even say that 99.99% of the people who sees ur car will say nose chop.

dont know who's cars but borrowing pics from google.

Last edited by sujinX; Sep 7, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2013 | 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sujinX
still looks like a nose chop. say it however you want

i will even say that 99.99% of the people who sees ur car will say nose chop.
Hey, just because you can't tell the difference isn't my fault. Instead of searching the web for nose chops, how about you find a picture of an Evo 9. I'll even write it out for you in 3 easy steps:

1) Find picture of an Evo 9
2) Inspect the grill of the Evo 9
3) See if you can spot the differences between that and the nose chops you've so admirably posted.

In fact, look REALLY, REALLY hard at the middle of an Evo 9 bumper. Really hard. Then maybe you'll begin to see it. Maybe.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Sep 7, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2013 | 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
How did you attach it? Because it wouldn't go on like an OEM piece.
If the 8 bumper has a 1.5 inch lip, and the 9 bumper has a 1 inch lip.
It is possible to trim 1/2 inch from the 8 bumper from 1.5 to 1.0 inches. The IX grill should fit with no problems then...... Yes / No ?

It looks good, but it merits such a small difference (1/2 inch) to make it worth it to hack up 2 bumpers. (IMO) I'd rather just do a Nosechop 8 bumper the right way, and save the IX bumpers life (and however much a IX bumper costs nowadays).
Old Sep 9, 2013 | 08:41 PM

Very subtle difference between the two, I understand the look you were going for and it does look oem! You nailed it!
I chopped my bumper and made a grille for the top using an extra bottom grille. I thought the proportions were a little off until I got my carbon lip.
Old Sep 9, 2013 | 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by h22gordo
If the 8 bumper has a 1.5 inch lip, and the 9 bumper has a 1 inch lip.
It is possible to trim 1/2 inch from the 8 bumper from 1.5 to 1.0 inches. The IX grill should fit with no problems then...... Yes / No ?

It looks good, but it merits such a small difference (1/2 inch) to make it worth it to hack up 2 bumpers. (IMO) I'd rather just do a Nosechop 8 bumper the right way, and save the IX bumpers life (and however much a IX bumper costs nowadays).
I haven't actually measured it, that's a guesstimate. Bottom line, I think the nose chop looks like a hack mod. It's fine if people like it, but the proportions are all off. I have always thought the perfect bumper would be an Evo 8 bottom with an Evo 9 top. So that's what I did. And as far as I know, no one else has done this.

If people want to argue with me and say it looks like a traditional Evo 8 nose chop, then that's fine. But I don't agree. There is a lot of poor design in the automotive field, especially in the aftermarket. Maybe people have been exposed to too much of it and its affecting their perspective. Who knows. But I feel the Evo 9 nose and 8 bottom looks OEM and the nose chop doesn't.

When I look at nose chops I shake my head and think "Hate it." If someone likes it, more power to them. And I paid $50 for a damaged Evo 9 bumper. So, it's not like I cut up a perfectly good one.
Old Sep 10, 2013 | 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

I like what you've done so the grill fits. My buddy has a nose chop and it looks great but needs a grill in there. The 8 grill doesnt fit right now and the 9 doesnt line up at all. Looks like he will have to make a custom one and he is going to run the Mitsu emblem on it too. Should look pretty OEM.

Not sure why you say a nose chop looks like a hack job... Most Ive seen look great.

In all honesty, I bet if you parked your car next to a car with a nose chopped 8 bumper, no one would notice the difference. Its the small details that count and your grill fitting like it should is an awesome small detail.
Old Sep 10, 2013 | 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mistaken
Not sure why you say a nose chop looks like a hack job... Most Ive seen look great.
I just think it doesn't look OEM. And that bothers me.

Plus, my background is in design, so I am über-**** about details others might think are inconsequential. In my mind, the small details make a huge difference. So, if others think it's only a small difference, then that is fine. But to me it's all the difference in the world.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Sep 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2013 | 11:08 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

Looks great to me!
Old Sep 10, 2013 | 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I think it looks great also. Had to check pics side by side but you can def tell this looks way cleaner.

Well it would have to obviously as it's OEM (Sort Of)

Great work by your body guy and great idea
Old Sep 10, 2013 | 11:40 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Oh hotness. Imagine with the do-luck lip and Rexpeed vents. Oh Em Gee.

Quick Reply: Custom Evo 8/9 Front Bumper