Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rims with no center cap/covers.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2004, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rims with no center cap/covers.

Hey guys/gals. I was wondering why alot of these rims (Enkei,GramLite,Advan etc) doesn't come or not even having a center cap/cover. Is this the new "thing" with these kind of light weight rims? In my opinion, it's not good having the center open like that because you can get alot of crap in the wheel bearings which is not good.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ex-honda
Hey guys/gals. I was wondering why alot of these rims (Enkei,GramLite,Advan etc) doesn't come or not even having a center cap/cover. Is this the new "thing" with these kind of light weight rims? In my opinion, it's not good having the center open like that because you can get alot of crap in the wheel bearings which is not good.
At least in some cases (my Rota Torque, for instance), the center caps just don't fit well or at all. I don't know if a lot of crap can get in the wheel bearings from the lack of center caps though.... I might be wrong, but I think those are sealed bearings and thusly they are protected from that type of thing...
Old Oct 8, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Most likely they are sealed bearings but when you start getting crap in their and water, it will eventually get inside and damage something.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Its a bad trend. First hand experience has allowed me to see, aluminum and steel mixed with water do NOT maintain tolerances. Even with center caps, corrosion is murder to lugs, hubs and etc. Now, add your hub centric rings which are a 100% necessity (centers the wheel on the hub), and you have a corrosion problem out the wah-zoo.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard that one reason some of those rims don't have center caps was that they were design to be light and for track use since after a race they tear the car down anyway. But since people like the design they buy them not realizing there might be some problems down the road. Also how can this be a bad trend. Do you know for a fact why some rims don't have a center cap/cover? Somebody here must have their reasoning.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

No center caps, no problems so far.

Old Oct 8, 2004, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

cause they will melt off at the track.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 07:47 AM
Account Disabled

I've run wheels without caps on several of my own cars over thelast 5-6 years without incident from moisture, salt, sand, etc.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ex-honda
Most likely they are sealed bearings but when you start getting crap in their and water, it will eventually get inside and damage something.
The center caps will not prevent water or moisture from entering the hub area. Those things arte basically for cosmetic purposes. They will keep out the bigger chunks of stuff but will not keep out very fine sand or dust. Those are the most likely to get past the bearing seals anyway. I don't think it makes much difference at all from a "safety" standpoint.
Oh yeah, the majority of cars come with steel wheels and wheel covers and those don do anything to seal the hub area. Also, trucks which see the harshest service, often used in construction areas and off road, run without any sort of center cap....
Old Oct 9, 2004, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

SilverEvo8, I strongly disagree. The amount of debri kept out on good aftermarket wheels with O-Ringed center caps preserve the hub/wheel portion. As for steel wheels, ever try getting one off thats been on for the duration of a cars 5 hard years? If so, we're in the same business and have seen it many times. If not, you'd realize, it's better to have SOMETHING than nothing. I can show you some horrible effects of neglect on wheels. Center caps are not the cure all, but they sure as hell dont hurt.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Center caps are not used hardly at all in Japan now, not the style I guess.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

most center caps looks ghey anyways
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotoo
most center caps looks ghey anyways
Actually having a good looking rim and having that stock center wheel bearing nut showing looks ghey.