Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Vortex Generator Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortex Generator Question

Just wondering before I get mine, mitsubishi says it installs with some double sided 3M tape. Just wondering if this is enough to keep it in place at high speeds, also wouldn't this also alow some air to actually get under the generator and could just rip it off from under it? Has anyone installed it this way and had a problem wit it or are people actually molding it to the roof or screwing it down somehow? lemme know how u installed yours and if you'vve had any probs with it
thanxs
Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think anyone here has enough time with theirs to tell you. I know it is not only held on by tape, but it goes under the rubber weather strip drain channel on each end of the roof. That's more than enough to hold it. I'm sure there is plenty of tape along the bottom. It's not going anywhere.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Your emblems are attached with the same double sided 3M tape...they don't fall off. Matter of fact, it takes quite a while to get them off.

I would belive the vortex generator would be equally as challenging to remove once installed.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah its held on by the tape and weather stripping, we've got it on our shop car; Have not had any problems with it at all. Just make sure you clean the area first.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

That 3M tape is very strong stuff. On my old RMR lip, that's pretty much all that held it on and never had a problem with it. It is a complete seal, so no air is going under the V.G.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

just installed mine, its on very strong, dont think its going anywhere...
Old Sep 18, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

How much are you all paying for these? I kinda wanna get one.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

i paid like $223 from my local mitsu dealer.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 02:50 PM
ccs

ctevo...just ensure they use 3M tape. Had a body shop use a different brand of double sided tape on my Honda and the adhesive failed within two months.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

WOW, that seems like an awful expensive part for the performance gains I have seen in other posts. I hope everyone buying one is getting them just for looks. Me personally I'd rather have a cat delete pipe for that price.

But that's just my oppinion, which my wife always tels me means nothing.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of money for a piece of plastic. I agree.

The Evo has so much going on already, the vortex just adds to that. It may attract even more attention since people won't know what it is. They may think it's a bunch of antennas or some rice part from Pep Boys.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
A lot of money for a piece of plastic. I agree.

The Evo has so much going on already, the vortex just adds to that. It may attract even more attention since people won't know what it is. They may think it's a bunch of antennas or some rice part from Pep Boys.

The Pep Boys comment sums it all up.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ttiscio
WOW, that seems like an awful expensive part for the performance gains I have seen in other posts. I hope everyone buying one is getting them just for looks. Me personally I'd rather have a cat delete pipe for that price.

But that's just my oppinion, which my wife always tels me means nothing.
I thought it was *almost* just for looks too, till I figured they were way too ugly to be just for looks and asked an aerodynamics engineer at work about them. He said by interrupting the airflow and creating vortexes, the airflow actually follows the surface of the car, so on our car it would follow the rear window down to the rear decklid where it would then flow over the wing. More airflow over the wing = more downforce. Makes sense to me, as I think they are far too odd looking to be used for looks. I actually don't like the way they look, but I'm thinking about getting one for DE days next year just for some added insurance on the high speed corners.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=ctevo]Just wondering before I get mine, mitsubishi says it installs with some double sided 3M tape. Just wondering if this is enough to keep it in place at high speeds,

- i have had it up to 100 and it still stays on

also wouldn't this also alow some air to actually get under the generator and could just rip it off from under it?

- i would assume airflow gets underneath it , cause water and soap does when i wash my car. but its doesnt rip it off at high speeds (not enough air flow)

Has anyone installed it this way and had a problem wit it or are people actually molding it to the roof or screwing it down somehow?

- i am just using the supplied double sided tape. but if you are worried you could always use more tape!

lemme know how u installed yours and if you'vve had any probs with it
thanxs
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

my thread - pictures of the vortex generator
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107303

Quick Reply: Vortex Generator Question