Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Drop-In Hood Vent Cover for those rainy days

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drop-In Hood Vent Cover for those rainy days

A few of my friends like to run their cars with the hood vent removed. I think most prefer it this way actually (especially if you have an aftermarket manifold that's nice to look at), but rain or snow makes everything look nasty pretty fast. So with some help from my friends, I came up with this hood vent cover that drops into place on the factory grill and is secured with wing nuts/washers. I powder coated it wrinkle black to keep it clean. Only thing I think Ill change is adding a couple more studs so that it sits more recessed all the way around when it's tightened. The idea wasn't to run this all the time considering the amount of heat it will be holding in, but for it to look good when it is installed. What do you guys think?

Last edited by alex_s817; Oct 16, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a bad idea!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any temp issues when running it?? Oil, water, exht temps are what I'm curious of.....
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah same on temp curiosity I can physically see the heat radiating from the vent so I feel your temps have to increase. Whats It made out of
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Don't mean to be a hater, but do you drive the car with that on? You mention that your car is running hotter with it on...That's why the Mitsubishi Engineers made that outlet. I leave my original vented aluminium (RALLIART) grill in my trunk, so if it should rain, or snow, it takes me a minute to put it back on and it doesn't change the temp. Otherwise, mine is off 24/7. My engine and aftermarket exhaust manifold still look great, and yes, I was caught in the rain a few times...

I think that 'plug' you made is a great idea if you park your car outside and think it might rain/snow, then I would put it on, otherwise I think you are making things worse. No one wants extra heat in an Evo. Not only is it power-robbing, but just plain bad news for any car. If Evo Rally cars can run in snow and any kind of bad weather with the original aluminium grill on or off, that's good enough for me, lol. Good luck and watch your temp. gauge!

Last edited by NJ9MR; Oct 17, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

This is one is made from 304 stainless. While aluminum would have been lighter, this one hardly weighs anything and is more rigid at the same thickness. Steel also allows for a lower profile tig weld around the studs, in turn making it easier for the cover to sit as flat as possible against the grill.

I never said the car was running hotter with it on, this car doesn't even have a drive train in it lol. We have all seen the heat radiating out while sitting at a stop light, which is why I would never want to rip on it or purposely run the car hard with this cover on. Ideally its for when the car is parked (especially for snow) or if Im running around and it rains unexpectedly. There are many factory turbocharged inline 4 cylinders with iron blocks and exhaust manifolds that sit close to the radiator that do not have hood vents, so while I think it will run much cooler with the cover off, I hardly doubt it will lead to overheating. I have yet to test it but will soon. The weather will likely never damage your manifold, but I personally cannot stand watermarks that burn into the runners and require constant up keep to keep them looking fresh, not to mention rusty bolts/exhaust housings/center cartridges.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nj... No reason to hate... Its clever... I've never had a problem with rain and havent had a baffle for 6 years now... Also i couldnt imagine why your car would run hotter with that plate... It doesnt suddenly seal the engine compartment... It certainly wouldnt increase coolant temps... Maybe inlet temps but idk since its already raining in this scenario... Anyway its clever and i like the thought of making custom parts so good job... Not many people think outside the box these days...

I reread and i get the impression this is more to keep from detailing the bay so often... Yes? We were typing at the same time apparently... Nevermind

My question is why drop all the money into your car to stiffen the chassis nj9mr and then add a front sway bar that reduces turn in?

Last edited by joseph143; Oct 16, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
Nj... No reason to hate... Its clever... I've never had a problem with rain and havent had a baffle for 6 years now... Also i couldnt imagine why your car would run hotter with that plate... It doesnt suddenly seal the engine compartment... It certainly wouldnt increase coolant temps... Maybe inlet temps but idk since its already raining in this scenario... Anyway its clever and i like the thought of making custom parts so good job... Not many people think outside the box these days...

I reread and i get the impression this is more to keep from detailing the bay so often... Yes? We were typing at the same time apparently... Nevermind

My question is why drop all the money into your car to stiffen the chassis nj9mr and then add a front sway bar that reduces turn in?
ha yes I didnt see your response until after mine either. Thanks though, I appreciate it. Yes mainly just to keep the bay clean and avoid constant upkeep. I know not everyone cares that much about the appearance under the hood, so it may not appeal to everyone.

I had been wanting to make one for a while and then I saw Collin from Toxic Fab beat me to it, however his requires removal of the factory grill and it bolts in its place. Looks really good but is more of a long-term install rather than just popping it on. I know his car makes a good bit of power and I don't think its had any overheating issues.

Also, what's surprising about the oem hood grill is that the "honeycomb" spacing is the exact same on every one. I've set this vent on like 6 different hoods and the studs fit perfect every time.

