Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel options for fitting 285/30 R compounds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 04:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel options for fitting 285/30 R compounds

II'm trying to get together a list of tried-and-true wheel/rim options to fit 285/30/18 R compound rubber under the stock bodywork.

I know the results are out there but they seem scattered around many threads so just attempting to collate all the viable options on EvoM in one place for easy review!

So what I'm looking for in bullet point format:

1. Wheel/rim brand, dimensions and offset (that will fit the 285/30/18s)
2. If pics, rubber used
3. Any issues encountered (rubbing, clearance, etc.)
4. Any additional requirements for fitting (i.e. spacers, long studs, big hammer, alignment etc.)
4. PICS! Images of installed 283/30s more than welcome! 8)

NOTE: FWIW I run KW V3s and whiteline camber plates, my rear fenders are already rolled, have already tried 235 and 245 R comps so definitely ready to move up (and skip 265 R comps) and I do AutoX, Sprints and track days.

Also please note that I'm limited to 18s in order to clear my Endless BBK so no talk of 17s please!

^^
My car, being forced to race in a Sprint event on my daily tires - 265/35/18 Pirelli P Zero Rossos on 18x9 +30 Rota SVNs - hence the desire for an upgrade!

Last edited by theshadow; Jun 20, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Something similar to this setup below is what I'm aiming for...basically need to know what rims can fit those 285s under the stock body!

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

18x10+32 WedSport SA-70, 10mm front spacer, 285/30/18 Kumho V710
Here are a couple more, same setup, different color Weds. . .

^^
Love EVOlutionary's car - amazed at how much the rears disappear into the fenders though!!! Surely those rub the liners? Also wondering how stiff the springs are to lift the inside front like that!?

What are the other track/autoX junkies running?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a badass EVO RS!!!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Mine or EVOlutionary's?

If I can fill my wheelwells with as much tire as he has then I wouldn't have to ask hehehe

SpeedElement - what 18.9.5 or 18x10 rims (and in what offsets) would you recommend for a max tire competition setup?

Local rules allow me to go as wide as I want with rubber but no modifications to the bodywork allowed (rolling excluded).

Found some good discussion in this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=285%2F30%2F18

but wondering what rim options are out there besides the FN01RCs and the SA 70s above.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Warrtalon's setup:

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Year/Make/Model: 2005 GG MR
Wheels: 18X9.5 Enkei NT03+M +40 w/25mm spacers up front
Tires: 285/30-18 Kumho Ecsta V710 (DOT slicks)
Suspension: Vishnu/Gerrard Ohlins
Alignment: -3.0f/-1.5r 1/16th toe-out front & 0 toe rear
Fenders Rolled or Cut: Heavy rolling front / minor rolling rear
Other Body modifications: None
Advice: Keep it simple, and go with things that are proven to work. Don't just slap together random $200 braces and bars. Do your research, make a plan, and then follow it. Yes, there is more than one way to go fast.

In the event you do not have the specs for one of the "areas" please include it with N/A.

Pictures:

Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Do you want to order something custom to fit the tires perfectly?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

^^ Depends on the price, but ideally I'd rather go for off-the-shelf options in case I damage a wheel (especially when running skinny 30 profile tires)!

Last edited by theshadow; Jun 20, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by theshadow
^^ Depends on the price, but ideally I'd rather go for off-the-shelf options in case I damage a wheel (especially when running skinny 30 profile tires)!
Ok, well PM me if you would like to discuss it.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
That is my red RS in the first few pics. Glad you liked it. You probably already know those are Wedssport SA-70, 18x10, +32 offset. With certain coilover setups you can get by with a 10mm spacer in the front, but with most you will need a 15mm spacer which will then require rolling the front fenders. This is all with the 285 Hoosier A6.

With a narrower 285 width tire like the Kumho V710, you can get by with a 5-10mm spacer in the front.

No spacer and no extended studs are required in the rear. . .

Also, when you turn the wheel full lock, the outside edge of the tire that is to the inside of the turn can scrape on a body seam that is hidden behind the fender liner. Once the liner wears away the seam will slice the tire. You may have to take a hammer to this area if you have this problem. . .

One other thing to consider is weight. The Weds only weigh ~20 pounds for the 18x10. The FN01RC in 18x9.5 are ~23 pounds. That is a difference of 12 pounds of rotating mass, AND a half inch wider wheel. . .

