Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Anyone had a new clear coat put on?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2004, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by neonsalamander
Well.. no matter what, the Evo's paint is gonna suck

Why dont you do what I plan on doing and repaint your Evo like an MR (Thunder Grey) in a couple of years after the paint shows its age.
doesnt that lower the resale value?
Old Mar 20, 2004, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

I dont plan on selling my baby any time soon.. or at all !
Old Mar 20, 2004, 04:55 AM

I use to detail cars. Black and red cars will always show the little swirls if you do not buff/wax properly. It's just that these two colors will highlight any "imperfections" more so than others. IE white and silver.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

I got a golf-ball sived dent in my hood from a piece of road debris, kicked up by a Semi- I went ot a local body shop and they said they were going to have to repaint the whole hood just to fix my dent- he said it would be 450. He sd the whole thing would match perfect becuase he wuold re-clearcoat the hood. i told him that my (red) evo didn't have clearcoat. Well he didn't believe me so he got one of the paint guys from the back and he rubbed a little wax on it then wiped it off and sure enough there was pink on the rag. He looked at me puzzled. The paint guy sd he has seen this before. He sd they mix the clearcoat along with the paint and spray once to save time/money..... So I didn't get my hood fixed because he sd it would be shiner than the rest of the car. Looks liek I'll have to get a carbon hood... shucks!
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:27 PM
AMX

OK, end of thread IMO. I just polished and waxed the Evo and only waxed the 300M after a good Cleveland winter and I still can't believe how inferior the Evo clearcoat/paint is to the 300M's! Jeez, the 300M cost less then the Evo and still has a great overall setup with a great motor!? What's UP? Thank God I don't rate the Evo on looks!!
Old Mar 29, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

huhu...but the 300M handles like complete crap, and is barely fast even with the Hemi under the hood.

Most people who own the Evo know that Mitsu put the $$ into the go fast department. If the paint bothers you enough, get it redone.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 04:28 PM
AMX

Good paint applied correctly at the time of manufacture costs little more than poor paint applied poorly. As far as handling and speed, you're right, but the 300M is a vehicle with a different reason for existance. A decent paint job is something the EVO should have had; the car deserves it. Decent paint would not have sacrificed from the cars performance and would not have interfered with anyones "rationalized" cost reduction in support of performance.

Last edited by AMX; Mar 31, 2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

I have been talking to alot of body shop about putting a couple of clear on my white evo. All of them say that putting on a few coats of clear will not look right. I might as well get a whole new paint job. I am going to experiment and shoot my hood with a couple of clear since I have the equipment anyway besides the spray booth. If it comes out good, then I'll do the whole car. If not, then I'll just put on my Vis cf hood.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AMX
Good paint applied correctly at the time of manufacture costs little more than poor paint applied poorly. As far as handling and speed, you're right, but the 300M is a vehicle with a different reason for existance. A decent paint job is something the EVO should have had; the car deserves it. Decent paint would not have sacrificed from the cars performance and would not have interfered with anyones "rationalized" cost reduction in support of performance.
You are probably right for the most part. But the paint job on the Evo is just about on par with every other Mitsu product I have seen. So upping the quality of the paint job would very likely cost money.

And yes, the 300M exists for a completely different reason.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

its not just evos.. nissan is the same..... i sold a black 350z for my evo and its just same swirls... i believe it has to do with a 'softer' paint that they are using because of pollution problems.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by V8Killer
I got a golf-ball sived dent in my hood from a piece of road debris, kicked up by a Semi- I went ot a local body shop and they said they were going to have to repaint the whole hood just to fix my dent- he said it would be 450. He sd the whole thing would match perfect becuase he wuold re-clearcoat the hood. i told him that my (red) evo didn't have clearcoat. Well he didn't believe me so he got one of the paint guys from the back and he rubbed a little wax on it then wiped it off and sure enough there was pink on the rag. He looked at me puzzled. The paint guy sd he has seen this before. He sd they mix the clearcoat along with the paint and spray once to save time/money..... So I didn't get my hood fixed because he sd it would be shiner than the rest of the car. Looks liek I'll have to get a carbon hood... shucks!
Have you tried PDR (Paintless Dent Repair)? I had my Lexus IS300 for about two days when an errant shopping cart smashed my passenger door. I took it to Lexus and the PDR guy, from their body shop, cooked the dents out with a torch from behind. This was no BS dent either, it went across a seem in the door and the dent was oblong and DEEP. The guy had the car for one hour and brought it out perfect!! Mind you, when I went in there I was actually gonna see if I could change the door or what not, but they fixed it for under $100 and less than an hour. Only caveat is that the paint can't be damaged, or it won't work.

Might be work looking into.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI only evo with second step clear process is the Apex Silver. All other colors are one step with clear mixed into paint. Silver has a metalic hue to it and must have the clear sprayed by itself.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BadazzCR
FYI only evo with second step clear process is the Apex Silver. All other colors are one step with clear mixed into paint. Silver has a metalic hue to it and must have the clear sprayed by itself.

a manufacturer is not going to do all paints single stage and then one color 2 step. the black also has the blue hue. it IS the clear. ALL COLORS ARE DONE AS SINGLE STAGE.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by siantjab

Have you tried PDR (Paintless Dent Repair)?
I don't think the PDR guys can work with Aluminum very well. It doesn't pop back into place like steel does....and it fatigues very easily when you try to work with it.

SC~
Old Apr 1, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, the evo paint job just blows man. Im seriously thinking about repainting my EVO when I finished college. It will be 500whp with a badass paint job and a nice body kits. I'm thinking about making my EVO look like the WRC EVO, except with some CF parts. What you guys think? Varis CF lips, canards, and ducks with a paint job similar to the WRC EVO. Rice or clean?

Quick Reply: Anyone had a new clear coat put on?