Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

SQ setup

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SQ setup

hey guys,

im looking to get a system and am looking for sq mainly but want it to ' thump'when needed lol...so basically a good tradeoff between sq and spl

what i wanted to know is if anyone here has tailored their systems for sq or spl or anything to that sort....just looking to see what would sound good, actually make that great ( you can tell im an audiophile), in an evo

so post ur systems, pics, sq or spl etc etc etc if u can

thanks alot
peace
Old May 26, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Chicago local here did a great sound set up in his car and found a pretty good balance between what you mentioned....obviously it wasn't cheap, as he used the best of the best: JL AUDIO!!!!! I might be able to find some pics of his set up in a bit for ya .
Old May 26, 2004, 02:52 PM

cool

yea price isnt too much of a factor so just post whataver you guys have experience with or heard....my budget is like 3000 ( including installation) and im not getting rear speakers so JL Audio is def an option but i was looking to get Adire Brahmas...any1 here have experience with these subs?
Old May 26, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

my system is exactly what you are looking for and it is for sale:

jl audio 300/4 amp for the speakers
jl audio 500/1 d calss amp for the sub
jl audio 12w6v2 sub
diamond audio hex series 6.5 soft dom spekers for the front
diamond audio m3 for the rears
alpin 9815 head unit

this system is very sq oriented and very clean but it can also thump when you need it
Old May 26, 2004, 05:13 PM

does no one here have any experience with high quality systems or what?
Old May 26, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ashokn225
does no one here have any experience with high quality systems or what?
sorry, i thought my system was pretty good quality
Old May 26, 2004, 06:39 PM

blonde....sorry...that wasnt directed towards you...i was just a little upset that no one responded except you and you because you wanted to sell me ur system ( im not flaming at you because I prolly would have done the same thing in ur place)

but whataver
Old May 26, 2004, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

sorry about that bro, i did say it was for sale but i also meant that a system like mine is similar to what you are lookinng for. the jl amps are clean and powerful and the hex speakers are great for sq.

sorry for confusion...
Old May 26, 2004, 07:35 PM

whataver its straight....jl is very good no doubt about that....anyone else have other companies they would like to tell me about that they have had good/bad experience with?

im looking at eclipse HU, zapco amps, eclipse subs and focal components...anyone have anyof these products?
Old May 28, 2004, 06:17 AM

good to see that you guys are on top of your game and are helping me out here

thanks alot guys for all the replies to my posts
Old May 28, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

I personally recommend Infinity if you are on a budget like me, but to be honest with you unless you are looking for people to hear you coming from 10 blocks away, I recommend just dynamatting your car. I have extensively dynamatted my car using Dynamat Xtreme on all 4 doors, rear deck, entire trunk area, and under the back seats. After sitting in my car and my friend's cars you couldn't tell much difference that their systems cost almost double mine. Unless you are looking for show, don't go huge, my friend has Kicker compoenets, 6x9's and 2 12" L7's in his Galant, with the biggest Kicker amps I have ever seen, and he can only turn up his system like 1/4 the way up and you can hear him from at least 3 blocks away. I am personally working on a custom enclosure now, similar to the one JWERNER sells, but everything everyone else mentioned are very good companies. I think JL, Diamond Audio, and Eclipse are very good quality products. Keep a look out for the new MB Quartz Amps too. I am in the market for two new amps so I'll be checking out this post a lot for any suggestions, but I was considering switching out my amps and subs for JL because I am graduating and have a lot of cash coming. I think you are on the right track that SQ should come first and I personally would love to hear blonde's system..... Good Luck!
Old May 28, 2004, 07:39 AM

yeah dynamat is definetely important...not just so people from 10 blocks away wont hear you but also for SQ itself.....and if i ever do want people to hear me 10 blocks away ( cause tahts cool sometimes depending on the song lol)...i can always roll down the windows hahaha

ya im looking at the eclipse cd8443 HU...tahts there 2nd from the top of the line HU...i didnt want the highest one because its only a preamp and doesnt come with alot of things that i would need....plus in the 8443 an 8V preamp output is good enough

i like zapco amps...theyre a little expensive but they are deifinetely worth it so im gonna go for that ( unless someone here has bad experience with them or something )
Old May 28, 2004, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been working on my system design for a while now and have started to purchase the pieces. i'm using a pioneer 8600 deck, focal 165k2p components, focal 165cv full range, rockford fosgate amps (6002 and 4004), elemental designs e12a.22 sub, and a 1 farad digital cap. i've been to countless shows and shops to listens to systems and i've come to the conclusion that this is the best combo for sq and spl.
Old May 28, 2004, 03:09 PM

cool

also for those who arent in the know when it comes to audio for cars...
sq= sound quality
spl= sound pressure level ( loudness)

thought that might clear it up for some other people who at first didnt know what i was talking about
Old May 28, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Im in the process of building my system now as we speak 2 JLW7's, with 1000/1 amps pushing, MB Quart Mids and Highs 2 QSD216's (Front and rear) and a Set of QSD213(5.5in. components in the rear deck as well JL 300/2 for those. My impressions the MB's are expensive but the highs are way high and crisp they work to almost and the mids are a bit high but work nice with the JL's because there are two of them, and they match up nicely

Quick Reply: SQ setup