Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Turbo Timer in Ash Tray

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Timer in Ash Tray

I just thought people might like to see where I put the turbo timer. It was a heck of a lot of work (had to shave the sides of the turbo timer until they were basically gone...disassemble and cut away back of the ash tray...lots of monkeying around but I really like how it turned out. Used epoxy to bond timer to ground-flat edges of ash tray.

The other pics are of mildly smoked headlamps, painted tails and the Evo VII badge (minus the number)

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Timer in Ash Tray-resize-ash-tray.jpg   Turbo Timer in Ash Tray-resize-turbo-timer.jpg   Turbo Timer in Ash Tray-resize-front.jpg   Turbo Timer in Ash Tray-resize-smoked-headlight.jpg   Turbo Timer in Ash Tray-resize-tail.jpg  

Last edited by MyCre8n=Evlshn; Sep 16, 2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Your TT install looks sick. Good job
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:18 AM

wow.. great job!.. do you have step-by-step pics of the installation?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, thats nice. I just took the easy route and put it in the coin tray and put my coins in the ash tray. Who did the headlights for you? I can't seem to find anybody to do it in the Southeast and I can't afford to send them off since this is my daily driver.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

^sup jared
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Nice... that's a great place to put the TT.... i had the Apex'i TT (which is like the size of a magic marker)... i placed in the eyeglasses compartment...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

nice!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I also would like to know about your headlights, i live in wilmington nc and want blacked out so badly. Awesome tt install btw.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

oh yeah btw, nice ride
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

looks good man. same idea i had except i put mine completely behind the ash tray, instead of through the back. mine's a little harder to see but i NEVER need to look at it anyway so i don't really care. i just got tired of the blinking light everytime i turned the car off.

Old Sep 16, 2004, 01:53 PM

Hey THANKS GUYS!! I really appreciate all the compliments on it...that's about the only unique, custom-fab thing I've done so far (waiting to put full energies into an MR "EDITION" (sucks!)...Wish we got the full deal, but what the hell, I'll get some aftermarket seats and redo the interior...just have to go completely broke to do it.)

The headlights were done by EvoDave on the boards here. I forget where he is...not east coast though...so I had to send them to him. I think it might be tricky to get the color and evenness just right so I had him do them because he's done a bunch. I was without headlights for a good couple of weeks. Drove my POS beater in the meantime. He did the tails too. He does good work, scratched the front of one of the headlights some (mild brushing to the clear outside surface) so I was kinda bummed at first...but then he said it can be polished out easily and told me how. To tell you the truth, it's not noticible and I never got around to polishing the surface. I don't really care much and haven't looked that closely to have it bother me since I put them back in.

He did the tails really nicely and they look better (in my opinion) than the factory evo VII tails (which have horizontal red lines accross the clear section). I was leary that the tails are painted on the outside of the lenses instead of the inside, but haven't noticed any problems with that and I've driven a few thousand miles since reinstall.

The best part of doing the lights yourself is that you don't have to pay all the shipping and figure out how to package all your lights (huge pain in the ***) and get them all into boxes (I had to use two huge boxes and it was about $70 in shipping costs) Plus, I think the real trick is getting the headlights apart and that is explained in a "how to" on here really well. I think if I were doing it again, I'd do it myself, but EvoDave did a really good job and has the experience. $300 plus shipping. Taking the headlights out is a huge pain....whole front bumber has to come off.

I guess with the rave reviews, I may have to repeat my ash-tray timer in the MR

Oh, and sorry, I don't own a dig. camera so I didn't get any pics of the process. Just used a grinder to the sides of the timer (try to find a narrower turbo timer if you're going to do this) and taped the sides when done (cause all the plastic was gone and the circuitry was exposed) then cut the whole back of the ashtray off, keeping the hinge mounts for the lid. It was really a pain...but now it was all worth it.

Last edited by MyCre8n=Evlshn; Sep 16, 2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Really clean install, I like it a lot. Good job man
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Good job on doing your tt. I like the way it close and open up to hide your tt. I would do the same if I havent used my ash tray as my boost gauge. Props to you. Here is my set up.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

u r some crazy guy with some crazy idea which came out looking crazy nice. The TT wiring was THAT long?? I love it. I wish I did this before sticking it onto my steering column. I double my TT as a shift light though
Old Oct 8, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

what TT was what? Greddy.... When i get the greddy spec b if i can make it fit that is where it is going to go......nice job

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer in Ash Tray