Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Painted PU lip Evo8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted PU lip Evo8

After 5 years of making my car look sexy it was time to retire my Rexpeed carbon fiber lip. Mostly due to the clear coat starting to crack and peel. That lip did its duty and held up well, but I wanted to replace it. I looked around for a more durable Polyurethane lip, but most of the companies selling them were currently out of stock, except for one company Ikon Motorsports. They sell the lip on Ebay and Amazon, I bought it off amazon since if there was an issue with the lip they are easier to deal with. Heres the amazon link if anyone is interested, theres still some left:
Amazon.com: 03-05 Mitsubishi Evo 8 VIII Evolution 4 Door Urethane Add-On Front Bumper Lip Spoiler: Automotive Amazon.com: 03-05 Mitsubishi Evo 8 VIII Evolution 4 Door Urethane Add-On Front Bumper Lip Spoiler: Automotive
This lip wasn't the cheapest, but it was money well spent. It cost me $200, $150 for the lip and $50 to ship to Hawaii. It was delivered in about 4 days without any damage and the lip was not warped like I'ver heard others usually are. I had my friend at a body shop paint it for me and I installed it at my house. Fitment is near perfect, I was totally amazed and stoked. Every thing lined up well and it wasn't a tight fit on the bumper like others I have read about. Honestly fitment was better than my Rexpeed carbon lip.
I wanted to share this product with other EvoM members since I know some of you are looking for a new lip, but don't want the carbon fiber lip. Well on to the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Painted PU lip Evo8-lip1.jpg   Painted PU lip Evo8-lip2.jpg   Painted PU lip Evo8-lip3.jpg   Painted PU lip Evo8-lip4.jpg   Painted PU lip Evo8-lip6.jpg  

Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks for the link, it looks great, fitment looks spot on too.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks good.

cute frenchie.... i have one too.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:42 PM

The lip looks great man. I saw your review on amazon and was stoked to finally see a review and a good one too. Ive wanted to buy one eversince my carbon lip shattered but was skeptical on the quality. Either way this was the convincing factor for me. Thanks man
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:47 PM

looks good!, poly tends to warp but you can always just heatgun and re-work the plastic
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thinking about picking this up after reading this review.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Just got this lip in the other day. There are areas on the lip that are wavy and deformed. Looks like it's going back. Really wished this worked out. Seems like a common problem with PU lips.

OP, did the body shop have to correct any deformities like this?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 04:22 PM
au

I think sometimes it's a hit or miss with the PU lips. I just installed my Byrson Varis style PU lip and it fits snug. I choose PU because my car is a DD and the roads here are very bad.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by WannaRace
Just got this lip in the other day. There are areas on the lip that are wavy and deformed. Looks like it's going back. Really wished this worked out. Seems like a common problem with PU lips.

OP, did the body shop have to correct any deformities like this?
My lip was pretty straight, but there was a minor bend in the upper middle part of the lip. I applied a little heat and installed it to keep its form. I've read other posts where PU lips were shipped warped, but they just heated them up to get it straighten.
Sorry to hear yours was wavy and deformed.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 09:48 AM
au

Heat is your friend for those lips.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 03:11 PM

Just recieved mine and it came in about 5 days and in good condition, a little warped on the ends (as expected), but overall im pretty pleased with the lip. Took about 20 mins with a hair dryer to straighten everything out and it looks great. Solid 4 out of 5.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got mine in the mail today. I ordered from Amazon and got in about 3 days. Looking forward to test fitting and painting.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great looking lip, man. Turned out really nicely.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:29 PM

Hey. For anyone who got this lip; what did you do with the flaps underneath? They are too low to really screw into anything, especially if you don't have the under tray. Just leave them hanging? Cut them off?

I agree with the OP though, this lip fits well and had very little, if any warpage. In the process of getting mine painted now.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 06:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer1
Hey. For anyone who got this lip; what did you do with the flaps underneath? They are too low to really screw into anything, especially if you don't have the under tray. Just leave them hanging? Cut them off?

I agree with the OP though, this lip fits well and had very little, if any warpage. In the process of getting mine painted now.
I honestly left mine on underneath. The weight wasn't that much. I guess my only concern is what it might catch on now that you mention it. I don't have an under tray but, I'm definitely looking for one!

My lip also fits very well and plan on painting mine a flat black. Great product for minimal cost!

BMH

Last edited by bluepeartype-s; Feb 18, 2015 at 06:56 AM.