Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Good non-directional tires?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Good non-directional tires?

Is there such a thing as good high performance non-directional tires?

I am a cheap bastard & my car is driven to & from work everyday, primarily in right hand on & off ramps, which I enjoy the ramps every time I get a clear run. I would like to rotate my tires in a fashion to where I can take advantage of a traditional tire rotation if possible without having to dis-mount the tires. My left side tires are shagged compared to the right side.

Any suggestions on non directional tires. I live in so ca., so rain & snow isnt a concern.

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Sport PS-2 is an excellent summer tire. Prob one of the top in its class right now. It has an asymmetrical design. The Avon Tech M500 is another asymmetrical tire. A step down in performance, but a bit better life and ride.

In a performance all season, the Sumitomo HTR+ is a great bang for the buck. Its symmetrical and would provide the best life and ride, but you will trade performance to get them.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for info neal. The PS-2 looks good. Especially since my previous choice would be the Goodyear F1 GS-D3.

I am especially concerned about wear, guessing, how much life can be expected from a 280 wear rating vs. a 220? I know that is a difficult question, considering 1 person can ruin a set of tires within 1/2 a day on a mountain road!!

Would either of these tires ride quieter over time more than another or will their road noise increase @ a similar pace?

Thanks again neal.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No problem at all On average, these max performance tires will see 15-20K miles. This is properly rotated, not crazy abused etc etc.. Any of the alt tires will ride quieter and last longer than the Advan. I'd probably say the PS-2 is one of the better riding and quieter of the bunch.