Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

EVO Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2004 | 01:13 PM

EVO Tweeters

Ok, wanting to get new speakers, and am looking to go with MB quarts component set for up front bc I found the DSE216 for $122. Here is a link to the speakers . My question is, are the tweeters small enough to fit behind the a pillar and are the 6.5s thin enough where they wont hit the winows glass when theyre down?? Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 09:12 PM

anybody have any thoughts at all????
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

I have infinity kappa 60.5 speakers and they fit ... so if the MBQs are the same depth, they should fit. IMO the stock tweeter setup sucks .. .they don't even use a crossover. I mounted mine elsewhere, because it would have been a major PITA to replace the stockers...

l8r)
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 09:59 PM

The MBQs have a crossover with them and i'll be hooking them up to a 4 channel amp with my back speakers
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

My opinions on the install and pics can be found here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=84010

l8r)
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 10:32 PM

so the tweeters wouldn't fit in the stock location?
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't even bother trying. Like I said ... it looked like a major PITA and I like the fact that all front speaker wiring including the crossover is now on the door itself. Other things I took into considerations:

- I did not want to deal with the headache of running additional wiring into the A-pillar
- might have also had to bastardize the stock wiring harness in each footwell
- crossover would have ended up in the footwell unless I wanted to run extra wiring to and from the door panel and the driver's side footwell doesn't really have that much room to spare.
- it really didn't look like the Infinity tweeters would fit (if they do it's gotta be real close)

Lastly, the stock tweeter grille doesn't exactly look like it will let a lot of sound pass through it, I liked the Infinity grille much better - I also like the location on the door better. High frequencies being much more directional in nature, I felt that the door location would give me better sound. Something that the pics don't really show is that the tweeters I mounted on the door are slightly angled towards the driver as well...

If you run a search on quarts, you might find someone that did install the tweeters into the stock location...

l8r)
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

I mounted mine on the outside of the doors. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails EVO Tweeters-fryj.jpg  
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EzEddie
so the tweeters wouldn't fit in the stock location?
Chances are they won't fit, so you'll have to find a new spot for them. From what I've heard, most aftermarket tweeters don't fit.

A popular spot I've seen in most EVO's is just above the door handle closer to the dash. It's a bit more effective there too. The sound waves will not only still meet in the center of your car, but they'll be closer to your ears as well. On top of that, they look pretty good there.

DO IT BABY.
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, yes. EXACTLY how 'evilevovegas' has em.
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

or how about here? lol
Attached Thumbnails EVO Tweeters-dfh.jpg  
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm... the back could go however you want it. Up where evilevo has it is pretty good. Straight to the head. If not, just put em right next to the mid's. Maybe closer to the corners where the rear windshield meets the interior so the treble can bounce off the glass.
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilevovegas
or how about here? lol
DON"T,i repeat,DON"T put tweeters in you rear pillar.useless.rear speakers are just fillers.evilevovegas is crazy.
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Your opinion evo81.
Old Sep 1, 2004 | 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo81
DON"T,i repeat,DON"T put tweeters in you rear pillar.useless.rear speakers are just fillers.evilevovegas is crazy.
If you're getting a system, it'd probably be better if you get two new sets of sides rather than leaving the back stock. It makes a pretty big difference. Especially because of the fact that the stock back speakers on the EVO are supposed to be mini woofers. There'd be too much sound clashing and it'd sound funky.

Quick Reply: EVO Tweeters