Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

keeping water out of engine bay dyring car wash?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013 | 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

I dont see why this concept is so ****ing hard to grasp. I have 2 cars. My evo sits in the garage and I drive my other car to work and back. I never drive the evo in rain or bad weather, my engine bay is spotless and that's how I like it. You enjoy your dirty car, I take detailing seriously and that's my choice. I'm simply looking for innovative ideas on how to keep water out other than what I've tried. Go troll somewhere else
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

... Neverwet...done
http://www.neverwet.com/
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

On a serious note, one thing I've thought of doing but haven't tried yet is zipping the nuts off the mesh in the hood, wrapping a trashbag around the outside and tucking it under the underside and piercing the studs through it, putting it back on the car and you should have a damn near sealed system on the vent. This is probably the route I will take with my next wash. My 1/4" electric impact will make quick work of the swap
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

And then just place a towel on the VC assuming the uncoated tubular manifold is cool and that will get any small drips that get through. Nothing is perfect obviously, but will be much better than a gaping hole in the hood currently
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Jesus guy asks a simple question and you guys start an argument for no reason?!

On topic, maybe try taking the hood vent out, wrap it in a garbage bag, and then re-install it?

Edit: Oh wow you took the words right out of my mouth

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
On a serious note, one thing I've thought of doing but haven't tried yet is zipping the nuts off the mesh in the hood, wrapping a trashbag around the outside and tucking it under the underside and piercing the studs through it, putting it back on the car and you should have a damn near sealed system on the vent. This is probably the route I will take with my next wash. My 1/4" electric impact will make quick work of the swap
Great minds think alike I guess
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, I'll give that a shot and see if it works, seems like the best solution to the issue
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 03:06 PM

I also never drive in rain or snow/salt. Im pretty **** about keeping my car clean as well. All I do is wash down the engine bay every time I wash the car, then take compressed air to it. Then shammy the rest and leave the hood open to let the sun dry the rest. I can eat off my engine bay, but Im sure you could off yours too. I love clean Evos.

And to the people that think its stupid not to drive in snow or rain or whatever, look underneath your car. Probably a rust bucket. I hate rust, thats why I don't drive mine in bad weather. Hell, I only drive mine on weekends from April to October.
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 05:28 PM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Navy

The intake is just one thing I personally cover. I cover the alternator, battery terminals, alternator, fuse box, and any possible wire exposures.

I may be overdoing it but I rather cover anything electric and just wipe it down with spray and wet old microfiber towel to reduce the amount of water that gets deep in.
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

If your washing your car by hand barely any water will get in the engine bay. If it does your doing something wrong. If your using a car wash I feel sorry for you. After you get done drying the car, take a towel and wipe the engine bay with it. Any water that got in there will be soaked up by towel and you'll help keep everything clean. /thread
Old Nov 14, 2013 | 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

{omg}{omg}{omg}{omg}{omg}
Old Nov 15, 2013 | 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have the louver vents in my hood anymore, no matter how you wash the car, water will poor into the hood and all over the VC and manifold... I never thought I would get this much resistance over a simple question on evom... Lol

And like I said I've been doing detailing and paint correction for a few years now, washing the car is done correctly. Here's a few pics to make this thread from ****ty to mediocre

Last edited by ILuvJDM; Nov 15, 2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2013 | 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bonezilla
I also never drive in rain or snow/salt. Im pretty **** about keeping my car clean as well. All I do is wash down the engine bay every time I wash the car, then take compressed air to it. Then shammy the rest and leave the hood open to let the sun dry the rest. I can eat off my engine bay, but Im sure you could off yours too. I love clean Evos.

And to the people that think its stupid not to drive in snow or rain or whatever, look underneath your car. Probably a rust bucket. I hate rust, thats why I don't drive mine in bad weather. Hell, I only drive mine on weekends from April to October.
Sounds like we would get along very well haha. Very few evo owners seem to like having a clean car, they always pull the rallycar card and say it's meant to be driven in the snow and all that jazz. I'd rather have a rust-free car that's super clean, it makes me feel good. I didn't have to clean up the subframe when I lowered it from the car when I did my shep trans and TC, but I did. Nobody will ever see that cleaned up subframe, but it was something I enjoyed doing.
Old Nov 15, 2013 | 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
If your washing your car by hand barely any water will get in the engine bay. If it does your doing something wrong. If your using a car wash I feel sorry for you. After you get done drying the car, take a towel and wipe the engine bay with it. Any water that got in there will be soaked up by towel and you'll help keep everything clean. /thread
See above post, I'm not a rookie to washing vehicles.
Old Nov 15, 2013 | 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I think were just all confused how getting a little water through the hood vent is making anything dirty. If your washing by hand spray the hood off at an angle, barely any water should get in I put opti-coat on the painted surfaces along with rocker cover. Water bounces off it. Works good on rims too.

Old Nov 15, 2013 | 11:14 AM

Staunch looking evo bro, Black is by far the best colour!

Quick Reply: keeping water out of engine bay dyring car wash?