Last edited by alex_s817; Oct 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex_s817
ha yes I didnt see your response until after mine either. Thanks though, I appreciate it. Yes mainly just to keep the bay clean and avoid constant upkeep. I know not everyone cares that much about the appearance under the hood, so it may not appeal to everyone.

I had been wanting to make one for a while and then I saw Collin from Toxic Fab beat me to it, however his requires removal of the factory grill and it bolts in its place. Looks really good but is more of a long-term install rather than just popping it on. I know his car makes a good bit of power and I don't think its had any overheating issues.

Also, what's surprising about the oem hood grill is that the "honeycomb" spacing is the exact same on every one. I've set this vent on like 6 different hoods and the studs fit perfect every time.
Takes about 5mins to install/take mine off. Also, not once have I had a issue with over heating even on my Toxicfab half size rad, and Texas heat. Mine is made of 6061 aluminum, while I believe yours is stainless.. Pretty sure stainless will get a lot hotter and stay hotter much longer then Aluminum, not to mention double the weight savings.

To those of you concerned with heating issues, go talk to the daily driven 1000+HP GTR's with no monster hood opening. As well as many other cars that make more power, and go faster then any Evo I know of.

Collin.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 06:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After trying to do a transmission job in my driveway through this hurricane, il buy one right now!

let me know

- Treats
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Huh?

Originally Posted by joseph143

First off, did you read the very first sentence I wrote? I am NOT hating...I don't want my post to be an issue on the OP's thread. I also didn't know his car was a roller/no drive train. I DO think it's a good idea, and heck, I'd probably buy one if he decides to make them. I won't put it on my car when ever I drive it, but for sitting around, sure! I also respect people who think out of the box!

Lastly, I guess you and I come from different 'schools of thought'. AGAIN, I AM NOT HATING...Just giving my opinion. Yes, I added all those support braces, roll cage and now both sway bars. I didn't mention yet, but I also have coil overs to go on and I am changing every chassis bushing to the polyurethane ones. The car as it stands now, handles amazingly! My fellow club guys that follow me through turns, etc. tell me that they never see my brake lights go on! Lol. "She corners like she's on rails"! With the sway bars put on recently, the suspension is more 'level' to me. I am TOTALLY satisfied with the results! I can't wait to add the above mentioned other parts over Winter. Peace!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ToxicFab
Takes about 5mins to install/take mine off. Also, not once have I had a issue with over heating even on my Toxicfab half size rad, and Texas heat. Mine is made of 6061 aluminum, while I believe yours is stainless.. Pretty sure stainless will get a lot hotter and stay hotter much longer then Aluminum, not to mention double the weight savings.

To those of you concerned with heating issues, go talk to the daily driven 1000+HP GTR's with no monster hood opening. As well as many other cars that make more power, and go faster then any Evo I know of.

Collin.
I guess Mitsu just put the vent in the hood for decoration...

I had a 2g GSX many years ago. It had an FMIC. Car would overheat. Louvers in the OEM hood solved the problem (this was before we even had Evos in the U.S. w/their decorative hood vents).
Old Oct 17, 2013, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6

I had a 2g GSX many years ago. It had an FMIC. Car would overheat. Louvers in the OEM hood solved the problem (this was before we even had Evos in the U.S. w/their decorative hood vents).
Never said the factory vent was "decorative" or not functional. Simply said even a high HP Evo with a half sized rad, 4" thick front mount, has no issues.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToxicFab
Never said the factory vent was "decorative" or not functional. Simply said even a high HP Evo with a half sized rad, 4" thick front mount, has no issues.
that is something that irks me... people assume a half rad causes issues with cooling... in fact i mentioned a few hours ago that my car detonated and my temp gauge sky rocketed for a brief moment... my friend immediately blamed my half rad... WTF if it hadn't cooled off yep... sure... but it did... 700hp... civic radiator... and on the highway my coolant temps are to low 170*... ****ing crazy... also in texas btw... (steps off soap box)

sorry it just gets to me...

Originally Posted by kpt6

i do honestly believe the vent is decorative.... i see the smart *** comment and i raise you.... EVERY OTHER 4G63T, EVO 10, sonata's, genesis T, srt-4s, AND the fact the wrc rally car is a lancer... without a hood vent...

i await your smart *** reply...

^^^ i just read collins first comment... so much better then mine... I'm beginning to wonder why pick a fight if you know you are already out gunned?

also OP... after learning collin did a lighter version before you... i have to retract some of my previous accolades... but its still nice..

Last edited by joseph143; Oct 18, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

I think this is a really good idea to minimize rust. Snow and rain is no match for heat coming from the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Drop-In Hood Vent Cover for those rainy days