The Volk RE30 in 18x9.5 weighs somewhere around 17-18 pounds and are super strong. They would be at the top of my list for your application. . .

Let us know what you end up going with!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Evolutionary...

I'm still looking into my options but the Weds seem to hit a nice balance of price and performance (i.e. light weight).

The top candidates for "plus size" serious competition wheels I've come up that are light, strong, not ridiculously expensive and would fit are (pretty generic really):

Weds Sport SA70, 18x10, 32 offset
Enkei NT03+M in 18x9.5, 27 offset
Volk CE28Ns, TE37s or RE30s - 18x9.5, 28 offset (kindof expensive though)
Buddy Club P1 QFs (having no joy finding anyone who acutally has those in the right size and offset though...let alone in stock...the word "vapourware" comes to mind...but I WOULD pay the huge price premium to own 16 lb 18x10 wheels if I could source them in a heartbeat!).

Very serious about getting that rubber under there anyways...don't mind doing some hammering etc. since the car's already been heavily tracked etc. so it's no beauty queen! I just wonder how deep you have to hammer the spots where the tire will rub? Should be easy enough to locate the right spot due to the rubbing marks though.

BTW thanks for reminding me that I'll need extended wheel studs and spacers...will probably go for the 15mm spacers and just roll the front fenders while enjoying that extra track up front.

Tire-wise, thinking of going for the Kumho V10s in 285/30/18 as a compromise between Advan A048s and Hoosiers...would like to try the Hoosiers but not sure if the A6s would last very long on trackdays or whether the R6s would be any good for AutoX so I figure the V10s are probably be the best compromise (going by the fact that Warrtalon seems happy to use them for both applications). A048s would probably last the longest by a long shot but I'm not so sure that they'd grip anywhere near as well as the more aggressive DOT-in-name-only R comps. Tried all the semislicks out there already anyways - A048, R888, RE55 - so figure it's time to go for something a little more extreme - the goal here is to get the absolute max grip possible for autoX and track and see just how many seconds I can shave off my lap times without spending anything on the motor (only 360 crank but dead reliable even in the desert heat).

OT slightly but I spotted some talk in another thread about the TRE built rear diffs that seemed interesting - wondering how the TRE rear diff route would compare to going for, say, a 1 way Cusco Type RS rear LSD?

Anyhows....tire/wheel shopping time! And yes, I'll definitely post up the "end result" when it's time :-D

Last edited by theshadow; Jun 22, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Buddy Club QF P1s are 16.1 lbs for 18x10s. Good Luck!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

I've been trying to source the 18x10 BC P1QF for 2 years to no avail. All I keep hearing is that they'll only build them in batches of 10 sets or more at a time. Plus, even though BC USA and BC Australia have the +35 listed, BC Japan says that offset does not exist. . .

One other option that you may look into is having a set custom built by CCW, Complete Custom Wheel. These are wider than what you're looking for, but it's just to give you an idea. (BTW, they only weigh 20# and they are bigger than 18x10)

Here are the seams that I had to massage . . . but with the Kumhos you most likely will never touch them . . .

Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Holycrap man those are HUGE!

And they fit under the stock bodywork???

Insane! And probably expensive too eh?

Yep guess the Buddy Clubs are vaporware then...might as well look at more realistic options. Weds or Nittos it looks like...let's see, the hunt is on 8)

Thanks for the tips, will keep the thread updated with any interesting I do or find out.

PS whose a good vendor to find rims, wheel studs and spacers in one place? I live a looooong way from Kansas, need to find a one stop online shop
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.optionimports.com/wheel-s...evo-8---9.html

The 15mm Ichiba spacers are a work of art. . . but I would not recommend their studs for your racing needs. Throw them out and get these:

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=1091

Sorry, don't know of one site that sells everything . . .
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
http://www.optionimports.com/wheel-s...evo-8---9.html

The 15mm Ichiba spacers are a work of art. . . but I would not recommend their studs for your racing needs. Throw them out and get these:

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=1091

Sorry, don't know of one site that sells everything . . .
Have you had problems with the Ichiba studs? I just got these spacers and was thinking that the Ichiba studs at least looked high quality?

Quick Reply: Wheel options for fitting 285/30 R compounds