Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Paint on Brembo destroyed on one calliper

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint on Brembo destroyed on one calliper

Hi guys,

I've posted in the other forum regarding real die-hard & stubborn brake dust that basically cling on to my rims for dear life. (the rims were like this from day 1 recently, possibly due to high heat, track abuse, crappy pads, slotted disc rotors or combination of ALL).

this is the crap that i couldn't get off;

However, with heaps of elbow and finger grease and hours of scrubbing and leaving strong acidic wheel cleaner on… i nailed it;

BUT (always a "BUT")

im not sure if this was caused last time by myself with the wheel cleaner from this morning or it was always like this and i hadn't noticed;

SO now the paints stuffed on one calliper ONLY…

any ideas? is there any quick red or even clear coat paint to resolve this?

i don't think id go to the extent of repainting the whole calliper… maybe just to coat over the damaged area. obviously it won't be as uniform as painting the whole thing properly. but would look much better than this.

I just checked the price for a new front left hand calliper and it was approx $1,100!!!!! lol

i might check some from the wreckers in the meantime

any input would be great

cheers guys

Last edited by wowzers; Mar 8, 2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My suggestion is to let it go for now. The others will be soon to follow. Clear on the calipers is just a stupid idea.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts
If I were you, I will just let it go. It takes very close observation for anyone other you to notice what happened here. If you insist, you can probably talk to Brembo. They may have a dealer close to you where you can take your calipers there for a quick paint job.

At last, I think the lesson for all of us here is that we need to take off the wheels for cleaning when using strong acidic wheel cleaners.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have used many strong wheel cleaners without taking the wheels off. It has never affected the clear on the calipers. The stock calipers are bound to peel. It's very common on our vehicles and started back in 03.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
I have used many strong wheel cleaners without taking the wheels off. It has never affected the clear on the calipers. The stock calipers are bound to peel. It's very common on our vehicles and started back in 03.
This is what Ive heard as well. The previous owner of my car had the calipers re-cleared, and they are peeling again. The hotter your calipers get, the worse they will peel/fade. My car also has 116k on it, so I cant expect them to stay nice forever.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Did the previous owner have them powder coated or did he prep and paint them himself? That would explain why they are peeling again.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I honestly dont know. They still say Brembo on them, so I imagine he didnt have them completely recoated. They look nicer than similar mile Evos Ive seen around, but they are peeling just like the OPs pictures. As long as they at least stay Red and say Brembo on the side I will be happy.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
My suggestion is to let it go for now. The others will be soon to follow. Clear on the calipers is just a stupid idea.
well Its a shame…

i was hoping for some touch up paint to do a quick fix to at least slightly improve it

Ill see if theres a Brembo locally or if they can provide any suggestions
Old Mar 8, 2014, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bet it is (or was) brake fluid that leaked from the caliper at some point and ate away at teh clear coat. That's common.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Originally Posted by Johnr352
My bet it is (or was) brake fluid that leaked from the caliper at some point and ate away at teh clear coat. That's common.

Thats a good point

too bad i wasn't observant enough to notice the callipers when i bought the car… i was too eager.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 04:03 AM
Evolving Member

Its a common problem for Evo's. I'm sure you can find a local powdercoater who can repair them.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fwd_josh
Its a common problem for Evo's. I'm sure you can find a local powdercoater who can repair them.
I've found some calliper spray for calliper painting.

however, I'm not sure how different the RED is… to the Brembo red.

as i only inclined to spray the patch area.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

People have used high temp clear to make it at least shiney again. You can easily repaint the calipers again. In any high temp color you wish. Or you can get them professionally powdercoated.

Theres a few threads in here showcasing repainted brembos and I think theres a few where people just recleared them. And dont go and buy a brand new caliper for 1100. I believe for 600ish you can send them out to a few vendors in here that can refresh the seals and everything along with powder them in any color you wish for all 4.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 03:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD
People have used high temp clear to make it at least shiney again. You can easily repaint the calipers again. In any high temp color you wish. Or you can get them professionally powdercoated.

Theres a few threads in here showcasing repainted brembos and I think theres a few where people just recleared them. And dont go and buy a brand new caliper for 1100. I believe for 600ish you can send them out to a few vendors in here that can refresh the seals and everything along with powder them in any color you wish for all 4.
Yeah it appears to be just the clear coat that got eaten away

unless theres a clear coat calliper spray.

because i don't think the red would match either.

the brembo red looks more crimson… where as these sprays appear more bright red.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spray some high temp clear over it and it'll look like new.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Quick Reply: Paint on Brembo destroyed on one calliper