Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

BBS rims, Brake dust problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014 | 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

BBS rims, Brake dust problem

Hi guys

My factory Forged 17" alloy BBS rims have real stubborn brake dust in the crevices that i can't seem to get off.

I've owned the car for several weeks now.

im not sure what had caused it… whether it be, crappy pads, neglect or even used at the track where there are extremely hot brake dust has etched into it.

Basically I've tried spray on acidic wheel cleaners… (helps but as mentioned, theres little bits i can't get off) I've also tried the Karcher and sprayed it under pressure to no avail.

Anyone have the same issue or should i be taking it to a car detailer?

cheers
Old Mar 3, 2014 | 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

The only way to get it all off is by hand (using your finger tips) or like a small mothers powerball/brushes. Cleaners by themselves won't get all the dust off you need to agitate it. If its really etched in there you'll need to polish the hell out of it or refinish the wheel. Our brakes are performance brakes, they do dust quite heavily when used more than just daily driving.
Old Mar 3, 2014 | 12:48 PM

Try using a clay bar to remove troublesome brake dust. Worked for me in the past.
Old Mar 4, 2014 | 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
The only way to get it all off is by hand (using your finger tips) or like a small mothers powerball/brushes. Cleaners by themselves won't get all the dust off you need to agitate it. If its really etched in there you'll need to polish the hell out of it or refinish the wheel. Our brakes are performance brakes, they do dust quite heavily when used more than just daily driving.
Originally Posted by illbill
Try using a clay bar to remove troublesome brake dust. Worked for me in the past.

clay bar aye?

hmm ill look into it

yeah The wheel looks neat but just in each ditch/crevice of the spoke theres a little patch.

the Mag wheel cleaner brush, mild acidic cleaner & karcher has so far failed.

ill try the clay bar or maybe a wheel polish…

other than that ill probably give up.

thanks for the help
Old Mar 6, 2014 | 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wowzers
clay bar aye?

hmm ill look into it

yeah The wheel looks neat but just in each ditch/crevice of the spoke theres a little patch.

the Mag wheel cleaner brush, mild acidic cleaner & karcher has so far failed.

ill try the clay bar or maybe a wheel polish…

other than that ill probably give up.

thanks for the help
Clay is a good thing to use too, I forgot about that. I clay my wheels once a year before winter storage and it pulls everything off. It takes a good amount of time and patience though.
Old Mar 7, 2014 | 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
Clay is a good thing to use too, I forgot about that. I clay my wheels once a year before winter storage and it pulls everything off. It takes a good amount of time and patience though.
Here are the actual wheels of my car… ignore the first pic

what you see in the ditches of the spokes …the dust that is visible… does NOT come off…

they are heavily engraved or embedded in there.

Ill try the clay bar this weekend.

otherwise ill take it to a car detailer, and they would probably use heavy strength acid cleaner (may cause damage),…

if that doesn't work…

ill give up

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Mar 8, 2014 | 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE:

Ok guys, good news.

I've managed to get it off but leaving the wheel cleaner on for a while.

it didn't appear to damage the rims. Heaps of scrubbing with nails (finger hurts now) and took about 2 hours!!!

end result;

Old Mar 9, 2014 | 10:06 AM

Nice work! I would look at a good sealant (like Sonax Polymer Net Shield or Opticoat) to prevent brake dust from bonding so badly again. I did that on my last set of wheels and I can go like a month without washing and still have brake dust pretty much rinse off for the most part. You really need to clean them well before applying it though, Iron X then clay etc.

I've also had good luck with the armor all wheel protectant. Easy to apply and lasts a good couple weeks.
Old Mar 9, 2014 | 12:16 PM

The best way I have found to clean off caked on brake dust is sonax wheel cleaner and wheel woolies. If it doesn't come clean with those two things it ain't coming clean.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...0ml_p_324.html
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Wheel...Kit_p_721.html

Old Mar 10, 2014 | 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

What did you end up using?
Old Mar 10, 2014 | 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Nice work! I would look at a good sealant (like Sonax Polymer Net Shield or Opticoat) to prevent brake dust from bonding so badly again. I did that on my last set of wheels and I can go like a month without washing and still have brake dust pretty much rinse off for the most part. You really need to clean them well before applying it though, Iron X then clay etc.

Thanks for the compliment.

ill look into it, in Aust we are very limited in product in comparison to the USA.

I've also had good luck with the armor all wheel protectant. Easy to apply and lasts a good couple weeks.
Armorall?, hmm usually that brand is cheap and nasty.
i won't disregard it though.

Originally Posted by BrotherMayhem
The best way I have found to clean off caked on brake dust is sonax wheel cleaner and wheel woolies. If it doesn't come clean with those two things it ain't coming clean.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...0ml_p_324.html
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Wheel...Kit_p_721.html

Wheel Woolies and Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner Perfect Together - YouTube
Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD
What did you end up using?

I ended up using a brand (have you heard?) Macguires non-acidic Wheel cleaner.
Old Mar 10, 2014 | 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Nice work, looks great now!
Old Mar 10, 2014 | 04:36 PM

really looks much better. nicely done!
Old Mar 15, 2014 | 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

yeah its been one week and I've driven it three times since the wheel wash in the pictures above. driven 180km (111Miles)

and i had noticed that theres some stubborn parts that are potentially building up AGAIN.

i thought that the car had been to track days and high temp brake dust caused it.

well i notice its still appearing at the corners again… and the areas do feel rough.

Im wondering does Slotted discs cause more aggressive brake dust?

either that or the clear coat might be on its way out.

i was thinking of doing what these guys are showing in the tutorial…. (except for the sanding & colour…. just a clear coat over the rim)

Last edited by wowzers; Mar 15, 2014 at 04:36 AM.