Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

How to protect the CF wing from UV?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a ****ing AWESOME car!
Old Jul 20, 2004, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

iu used Zymol on mine and it looked as good Day 1 as it did Day 402 when i sold her...
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if I'm not mistaken it is the epoxy you are trying to protect, that is what is harmed by uv rays. the carbonfiber prolly doesn't give a hoot about uv. everyone is right though, keeping it waxed will protect it. if you want to brake the bank get aviation uv protection or boat...

yellowing and haze or dulling is what happens to the epoxy when it is weathered.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

So many people said you can't wax carbon fiber, what name brand and specific products from them can be used on carbon fiber?

I f*** up my cf wing using wax on it. It made these wierd swirls under it. It almost looks like a wood design. Better yet, it's yellow also. So the wax didn't help it out either way.

I don't care anyways since I'm getting a cf trunk soon anyways. I would just like to know, so I can keep my new carbon fiber hood protected and not ruin it like my wing. Be careful.

I also have a cf grill that I have waxed a couple times. Nothing bad has happened to it yet. So should it be ok? I won't wax it again, till I find out what's good for it.

Also, what about the Wax as you dry stuff? I usually spray that all over my car when I dry it off. Should I skip over the hood and wing when I use that also?

Last edited by pumpdog720; Jul 20, 2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

if your really worried, go and get a layer of clearcoat+UV put on the wing.. I spend 250$CA to do that to my CF hood, and it looks AWESOME. (i even got them to put in some diamond pearl so that it sparkles like mad)
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

nothere: your wrong, CF will defintiely fade from UV rays if you dont protect it from them.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rentaslut
if your really worried, go and get a layer of clearcoat+UV put on the wing.. I spend 250$CA to do that to my CF hood, and it looks AWESOME. (i even got them to put in some diamond pearl so that it sparkles like mad)
Well I won't do it to the wing since its already messed up anyways, but maybe the hood. But the hood comes UV protected already.. so that doesn;t wear off or anything right? If not, should I not bother waxing it anyways then?

The only thing I noticed in the hood now since after I bought it is that from a certain angle, I can see like this white shade on it in a certain spot. Not sure what it is, but when I clean it, it's still there. I hate cf! It's so hard to maintain! Haha!

Last edited by pumpdog720; Jul 20, 2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suppose the carbon cloth may fade a bit from the light but it is the epoxy that will show ware and tare. it is the epoxy's quality that shows the cf, if the epoxy becomes dull the cf may look bad but it is the epoxy that has "gone bad". think of it like a clear coat. you want to protect the epoxy and in doing so you will protect the cf.
the factory may have put a clear coat on the tail, as cf hoods should have. either way you would treat it the same.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

guys u dont need magical uv products. Just wax ur wing every month or two and u'll be fine. I wax mine like once or twice a month and my wing still looks flawless.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XRS-Lift
guys u dont need magical uv products. Just wax ur wing every month or two and u'll be fine. I wax mine like once or twice a month and my wing still looks flawless.
But like I have said, many people say wax is bad for carbon fiber? I know when I waxed mine it messed it up.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

How do you mess up wax?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

well you could just have somthing break and it will stay in the shop long enough on a warranty issue that sun wont be an issue.....
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:45 AM
Account Disabled

Wax would only be bad for carbon fiber if it was bare carbon fiber. It would probably be like putting wax on plastic.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

My cf hood looks like it has this gray dull haze over it now after waxing it? Not sure what it is... could it be like oxidation I think what it's called. If I get that new Meguiars 3 step wax, the first one removes old wax, removes oxidatoin and stuff like that. You think the forst step will fix it?
Old Jul 23, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

yo pumpdog.. my body shop told me specifically NOT to wax my CF hood. although I spent 300$ beforehand and had special UV and clearcoat put on it. I'm thinking the wax is on your hood and its too thick perhaps? I'd suggest removing the wax thats on it...

same thing happens to me if im at the carwash and i spray wax all over and dont wipe off the windows quickly afterwards.