Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Drop-In Hood Vent Cover for those rainy days

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang this thread has gotten more attention than I expected haha. Just to be clear, I didn't see Collin's and then decide to make one. I know it may seem that way and you can think whatever you'd like, but I had wanted to do it the way I did for a while, then at the time when I saw Collin's, I had yet to finish mine. My buddy Jared had been talking about making one, so with help from my friend in Ohio who cut it on a waterjet table and my other buddy who welded it while I was in NC, this is the end result.

I honestly feel like they are two different types of parts, with mine being designed completely around quick removal/temporary installation. I realize yours can be removed in a few minutes Collin, but then you have to put the other grill back in and it's more work than Id like to do in the middle of a downpour. It often rains abruptly in North Carolina and my idea was just to combat that.

I think the Toxic Fab unit looks cleaner overall and Aluminum is a better material option no doubt.

If mine wasn't studded, AL would have been my choice of material however, if I was bolting the cover in it would have been a direct rip off of Collin's and I had no intention of doing that.

I am a big fan of your work Collin and have spoken with you numerous times about your new radiators that are coming as well as some other things so please don't get the wrong idea here.
Thanks errrbody
Old Oct 18, 2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like it... I often park my car for several days when I go out of town for work. This would be great to keep snow/rain/dust/etc out while I'm parked. Definitely wouldn't run it down the road for heat issues though...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:11 AM

EVO 5 Hood

I know this thread is old but I've been looking everywhere for this! I have a 2002 Lancer and it has an EVO 4 or 5 Hood and one day it rained and the car shorted out! Thankfully the next day when it dried up the car worked and started fine. But I really want to prevent this from happening again, but i dont want to change the hood. Drop In rain covers is the perfect idea. I love the photos but I really want to know how they are made so i can make them! Please give me a step by step or something for me to work with. Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

These covers were made by scanning the oem hood vent and then having the file waterjet cut.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn you beat me to this, I had one of these made last summer but didn't get a chance to upload pics. Very nice nonetheless.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by projektevo9
Damn you beat me to this, I had one of these made last summer but didn't get a chance to upload pics. Very nice nonetheless.
haha yeah I couldnt believe no one had made one yet as I feel the need for one is somewhat high if you live anywhere that isnt southern california/nevada/arizona haha.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by alex_s817
These covers were made by scanning the oem hood vent and then having the file waterjet cut.
Earlier u said it was made of 304 stainless. But what is around the outside of it? Rubber?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

It's powdercoated wrinkle black if that's what you mean? If not that, the rubber you are seeing is the oem vent grill. This piece is the exact same size as the mesh portion of the oem vent, it just drops in place in top of the grill, between the rubber.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by carlos.araojo
Earlier u said it was made of 304 stainless. But what is around the outside of it? Rubber?

Here is a crazy idea, do the foot work to produce the part you want. Take measurements or pay someone who can. Then source a jet or laser company to cut them for you. Most charge 125$-150$ minimum plus material.

The Evo with the twin titanium dump tubes is my personal car, I made mine out of 6061 aluminum. I wouldn't reccomend a sheet of stainless...

Collin
Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Twin ti dumps. Sigh. I remember asking someone about that?! :P
Old Feb 4, 2014, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
this is neat, i think i am gonna work something out like this.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

I've got a few sitting around if you'd like one? They aren't powdercoated yet but lmk
Old Feb 9, 2014, 08:09 AM

Bro that's such an amazing idea. I have a buddy with an 03' Evo and he has water spurting out his engine bay through the grill when/after it rains. How did you make that? We live in MN so it snows a lotttt. I'd love to make something similar to this for temporary use like you do.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

These were all waterjet cut. Shoot me a pm if interested and I can tell you more 👍
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:25 AM

Just saw this and honestly I don't have the resources to do it but what about a diffuser to go in place? Made out of aluminum.. That you could open/close and tighten into certain positions? And also could just completely remove