Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Auto X Video

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto X Video

I'm still learning how to drive and make a nice video. All done by my self. Self-taught.

I hope you guys like it. Constructive criticism are welcome, I'm always willing to learn.

Watch it on 1080P!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYGIn...ature=youtu.be
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
sick video, thats also where EDC vegas is, haha
Old Oct 11, 2013, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dope video, wish there were more auox related things on here. that e brake pulling really help you rotate any better though?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:26 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Why are you pulling the handbrake? Are the other drivers in your region using handbrake and downshifting in the corners? Reason I'm asking because I have never witness anyone do that at autox.

Also, all the crazy shooting angles are great, but hard to see what you're doing as a driver. Mount the camera inside behind the driver.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

nice video lol the bobble head!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

nice vid.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jsayers
dope video, wish there were more auox related things on here. that e brake pulling really help you rotate any better though?
I only pull the e-brake if its a 140-180 degree hairpin turn especially if it is really tight. If the timing is right and the right amount of throttle, I can make the car rotate just the right amount and power burst at the exit thus making my turn sharper and faster.

Originally Posted by chu
Why are you pulling the handbrake? Are the other drivers in your region using handbrake and downshifting in the corners? Reason I'm asking because I have never witness anyone do that at autox.

Also, all the crazy shooting angles are great, but hard to see what you're doing as a driver. Mount the camera inside behind the driver.

Just my 2 cents.
I have a friend that was coached by Von Gittin JR.

He drives a STI and he is one of the fastest locally. He also competes national time attack, road course or autocross and he is usually the rank 1st on raw score of the day. I learn a lot from him and we are the only AWD cars during Autocross that pull the e-brake on tight hairpin turns. Think about it, Evos and Imprezas have bad turning radius and rally drivers pull their e-brake on really tight hairpins to squeeze every bit of time.

Another friend of mine have different view on this. He believes that grip driving is optimal and i believe that different corners (depending on radius) require to drift the car a little bit will pull better times. At the end of the day our time difference is very minimal.

I think combining grip driving and drift(fast not the flashy ones) are faster than grip driving alone. This is how I can make the car fast and my driving style. Others may have a different opinion but they have their own driving style.

As far as downshifting, the track that day has a lot of high speed and low speed turns and if you keep the car in 2nd gear, you will fall off the boost around 3000rpm. And for the camera angles, the video will be boring if everyone only see is me turning the steering wheel and not get the overall picture of the course on different vantage points. And I only downshifted twice. If the only thing you see is me turning the steering wheel, then what's the point of making the video? It should be fun to watch right?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For entertainment value, all the angles are great! If you want serious driver feed back, you need a good camera angle that shows the course and your hands at the same time (or two cameras sync'd). Just watching the back facing shot from the driver side front bumper, you are late on turn in and off the cones.

I'm in the no-ebrake camp. Only time I use it in autox is during a Pro Solo launch when the car would roll. I bet you can setup that corner better, not slow as much, and come out the other side under power with a faster exit speed. Hard to tell without a good camera angle, though.

All that said, nice work and I hope you keep at it! Try some different driving techniques and see what rewards the best time.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:43 AM
chu
Evolved Member

^I'm with this guy...
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by psushoe
For entertainment value, all the angles are great! If you want serious driver feed back, you need a good camera angle that shows the course and your hands at the same time (or two cameras sync'd). Just watching the back facing shot from the driver side front bumper, you are late on turn in and off the cones.

I'm in the no-ebrake camp. Only time I use it in autox is during a Pro Solo launch when the car would roll. I bet you can setup that corner better, not slow as much, and come out the other side under power with a faster exit speed. Hard to tell without a good camera angle, though.

All that said, nice work and I hope you keep at it! Try some different driving techniques and see what rewards the best time.
Right. Like I said I'm still learning and willing to try new things. Seat time is where we learn skills right.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:15 PM

Also pulling the e brake can't be good for our transfer case
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Also pulling the e brake can't be good for our transfer case
Why is that?

As far as I know, when the e-brake is pulled, The ACD senses it and disengages the rear wheels to the front wheels so the front wheels are free to rotate.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:29 AM

well not all have acd. and to think our drivetrain is sensitive enough to need tires to be same size, tread and wear, imagine what one e brake pull must do. im sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

well not all have acd. and to think our drivetrain is sensitive enough to need tires to be same size, tread and wear, imagine what one e brake pull must do. im sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this.