Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

removing hood vent

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2004, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's no more marketing speak than saying removing it allows more air to flow out is. There are so many variables that only someone with a physics degree could really give a definite answer. Like I said, I don't know how much of a difference it makes, if any.

It has, and always will be an "exhaust". I don't think any one considered it an intake.

I say to each his own...

Cabo
Old Jul 6, 2004, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cabo, I agree. The louvers are there to direct the air out the hood vent. Otherwise you have more turbulent hot air in the engine bay. Its pretty much the reason they switched from the version 7 style. Id say Mitsu. engineers had good reasoning behind it and Im sure its far from some kind of marketing hype.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

It's simple. The engineers really would have liked it open w/o the vent louvers to allow 100% heat extraction, but for practicality, weather, elements, automated car washes, they inserted the louvers to vent the heat and not allow all that crap to just fall directly into the engine bay.

If you live in a dry climate or only drive your Evo in the dry, have a garage, vigilent in keeping your engine clean, then take it out. I have had zero problems for almost a year. You can actually see the heat billowing out at a stoplight. When you are in motion, the air will be filtered through regardless.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, i think everyone (all the evos) that hang out here in vegas, are blingin under their hood. (i.e. Sincityevo, evilevovegas, evo81, gonzo, vegasboy301) we all have our engine bays nice. but i would have to say that sincityevos, is the vleanest i have EVER seen to you sincityevo

the picture is of vegasboy301's engine and evilevovegas' enigine
Attached Thumbnails removing hood vent-blingking1.jpg  
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, Alex. See you guys at the next meet.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

i would consider a fine mesh to guard against anything dropping in but remove the vent to still allow more air to flow out.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 05:48 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Cabo
It's no more marketing speak than saying removing it allows more air to flow out is. There are so many variables that only someone with a physics degree could really give a definite answer. Like I said, I don't know how much of a difference it makes, if any.

It has, and always will be an "exhaust". I don't think any one considered it an intake.

I say to each his own...

Cabo
Sorry, I misread what you posted. For some reason I took your post to mean it was drawing air into the bay.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
It's simple. The engineers really would have liked it open w/o the vent louvers to allow 100% heat extraction
Oh, I see now -- the engineers WANTED it that way, but designed it the current way for everyday use. I guess I must have limited knowledge on the subject since I haven't had the opportunity to go over to Japan and have a heart-to-heart with the EVO engineers.

Is anyone else tired of everyone on this board becoming an authoritative expert on automotive design?

Am I wrong to bring up the fact that sometimes air FLOW is more important than VOLUME?

I'm not saying using the louvers is technically better, but I am tired of people stating that it is better without them and not actually backing up the statement. Just because something seems better when visualized doesn't necessarily make it so...

Cabo
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:52 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
It'd be pretty simple to test, actually. Hmm.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
It'd be pretty simple to test, actually. Hmm.
I was just thinking that. Use a couple bits of string; if the string points slightly up and back at speed, the vent is working. If it's plastered against the mesh, it's not working. Of course you would have to compare those results to tests with the vents installed, too.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

didnt someone a while back already do tests with an IR thermometer with the louvre on and off?

Just paint a fake looking engine onto the louvre.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 04:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Honestly, I dont see where the louver keeps that much water out anyway. Its still going to run onto the top of the engine anyway. Once again, its obvious that the louvers' purpose is to direct the air coming in through the front of the car out of the hood vent more effieciently, reducing under hood temps.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

If you live in CA take it off. If you live in the east cost keep it
Old Jul 8, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Cabo, wow, you went to Japan to speak with the Evo enginneers about the heat vent. Maybe you should have asked them about out s hitty clutches instead.

My belief of why the vent is there is my hypothesis, so don't take it like I'm Mr. know it all. More hot air will escape with the shield removed when sitting at idle. When in motion, I'm sure the louvers direct the hot air outwards through the louvers. If the louvers are removed, the moving air will go right past the opening I'm assuming.

Regardless, the shield looks like shat and that was the first thing removed from my car after the dealer's emblem.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 04:47 PM

umm... seriously, how is this thing preventing water from getting into the engine bay when it's full of holes? on or off water's getting in there. if it was a serious enough problem, there wouldn't be a gigantic opening in the hood in the first place. plus it's not like mitsubishi really bolted the thing down to make sure you never remove it, it uses giant plastic screws that come off with your fingernail in 10 seconds.

I think there may be two reasons why the thing is even there in the first place

1. looks

2. there is most likely some sort of government regulation on how big an opening there can be in the hood of a car. this is the same reason the ferrari testarossa has it's trademark louvered air inlets on the sides.

think about it. the wrc car doesn't have one and they drive all out in much worse weather than any of us. I imagine it's because there's nothing in the rules about it.

and as for it being more aerodynamic... ummm, again, seriously, I don't see it. the hole is there to let hot air out of the engine bay. not having the vent in there will obviously let air out at a greater rate, but I doubt it's significant enough to have ANY affect whatsoever on the aerodynamics of the car. and again, if it made enough of a difference to aerodynamics then I would imagine the wrc car would have it or one even more outrageous. they seem to take that stuff pretty seriously.

my 2 cents... if you like it, leave it in. if you don't, take it out.

Last edited by Nathan; Jul 8, 2004 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: removing hood vent