Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Mr. Clean Auto Dry?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2004 | 12:26 PM

Mr. Clean Auto Dry?!

has anyone heard of the mr clean auto dry system, looks like an easy alternative to the all day wash and dry, i hat drying my car, i never know what to use to dry it without scratching it, have used shammy, but i hear that that removes any wax layers protecting the paint......

pleease help!!!!

J.R.
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 12:32 PM

The guys on Autopia.com, the biggest message board for hardcore car detailers, checked it out and determined that it pretty much sucked. You have to use their soap because it has a version of Jet Dry (The stuff for your dishwasher - also made by P&G) that leaves a residue after running the deionized water over it. Their basic conclusion was that it didn't really work as advertised for the complete drying/sheeting action, the sprayer doesn't have enough power to properly rinse the car, and the system leaves a nasty residue on the paint when you're done. I decided to sip it after all of those bad reviews.
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

i still post on a few of my mustang forums, and one person just did his car with it and it looks pretty good. he says the PUR filter that comes with it gets dirty pretty quickly though and is good for about 4-5 washes before it needs replacing.

the filters arent that expensive to replace i think i remember him saying. even if they are, its only $13 for a whole new unit which is a good price for 4-5 good washes
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I've used it.. Works OK. Problem is you only get like 3 - 6 washes out of the unit as it comes. Then you have to buy extra soap and water 'filter' catridges; it can get expensive. It's still cheaper than getting your car washed and it saves a lot of drying time. I use it when i want a quick wash, during the week and such, but there is still no replacement for a good wash and wax at least once a month IMO.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 12:39 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

I use it on my ES but not on the Evo. For the ES it's great, just hose it down with the soap, work the soap in & dirt off, rinse, then use the extremely weak no-spot rinse. As said previously: It only apparently works well with their car wash soap and the filters only last about 3 washes in my case. The ES only gets washed once a month or so anyway, as opposed to every week with the Evo. The Evo gets the Zaino treatment .
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

i use this water squeege thing i got from target to dry my car it works insain only thing is you have to have the car spotless or your squeegeing dirt across the paint lol
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

MR. Clean autodry is for lazy asses. Plus, it may work in some cases, others it may not. I'm going to stick with normal washing, drying with a california water blade and microfiber, Zaino Polish, and a good waxing .
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 04:47 PM

thanks for the advice guys, keep the comments coming!!

so far it looks like a split decision with the no's being very serious about their opinions, and yes when it comes to washing i am a lazy assssss!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Any good detailer will dry your car. I bought a pack of microfiber towels at Costco and they are so soft and absorb like a sponge. Do not use bath towels since they will scratch and put swirls in your paint.

The tricks I have learned are removing the hose nozzle when rinsing and letting the water sheet off the car so there is less to dry instead of spraying and having tons of water beads. Also, the California water blade works pretty good to get most of the water off and you can follow up with the towel.

I have a soft water system built in my house, so the water does not spot like hard water will. That's also a big advantage.

Use a good car soap, bucket and wash mitt. Get a soft brush for your wheels and get the inner rim also for a detailed look. I use Westley's Bleach White on my tires sidewalls to remove the brown color from road grime. Follow up with a tire shine.
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

This lazy *** used it on his Evo. It worked fine. It does leave some residue stuff. It's especially noticable on your windows which I didn't follow up with my Stoners Invisible Glass. I haven't washed my car in a while so I haven't tried it again yet.
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 05:36 PM

sincityevo, thanks for the detailed info, greatly appreciated , i am new to the do it yourself car wash scene, trying to get syked about spending hours washing and waxing all summer, i do love the look of a freshly waxed ride though

did he say "Stoners" invisible

keep em comin', anymore comments on the autodry?
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Don't do it. You still need a bucket w/ soap to do your tires. After using it twice, I am going to stick w/ the traditional method. It takes the same amount of time if you do the tires and I like to get the insides of the trunk, doors, and hood dry so the car will still look good when I sell it. Like I said, don't do it.
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

i usually don't mind washing the car..i just hate drying it...i was gonna buy this auto-dry stuff, but it sounds like it's not as great as advertised..
I think i'll go get a california blade..like some of you have posted you use...maybe that will make it easier
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 06:08 PM

Thumbs up Mr. Clean Auto Dry

Mr Clean Auto Dry works great, I used it for the second time today and it's really easy. I have a black EVO and swirl marks really show. I still use a bucket with soap and sponge to clean the wheels. I have more time to take my clean EVO out for a ride.
Old Mar 26, 2004 | 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

I picked up the autodry only for the water filter. Don't use their soap, just wash it yourself. Using the autodry you just rinse the car, and all is good!

Water spots aren't created by water beads - it's only partially true. The reason is because there are minerals in the water, so when it dries it leaves a residue. What the water filter does (as any other water filter does.. even Brita, for that matter) is filter out the minerals so you get a more pure water. It's great for rinsing the car with, but don't expect great results if you use their soaping system.

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Auto Dry?!