Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Anodized Hood

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 02:07 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Anodized Hood

I've been stripping down a replacement hood for my evo, and I was kinda thinking about how I want to finish it. Anodizing crossed my mind but my google foo is failing me. Does anyone have any experience with anodizing body panels? Is this a good/bad idea? Obviously it won't match the paint so the color would have to be something that could be part of a scheme etc. Mostly I'm just wondering how feasible this is.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 03:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
This would certainly be an interesting project. I really like anodized parts! Remember that thread of the yellow EvO where the owner stripped the hood & left it mill finish w/a coating of some sort? (it certainly looked right). A colorized anodized hood & maybe front fenders would have a certain look for sure

Edit: Heres the thread. Its not anodized but may give us some ideas? It got mixed reviews but im a fan!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...shed-hood.html

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 26, 2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 03:27 PM

Thanks for linking that. I have seen that it is a thing in the miata world to strip and polish their aluminum hoods. I'm a little afraid of the mirror-ish finish being a bit of a hazard while I'm driving though, with potential light reflection. I was thinking maybe brushed aluminum with a semi transparent anodizing might be cool or maybe just a hard anodized black. I wish I could find some examples online but the lack of anything makes me think there might be some issues with doing this I'm not aware of. They claim that a hard anodized finish is second only to diamonds in hardness, which might be really helpful with rock chips etc. The life of a DD is hard on the panels and I was hoping anodizing might be a bit of an improvement over paint in the ruggedness dept.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
Most anodize doesn't have much UV resistance. Blacks usually turn to brown within a year. It's common to see on motorcycle suspension.

Some colors fare better than others and type 3 probably lasts longer than type 2 I'm guessing but either way it would be extremely expensive to anodize an entire hood.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Most anodize doesn't have much UV resistance. Blacks usually turn to brown within a year. It's common to see on motorcycle suspension.

Some colors fare better than others and type 3 probably lasts longer than type 2 I'm guessing but either way it would be extremely expensive to anodize an entire hood.
Thanks for that info. I've been calling around and nobody even remotely close to me even has a tank big enough to do the hood. Add in a lack of color stability and that's the nail in the coffin for this idea.

Old Jul 29, 2020, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've polished my hood on evo4. From driving position you can't see the hood so any mirror glare is not a problem. You would need to be seated very high and close with the sun at an extreme low angle to get that reflection.
Anodized would be worse than paint to touch up nicks and scratches. The good thing about polished hood is you can buff out any problems and polish again easily.