Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

WindShield Scratch Remove! Help!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WindShield Scratch Remove! Help!

Lastnite I was driving on the canyon with my friends. After I got home I noticed a long deep scratch(not crack) about 3-4 inches long on the upper edge of my driverside windshield. Can someone recommand me what kind product/brand I should get to fix this?

thanks
Old May 15, 2004, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

I worked at a glass place and the only thing that we could do for that is replace the windshield. If you oil it the scratch will almost dissapper but you will need to oil it daily if not more.

Ben
Old May 15, 2004, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

From thecarconnection.com:

"Scratches can easily be removed from an auto windshield by polishing it with cerium oxide. Many auto glass shops offer this service. To do it yourself, mix cerium oxide polishing powder with water to form a thin slurry the consistency of yogurt. Rub the slurry onto the glass with a woolen cloth or a woolen power buffer. It is very important to use nothing but wool, since other materials either will not polish the windshield or will scratch it. Removing scratches takes about a minute per square foot with power equipment and somewhat longer by hand. After polishing, the slurry is washed off with water and the job is done. Cerium oxide is not toxic."
Old May 16, 2004, 05:35 PM

well the bad news is it's a crack..and it's spreading..it's like 8 inches long now.. I can't believe the windshield is this weak. I have extended warranty and I am going to bring the car back to the dealership tomorrow hopefully they will replace it for me .
Old May 16, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by bbbwrx
I worked at a glass place and the only thing that we could do for that is replace the windshield. If you oil it the scratch will almost dissapper but you will need to oil it daily if not more.

Ben
BTW Ben any ideas on how much it's going to cost me to replace the windshield?

thanks
Old May 16, 2004, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

No clue sorry. Any place you call should be able to give you a quote. You can either get genaric glass or OEM quality glass. Remember you always get what you pay for. The genaric stuff is usually thinner and more prone to breaking and doesn't fit up as well as the OEM stuff.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:54 PM

Just went to dealership and ordered a new one it's 455. But I have to install it outside not at the dealership. The extended warranty sux doesn't cover it. I sugguest you guys don't buy it. If the car break down within the first 7 years . Then I have to say Mit got some ****ty quality parts.

Last edited by Tougefreak; May 17, 2004 at 03:01 PM.