Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Waxing a white Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing a white Evo

Yea I know its a pretty stupid question, but this is gonna be my first time actually waxing a car, and I wanna do it right. So I just wanted to know what where the best produts, materials I need and basically how to do it. Do I put masking tape over the wheather strips? Do I do it a panel at a time? Just any suggestions/knowledge you guys have waxing your white Evos let know? Thanx
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

dont use too much wax, make sure u apply evenly, make sure u wipe it all off including all the cracks. u really dont need to put masking tape on the weather strips just becareful not to spill over. use 2 pieces of cloth, 1 to apply the wax, one to wipe it off. make sure they are both clean and soft.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Don't do it in direct sunlight.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
Don't do it in direct sunlight.
i havent heard that one before...i guess i have alot to learn

what can i say, im 17
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

watch the karate kid
Old Jun 12, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

waxing the weather stripping is fine, it actually cleans it and leaves it looking brand new. For all the little crevacies that still have wax in them...use Q-Tips to get the wax out. Wax the car from top to bottom unless you are swapping out applicator pads and buffing towels ever section. If the car's paint feels rough, dont attempt to wax, clay bar those areas first. Enjoy!
Old Jun 13, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are just going to wax, the best product would be P21S; I've never seen a better shine from any other wax. If you don't want to spend that much go and get some Meguiar's NXT or Zymol.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

i go with Mother's. And dont get the liquid wax, get the actual Wax in a can. I used Mother's wax for year on my Integra Type R and my EVO.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Mother's is okay, I've used a few bottles on all different colors, but when I made the switch to higher end waxes, Mother's just didn't shine like the others. Ironic how they say "There's no shine like Mother's" eh? Meguiar's Gold Class was nice too and application was a breeze, but the new Tech Wax and Zymol just obliterate everyone else when it comes to the under 15 dollar range.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Mother's is okay, I've used a few bottles on all different colors, but when I made the switch to higher end waxes, Mother's just didn't shine like the others. Ironic how they say "There's no shine like Mother's" eh? Meguiar's Gold Class was nice too and application was a breeze, but the new Tech Wax and Zymol just obliterate everyone else when it comes to the under 15 dollar range.
I agree.............
Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blue rocket
waxing the weather stripping is fine, it actually cleans it and leaves it looking brand new. For all the little crevacies that still have wax in them...use Q-Tips to get the wax out. Wax the car from top to bottom unless you are swapping out applicator pads and buffing towels ever section. If the car's paint feels rough, dont attempt to wax, clay bar those areas first. Enjoy!
I would recommend getting as little wax as possible on the weather stripping -- mainly seals, as over time it will reduce the ability of the seals to actually "seal" things.

The manual specifically states not to get wax on the sunroof seal, as it will damage it. I have seen this happen first hand, and it's a ***** to replace and get "back to normal" again.

Cabo
Old Jun 14, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all your help. I've seen the Zymol at wal-mart and it seemed like it was a pretty good wax. It has the caranuba wax in it. What should I use to wax a microfiber towel or applicator pad? Also I have a lilttle drops of paint on my car, because my friend was painting his roof and some paint managed to get on my car. Should I use a clay bar for that? Will a white car shine after being waxed or will it still be the same?
Old Jun 15, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, for sure use a clay bar to get that crap off as it will nind to the paint after a while. For application, I use a little foam pad 3" in diameter to apply, and then take it off with a nice microfiber towel (just a normal one, not waffle weave). Also don't worry too much about what they say for application when it comes to the amount of wax you use; and screw the 2 sqaure foot method, I just do a side/panel at a time. For example, I may start with the front end of a car. I apply wax on the hood, the fron bumper, and the fenders, and then wipe off becuase with the extended amount of time the wax hazed, it made a bit of a better coating. Just giving wax another minute after it has hazed to a nice white (or light white when it comes to Zymol) makes the actual wax left on the car a bit more dense IMO. Why am I such a detail nerd? KK needs to make a separate wash and wax forum for me . And white wont shine too much, but there will be a definate improvement after a waxing. Good luck.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

I use NXT and a random orbital buffer
Old Jun 16, 2004, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

telling one thing now, it a biatch to wax a white care. you don't get that haze look after the wax dries. make sure you remember the spot that you waxed (not like it's going to do anything, just lots of wax to take off later).

Quick Reply: Waxing a white Evo