Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

rear susp under load - toe in or out?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear susp under load - toe in or out?

Does anyone have an idea how does our rear multilink suspension behave when put under load (lowered) ? does it toe in or out?

M.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

In. Look up bump steer.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

At the optimal ride height it will actually toe out under bump transition. Check it with a tape, some plates, and a few fat dudes.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
where can i find some fat dudes?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
where can i find some fat dudes?
McDonalds
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
At the optimal ride height it will actually toe out under bump transition. Check it with a tape, some plates, and a few fat dudes.
So you're saying that during compression it toes out, (bump steer), and this promotes understeer? I disagree.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=bump+steer

Last edited by mayhem; Aug 17, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:13 PM

I've measured bumpsteer on PG's lowered Evo (with and with out Whiteline bushing) and a stock MR, as well as measured all the pivot points and entered them in my suspension analysis program. All methods say toe-out under squat and roll, but at varying amounts. I worked with Dustin over the phone for a setup change once, and he saw the same numbers on an alignment rack that I was telling him.

I'm confused where the toe-in belief is coming from
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe you would want it to toe-in more. However I believe by default it is set up to toe-out.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Djazair
I've measured bumpsteer on PG's lowered Evo (with and with out Whiteline bushing) and a stock MR, as well as measured all the pivot points and entered them in my suspension analysis program. All methods say toe-out under squat and roll, but at varying amounts. I worked with Dustin over the phone for a setup change once, and he saw the same numbers on an alignment rack that I was telling him.

I'm confused where the toe-in belief is coming from
You very well could be correct as I have no hard data to back up what I'm saying. I'm just referring back to the bump steer scenarios. BS being something evo owners are trying to reduce to help combat understeer during cornering. It just makes sense (to me) that if the loaded outside rear wheel toes out during cornering/compression then oversteer would occur, not understeer.

Originally Posted by Robi
the Bump steer "kit" I use changes the rear toe link geometry to keep the rear MULTI-LINK IRS from toeing in during full compression events this then keeps the rear from initiating a Push right when you don'y want it to happen...the back of a car with the right nose down attitude for max front grip lifts and "moves around" with the stock rear trailing arm bushung with the stiffer part you still get the lift but the rear stays "directionaly planted/stable " for the same amount of weight transfer.

Last edited by mayhem; Aug 17, 2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered a set of bump steer bushings... I only purchased them to aid agains the bump steer I have been reading about. From what I have read, the bump steer is caused by too much toe-out as the suspension is compressed. Am I wrong and are people trying to fix the rear toe-out for other reasons?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mayhem
You very well could be correct as I have no hard data to back up what I'm saying. I'm just referring back to the bump steer scenarios. BS being something evo owners are trying to reduce to help combat understeer during cornering. It just makes sense (to me) that if the loaded outside rear wheel toes out during cornering/compression then oversteer would occur, not understeer.
Bumpsteer will not automatically cause understeer or oversteer - by definition, it is simply the wheels "steering" themselves with no direct input from the steering wheel. It depends on the suspension geometry of the car. Bumpsteer toe-out would aid in turn-in, and could potentially be designed into a setup for just that reason.

The way I understand it, if the outside rear tire becomes heavily loaded in a corner (such as corner exit), the slip angle of the tire will increase as well, and will toe-out more. So it would seem that toe is more of a function of tire load, with more tire load producing greater grip (to a point). On paper, it would seem beneficial to have toe-out under compression for the outside, with some (but less) toe-out on the inside tire as well.

edit: It sounds like you, Joe and Dustin are saying the same thing?

Last edited by Noob4life; Aug 18, 2006 at 09:56 PM.